Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

I don't know how sarri will do it, but he has to find a way to play emerson and zappacosta more. They provide the width that Alonso and Azpi could never dream to provide. The amount of forward runs they make and crosses they put in reminds me of Ashley cole and prime ivanovic. Sarri has to at least try emerson once in the first team lineup with Hazard. There is a reason why Guardiola spent 150mil on fullbacks and went on to win the league in record points, you can't have slow or defensive fullbacks in the modern game anymore.

CHO's performance in his first start for sarri just shows how much willian is limited as a player. He was better in his end product and even dribbling, I just hope the Sarri experiment to test CHO on the right wing was in view to play him more regularly from the bench on that right wing.

Giroud is by far better than Morata and it has been proved once again. Morata can cut his hair or change his jersey number all he wants but we cant rely on a moody striker to step up for us.

7 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

I don't know how sarri will do it, but he has to find a way to play emerson and zappacosta more. They provide the width that Alonso and Azpi could never dream to provide. The amount of forward runs they make and crosses they put in reminds me of Ashley cole and prime ivanovic. Sarri has to at least try emerson once in the first team lineup with Hazard. There is a reason why Guardiola spent 150mil on fullbacks and went on to win the league in record points, you can't have slow or defensive fullbacks in the modern game anymore.

CHO's performance in his first start for sarri just shows how much willian is limited as a player. He was better in his end product and even dribbling, I just hope the Sarri experiment to test CHO on the right wing was in view to play him more regularly from the bench on that right wing.

Giroud is by far better than Morata and it has been proved once again. Morata can cut his hair or change his jersey number all he wants but we cant rely on a moody striker to step up for us.

Morata is totally and utterly mentally destroyed. Look at his goal celebration last night, players look like they are rallying around him, it's like they feel sorry for him and console him when he scores.

I'd love to see Emerson start but I think Sarri has his main stays in the team and I think Alonso is one of them.

37 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Morata is totally and utterly mentally destroyed. Look at his goal celebration last night, players look like they are rallying around him, it's like they feel sorry for him and console him when he scores.

I'd love to see Emerson start but I think Sarri has his main stays in the team and I think Alonso is one of them.

Unfortunately only an injury will force Sarri to rotate or rest Alonso. I just hope his usual drop in the second half of the season (due to fatigue) doesn't affect us badly then.

5 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

Why is Sarri so insistent on choosing on players like Alonso that can't play his football

I cannot comprehend....complete and total antithesis to what he is used to in Napoli where he has mobile modern full backs pumping up and down the flanks...

1 hour ago, eemanyooel said:

I cannot comprehend....complete and total antithesis to what he is used to in Napoli where he has mobile modern full backs pumping up and down the flanks...

Nor did Conte like Emerson. Conte is a winner, he picks the players he believes give the biggest chance of winning. Sarri is a philosopher, he picks the players he believes can carry out his philosophy to maximum efficiency. So there must be something our peasant minds cannot comprehend - either Alonso is very good at something important that we don't see, or Emerson is so bad at something we put no great importance on, but managers do.

Instead of slating them and forcing our opinions on managers who are far more qualified to make those decisions, let's try to constructively understand WHY Alonso keeps playing while Emerson is a mickey mouse game option only.

I think there are two main reasons for that:

Goals - We lack firepower up front: Our midfield is more a provider than a scorer, our strikers stink so there is not much to whom to provide to. Our wingers also far from clinical, even though Hazard was carrying us earlier. Willian hopeless, a fucking center-back (JT) scored more than him in almost the same amount of games, Pedro old and injury-prone but by far the better option between the two. That's all we have to offer in terms of attacking prowess, it looks pretty bleak if you ask me, so the managers may look towards anything they can find that can produce goals. Alonso has proven that for a defender he scores more than average + his free-kicks are always potential game-changers.

Defending - Yes, he is much slower than Emerson, but his positioning, anticipation, tackling, marking etc. might be better than Emerson's. I'm not a professional football coach to fully understand all the intricacies of defending, I see only the basic stuff (like pace, slide tackles, clearances, blocks), but perhaps over the course of 90 minutes he IS the better defensive option?

49 minutes ago, manpe said:

Nor did Conte like Emerson. Conte is a winner, he picks the players he believes give the biggest chance of winning. Sarri is a philosopher, he picks the players he believes can carry out his philosophy to maximum efficiency. So there must be something our peasant minds cannot comprehend - either Alonso is very good at something important that we don't see, or Emerson is so bad at something we put no great importance on, but managers do.

