Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Just watched his presser. Mark my words - this guy is going to last here. Won't complain about transfers and surely won't have any absurd requests regarding arrivals, meaning he won't be making 150-200M worth of targets every summer, which frankly is music to our board's ears. Also I think he'll have no problems reaching Top 4 every season as soon as he implements his football at the club. These (Top 4 every season and quiet transfer windows) are exactly what our nowadays board is looking for, so I think he'll be safe reaching these targets, regardless of silverware. Football is a business and the Chelsea board is no different to it, so as long as the team plays beautiful football and manages to get money into the club by qualifying to Champions League every year, while also spending less on the transfer market, his job is safe.

Best thing that would happen next IMO is to bring in a quality Director of Football like the one Monaco had a few years ago, somebody with an eye for great talent on the cheap that Sarri would nurture and bring to the next level. Judging by his words, he'd have no problem working like that. This, of course, given he'd be brought the talent to also fit his philosophy, not the young Cahills and Drinkwaters, but more of the young Jorginhos or ball playing centre halves etc. Think a partnership like this (Sarri + a quality Director of Football) would really work.

11 hours ago, NiclasCFC said:

Can we get rid of this cringey thread name please? Show some class and respect to our new man and name it "The Maurizio Sarri Thread" 

I don't even understand it. Is it supposed to be a pun, a joke or what? Yeah, get it right.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Imagine taking a thread title so seriously in a forum. It's just a THREAD TITLE for goodness sake!

Mate, people take everything seriously these days. Days ago someone was mad because the official twitter account kept posting the usual shit despite the Conte/Sarri soap opera. 2 days ago people were saying Conte is CLASS because of an ordinary official pr statement.

I actually doubt Roman has had a trigger happy attitude since Di Matteo. 

Benitez was always short term. And Mourinho was only fired after some testy public interviews which questioned players attitudes and left us 18th. The infamous 'individual' interview from Emanalo on 'palpable discord' didn't come out the blue. We were dangerously low in the league with a squad that was threatening to be torn apart from the manager. 

Let's be honest. Conte stays even finishing 5th if he doesn't constantly question  the player's quality and heap responsibility on the board (however much I agree with him). 

If Sarri plays good football, doesn't put undue pressure on the board or overly critical of the payers I don't see how he doesn't make 3 years. 

9 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

I actually doubt Roman has had a trigger happy attitude since Di Matteo. 

Benitez was always short term. And Mourinho was only fired after some testy public interviews which questioned players attitudes and left us 18th. The infamous 'individual' interview from Emanalo on 'palpable discord' didn't come out the blue. We were dangerously low in the league with a squad that was threatening to be torn apart from the manager. 

Let's be honest. Conte stays even finishing 5th if he doesn't constantly question  the player's quality and heap responsibility on the board (however much I agree with him). 

If Sarri plays good football, doesn't put undue pressure on the board or overly critical of the payers I don't see how he doesn't make 3 years. 

This notion of Roman being a trigger happy owner has always been overblown. You could make a case for Ancelotti but all the other managers were sacked with good reasons. Mourinho was successful but carried too much baggage in both spells and not to mention, he dragged us towards relegation in 2015/16. Grant was never going to stay and he, Scolari, AVB, Di Matteo were out of their depth. Conte could have stayed but he gave up last season and like Mourinho, carried too much baggage. Plus, people always say Roman doesn't give time to managers and yet, he gave plenty of time to AVB and Mourinho (second time around) to turn things around but ultimately had no choice when they couldn't do it and things became too dire. No one seems to acknowledge that because it doesn't fit into the whole Roman agenda, especially in the case with journalists and pundits. Sarri might not  win any trophy this coming season but he should be fine as long as he doesn't do a 2015/16 Mourinho or AVB, have a clear direction in getting the team to play good, progressive football and managing the players going forward and doesn't start picking fights with the board every week!

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

This notion of Roman being a trigger happy owner has always been overblown. You could make a case for Ancelotti but all the other managers were sacked with good reasons. Mourinho was successful but carried too much baggage in both spells and not to mention, he dragged us towards relegation in 2015/16. Grant was never going to stay and he, Scolari, AVB, Di Matteo were out of their depth. Conte could have stayed but he gave up last season and like Mourinho, carried too much baggage. Plus, people always say Roman doesn't give time to managers and yet, he gave plenty of time to AVB and Mourinho (second time around) to turn things around but ultimately had no choice when they couldn't do it and things became too dire. No one seems to acknowledge that because it doesn't fit into the whole Roman agenda, especially in the case with journalists and pundits. Sarri might not  win any trophy this coming season but he should be fine as long as he doesn't do a 2015/16 Mourinho or AVB, have a clear direction in getting the team to play good, progressive football and managing the players going forward and doesn't start picking fights with the board every week!

Looking with (extreme) hindsight you have to wonder if Jose leaving the first time was even a mistake. We defended a lot better but the attack was everybit as disjointed and clueless as the one he left in 2015, we all assumed he would have turned it around because well he's Mourinho, but looking how he's dealt with crisis periods since, could things have actually got worse?