Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Outside the box thinking here...

what about a 3-1-3-3 formation?

GK Kepa

LCB Rudiger

CCB Luiz

RCB Azpi

DMF Destroyer Kante (who, along with the CB's instantly sets up the offence by getting the ball to Jorginho after a pressing turnover or a takeawy)

DH Playmaker Jorginho

CMF Box to Box/AMF hybrid  Kovacic

AMF Barkley or RLC

LW Hazard

RW Pedro or Willian

CF Giroud or Morata

would look like this:

Hazard               Giroud                  Pedro/Willian

Barkley/RLC

Kovacic                                          

Jorginho

<<<<<<<<    Kante      >>>>>>>>> 

Rudiger                                               Luiz                                                   Azpi

Kepa

It would seem to put Kante back in a position where he can go back to what he does best, wreaking havoc as a true DMF floater. It also takes pressure off Luiz and allows Azpi to concentrate on defence. Only player we drop is the turtle Alonso.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Vesper said:

GK Kepa

LCB Rudiger

CCB Luiz

RCB Azpi

DMF Destroyer Kante (who, along with the CB's instantly sets up the offence by getting the ball to Jorginho after a pressing turnover or a takeawy)

DH Playmaker Jorginho

AMF Barkley or RLC

LW Hazard

RW Pedro or Willian

CF Giroud or Morata

would look like this:

Barkley/RLC

Kovacic                                          

Jorginho

Rudiger                                               Luiz                                                   Azpi

Kepa

It would seem to put Kante back in a position where he can go back to what he does best, wreaking havoc as a true DMF floater. It also takes pressure off Luiz and allows Azpi to concentrate on defence. Only player we drop is the turtle Alonso.

Thoughts?

Without full/wing-backs we would struggle defensively a lot, for that reason alone I wouldn't try that.

49 minutes ago, Vesper said:

But we would have an extra CB, AND an unleashed full destroyer Kante to cover the gaps

plus the 3 OTHER MF'ers to press higher, and both the wingers too

Everything can be made to sound right in theory as each system has its strengths and ideal scenarios, but when I close my eyes and imagine us playing this way I see many diagonal balls destroying our flanks, and I also wouldn't want to make tracking back and defending one of Hazard's priorities again.

30 minutes ago, manpe said:

Everything can be made to sound right in theory as each system has its strengths and ideal scenarios, but when I close my eyes and imagine us playing this way I see many diagonal balls destroying our flanks, and I also wouldn't want to make defending one of Hazard's priorities again.

I would love to hear Sarri's thoughts on this

Kante is the key, he is so unique I think he would just wreak havoc to the point where diagonals wouldn't matter, as we also have an extra CB to cover the flanks

the overload pressure on the opposing team, I would think, would be overwhelming

I don't think Hazard would have that much more defensive responsibility as we would have the other 2 MF'ers to give width defensive as well, with Jorginho floating in a regista role, waiting for the ball to set up play

he would get the ball from either the front 5

or Kante behind/beside/in front of him (Kante can appear to be in 3 places at once after all, IN HIS OLD ROLE, lolol)

OR

one of the 3 CB's (who also give width to our flanking cover)

I soo want to pick Sarri's brain on this!! LOLOLOLOL

I am really good at spatial envisioning (not just in footie) so my wife and I have been talking about thsi for a month plus before I dropped it in here

I can find NO trace on the web about a  3-1-3-3  (or another variant we came up with, 3-1-2-1-3 (which would have double registas  (backed up by Kante again and giving additional MF deep covering width as they (the 2 registas) would play a partitioned (ie. half the field) Jorginho role) and an pure floating trequartista feeding the front three (thus the 2-1 in bold) Call it a 3-1-3-3 with a more pronounced forward triangle in MF (the trequartista being the tip of the MF spear)  and then another (the front 3) triangle, which would be either inverted (wingers ahead of the CF) or forward thrusting (CF ahead of the wingers) depending on the game play situation leading up to the ball being in that last 3rd of the pitch

in either (they are VERY similar)  formation, the entire team would act with an accordion-like compression/relaxation action, and rotated to cover, so I truly think width issues would be solved

9 hours ago, Vesper said:

GK Kepa

LCB Rudiger

CCB Luiz

RCB Azpi

DH Playmaker Jorginho

AMF Barkley or RLC

LW Hazard

RW Pedro or Willian

CF Giroud or Morata

would look like this:

Barkley/RLC

Kovacic                                          

Jorginho

Kepa

Thoughts?