Instead of slating them and forcing our opinions on managers who are far more qualified to make those decisions, let's try to constructively understand WHY Alonso keeps playing while Emerson is a mickey mouse game option only.

Goals - We lack firepower up front: Our midfield is more a provider than a scorer, our strikers stink so there is not much to whom to provide to. Our wingers also far from clinical, even though Hazard was carrying us earlier. Willian hopeless, a fucking center-back (JT) scored more than him in almost the same amount of games, Pedro old and injury-prone but by far the better option between the two. That's all we have to offer in terms of attacking prowess, it looks pretty bleak if you ask me, so the managers may look towards anything they can find that can produce goals. Alonso has proven that for a defender he scores more than average + his free-kicks are always potential game-changers.

Defending - Yes, he is much slower than Emerson, but his positioning, anticipation, tackling, marking etc. might be better than Emerson's. I'm not a professional football coach to fully understand all the intricacies of defending, I see only the basic stuff (like pace, slide tackles, clearances, blocks), but perhaps over the course of 90 minutes he IS the better defensive option?

Of course you do make logical presentations of the reason Alonso is ahead of Emerson but let's look look at the bigger picture and be realistic... Premier is highly competitive and has a lots of quality teams capable of punishing you...soon fatigue will set in and right now teams will start exploiting his side and unfortunately we have clown Luiz next to him Everton and Spurs have shown once Jorginho is crowded out of the game...80% of our attacking play is down the drain...at least let Sarri shore things or tweak a little bit and introduce this guy especially and see how he is gonna fair...

On 29/11/2018 at 9:46 AM, Mana said:

What's with these Italian managers and their stubbornness. Sarri has good attacking football tactics but has major flaws on what players he puts out or playing players out of position.

He doesn't trust Kante in his best ever position, where he has been a monster. We are wasting him. I'm so surprised he signed a new contract with us, but I'll take it.

Failing to use CHO and Emerson and continuously using terrible Willian....he even favours Willian over Pedro! WTFFFFFFFFF!

Luiz has been terrible, horrific...but I'll give Sarri a small pass on that because I don't see anyone much better. Christensen has been playing so poor lately. But I can flip it the other side...is it because he is not getting playing time?

And don't get me started on Morata.

Can't believe we are limping already to January. I just hope we are still within the top 4 by the next window to sort this out. And Sarri, I want to give you a slap in the FACE for even hinting these players are good enough and we don't need anyone in January.

Kante best position doesn't exist in Sarri'tactics, he's not a lone DM and never will be. 

14 hours ago, manpe said:

great post.

I'd add defending high balls as an obvious advantage that Alonso has, as well as his physicality (lacks pace, but loads of power). In attack I think he is WAY better on the ball than folks give him credit for esp passing. On the other hand I do agree he does not add width and cuts inside, which brings me to my other point:

"Our midfield is more a provider than a scorer, our strikers stink so there is not much to whom to provide to." I think not even that at the moment... they are more about ball retention and defending, and that's why Ross usually adds in attack. None of our AMs is great at assisting... (see disc of willian choosing to shoot vs passing). Our lack of width, with every winger and our LB (the RB does not count in the final third) cutting inside as opposed to producing a quick cross or pass, hurts our attacking esp the strikers. I'm not saying that either should be leading our line, but I'm confident both could be having better luck in a different team and setup elsewhere.

Like others have said, it's a work in progress...Also consider that Sarri does not work alone. That as soon as he joined the club, all chelsea coaches started providing him with information about each player. The players are constantly being assessed in practice, training, and matches...

Concerning the "if he had done this..." thing, it is cute and all, but in the end it is just a product of people's imaginations. They are "what if" moments complete biased by personal preference. I do that too like just everybody else (because it's fun!), but in the end it's up to us to know what's realistic and what is not.

15 hours ago, manpe said:

Goals 

Defending 

Alonso has ONE GOAL all year, all comps

Emerson's positional defensive play is equal to Alonso's and he has far better pace.

Alonso is so slow that he is even shit on overlapping runs oft-times. Emerson FINALLY looks to be getting back to pre-Roma injury pace, which is explosive compared to La Tortuga.

This point would have been a strong one if Alonso was scoring regularly but that's not the case. If he isn't scoring, what exactly does he contribute to the team offensively? I would argue that his goals can be offset by having a more dynamic full back who creates chances regularly for others to score. Heck, if our full back creates more chances, maybe our front attacking players would have gotten more goals!

Problem with Alonso is his severe lack of pace and because of that, he can't position himself too far forward and in case of turnover and he can't get back in time. As a result of that, it also hurts us going forward because we sometimes have one less option attacking wise and not to mention, Alonso can't beat players one-on-one, meaning we always have to play him into space etc to get him going.

19 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

great post, totally agree

What i am loving the most so far with Sarri is how open he is about the need to improve on the defensive phase and how much work still needs to be done on it. How many times down the years have we seen a manager with an attacking philosophy arrogantly look down their nose at defense play like it was beneath them and bang on about their principles or whatever bolax after a defensive horror show? To say im relieved Sarri isn't of that mould is a massively misguided understatement.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

This point would have been a strong one if Alonso was scoring regularly but that's not the case. If he isn't scoring, what exactly does he contribute to the team offensively? I would argue that his goals can be offset by having a more dynamic full back who creates chances regularly for others to score. Heck, if our full back creates more chances, maybe our front attacking players would have gotten more goals!

Problem with Alonso is his severe lack of pace and because of that, he can't position himself too far forward and in case of turnover and he can't get back in time. As a result of that, it also hurts us going forward because we sometimes have one less option attacking wise and not to mention, Alonso can't beat players one-on-one, meaning we always have to play him into space etc to get him going.

5 hours ago, Vesper said:

Alonso has ONE GOAL all year, all comps

Emerson's positional defensive play is equal to Alonso's and he has far better pace.

Alonso is so slow that he is even shit on overlapping runs oft-times. Emerson FINALLY looks to be getting back to pre-Roma injury pace, which is explosive compared to La Tortuga.

Yeah, agree with everything. But I have a feeling that this goalscoring/free-kick thing comes into their thinking when choosing him or Emerson. Another thing that probably comes into the manager's mind is his physicality and usefulness in the air... but that is sooo Mourinho. I really don't see compelling reasons why Alonso is so strongly ahead of him.

Why a shift to 4-2-3-1 could solve Chelsea’s midfield woes

https://eurofantasyleague.com/news/2018/11/29/why-a-shift-to-4-2-3-1-could-solve-chelseas-midfield-woes/#.XAKar9tKjIV

In truth, last Saturday’s 3-1 loss to Tottenham Hotspur flattered Chelsea. The gulf in class between the two teams at Wembley was much vaster than a two-goal margin would suggest, as Spurs comprehensively outplayed their London rivals to climb above them and into third place in the Premier League table.

Chelsea were exposed defensively against Mauricio Pochettino’s men, with David Luiz particularly shaky up against a lively front three of Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Son Heung-min. The post-mortem has focused more on the makeup of the Blues’ midfield, though, after Jorginho was effectively shackled by Alli and N’Golo Kante again looked uncomfortable in a No.8 role.

There have been many calls for Maurizio Sarri to return Kante to his favoured position in front of the backline for this weekend’s clash with Fulham, but while there is no doubt that the Frenchman does his best work when stationed in a deeper midfield berth, there is no chance that Jorginho will be moved from that position any time soon.

Sarri was only installed as Chelsea’s next manager after pre-season had begun in the summer, and the Brazil-born Italy international was the sole outfield signing he was permitted to make before the start of his debut campaign in English football. Jorginho had previously been linked with Manchester City, but the chance to hook up with his former Napoli boss at Stamford Bridge tipped the balance in Chelsea’s favour.

His importance to the cause was evidenced in the opening weeks of the season, as Jorginho quickly established himself as the most prolific passer in the division. Chelsea’s build-up play flowed through the 26-year-old, who was also noticeably vocal in instructing his team-mates to take up the type of positions he knew his manager liked. Jorginho’s presence in the heart of the side certainly helped Sarri get his ideas across quickly, and a 12-game unbeaten start was more than most fans were expecting.

Opponents soon recognised how fundamental Jorginho was to the Chelsea system, though, and Everton duly nullified him in a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge, before Tottenham did the same last time out. Nevertheless, swapping the ex-Verona man and Kante is not the solution to this issue.

snip

much more at the link

@Mana ^ We are now truly in transition. If you expected an easy ride and that we'd be blowing away established teams like United, Spurs and Pool, then you were wrong. No, not comparable to Arsenal's transition, as they already had the players fit for this style, style which in its core is the same as Wenger's. They were always going to get better, Wenger was so clueless, Emery is making them play to their full potential. We got Sarri in to shift us from ultra-defensive counter-attacking side to his possession based quick attacking style, but handed him square pegs to fit into round holes. It is a process that needs time and several transfer windows to take us up some levels.

Why are you always so negative? One loss to a strong team that finished 7pts above us last season, and it's December. I expected WAY worse considering this is our biggest transition in Roman era. It is a work in progress, not the end result.