Sarri has said that he doesn't like 3/5 ATB.  I can't find the source, but I believe he was directly asked about it.  Though, it should be said that we effectively do attack in a 343 diamond.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Kante is kind of a rotation option right now.  Against the bigger teams, no doubter.  But against opposition that we need to break down, we may find that Kovacic and Barkley/RLC might be a better option.

Kante is the best midfield destroyer out there, but in a team that has the ball 60-70% of the time, that's less of a need.  If he can start getting further up the pitch and doing his thing of winning the ball back, but in the final 3rd or opponents half, it should lead to a lot of goals.  I'm hoping this happens.

2 hours ago, quickpassnmove said:

We're one or two players away (departing club) from being a completely mediocre side with a few excellent players that turn heads.

Pull Hazard, Jorginho, Kovacic and Rudiger out and keep Sarri (and thus his system that nullifies Kante by putting him a bad-fit role) the team as it is now is fucked.

Oh, btw, 2 of those 4 are probably gone in the summer:(

3 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Sarri has said that he doesn't like 3/5 ATB. 

yes but my formation is unlike any of those typical back 3 Conte style Italian set ups.

I do not like them either

boring as fuck footie, even when you win, which soon doesn't happen,

especially if we played Conte ball with some of the shit we have now

oh, that's right, we did that last year, lololol

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

Pull Hazard, Jorginho, Kovacic and Rudiger out and keep Sarri (and thus his system that nullifies Kante by putting him a bad-fit role) the team as it is now is fucked.

Oh, btw, 2 of those 4 are probably gone in the summer:(

Chelsea should be very aggressive for attackers in the January window and grab defenders and maybe another attacker in the summer. Getting attackers in January should mean Eden has better reasons to stay.

I think (hope?) Madrid will be in a transition phase for 2-3 seasons even though their captain and some other strong players remain there. Eden Hazard coming to Madrid will NOT re-ignite the drive for more trophies while Ramos is young enough. However, if Madrid were to buy the top striker before the summer window or early, I suppose there would be greater reason to think Madrid can re-shape themselves quickly. So, this is one big reason why Chelsea should be grabbing 1 or 2 high quality players as early as they can --before Madrid or anyone else can act.

14 hours ago, Vesper said:

yes but my formation is unlike any of those typical back 3 Conte style Italian set ups.

I do not like them either

boring as fuck footie, even when you win, which soon doesn't happen,

especially if we played Conte ball with some of the shit we have now

oh, that's right, we did that last year, lololol

I understand, it's more of a 343 like LVG's Ajax side or Cruyff's Barcelona team.

Pep lines up with that from time to time:  http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/08/29/barcelona-5-0-villarreal-tactics/  But only really against specific formations.

Pep got it from Cruyff, but there's still a playmaker at the base of the diamond:  https://spielverlagerung.com/2016/03/25/retro-analysis-1992-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/

Same with LVG:  https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/12/29/1995-cl-final-afc-ajax-ac-milan-10/

1 hour ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I understand, it's more of a 343 like LVG's Ajax side or Cruyff's Barcelona team.

Pep lines up with that from time to time:  http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/08/29/barcelona-5-0-villarreal-tactics/  But only really against specific formations.

Pep got it from Cruyff, but there's still a playmaker at the base of the diamond:  https://spielverlagerung.com/2016/03/25/retro-analysis-1992-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/

Same with LVG:  https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/12/29/1995-cl-final-afc-ajax-ac-milan-10/

Well, I am in good company with Pep and Cruyff! LOLOL