Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

10 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Well you said he's not good for EPL. Again, I hate him.

Well, he is as good for PL as Moses is.

And that's what the right tactics and formations do. It gets the best out of bang average players, be it Alonso or Moses or John o Shea or Wes brown. 

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Alonso isn't even good at LWB. The moment teams realised they should put pressure on him and Moses, their limited ability vastly showed. 

I was begging for Sandro or an upgrade around February 2017 

beg to differ. What you said applies to pretty much every player and system. Moses also did not have as much an impact as Alonso did... (where in the world is Moses?) Alonso also had quite a few MoTM performances as a LWB, with important goals and assists. While I understand folks are unhappy with him, and his contract extension, he did do well under Conte. Signing a new deal after good performances is not that crazy.

I kinda find it hard to criticise the player when he's consistently poor in a system/position/role, when it is the manager who insists in doing the same and expecting a different result. While I disagree with the notion that everything that is bad with the club is because of the poor FBs, because I think it's about the system, he's definitely not great in that position/role.

Take last game for example: I thought he was OK. Absolutely horrible crossing, as usual, but lovely passing (ironic). One exchange with Eden in particular was pretty impressive, with alonso producing a perfectly weighted throughball back to eden. And he won the header that tied the game... players capable of these key moments are a bit under appreciated around here IMO. Perhaps because we are used to a key player who has not delivered many key moments in CL games for example, but that's a totally different rabbit hole. :) 

Want to give Sarri some credit for his XI tonight but feel like that would be a wrong thing to do given he has reverted to type in the past after making the right changes. Gotta question how much of tonight's XI was done 'voluntarily' and how much was done because of the protest on Sunday and he wanted to appease the fans as well as save his job.

Also, he was busy flogging players to death earlier this season, especially during the busy festive period but he's now suddenly busy rotating players in the run-in...just bizarre!

9 minutes ago, Bobo said:

Even Zappa->Azpi felt like a good sub today...

But it's nonsense really when you look at the bigger picture. Sarri flogged Azpi to death in previous months, even played him in Europa League games but has suddenly decided to bring Zappacosta back in so that he can try and rotate with Azpi. :doh: 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

But it's nonsense really when you look at the bigger picture. Sarri flogged Azpi to death in previous months, even played him in Europa League games but has suddenly decided to bring Zappacosta back in so that he can try and rotate with Azpi. :doh: 

It was probably just before or around this time with Napoli he blew a title challenge due to not rotating a few seasons ago. The bad run of form hasnt helped us, I thought after he started rotating Emerson and Alonso he would continue to rotate more with the likes of RLC, Christensen, Giroud and CHO but a lot of bad results may have forced his hand into picking a more settled XI over a more rotated one like tonight for instance. Who knows. I think next season if he gets kept, he will trust the likes of Andreas, Callum, Ruben and Emerson a lot lot more. He has to in all honesty. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Want to give Sarri some credit for his XI tonight but feel like that would be a wrong thing to do given he has reverted to type in the past after making the right changes. Gotta question how much of tonight's XI was done 'voluntarily' and how much was done because of the protest on Sunday and he wanted to appease the fans as well as save his job.

Also, he was busy flogging players to death earlier this season, especially during the busy festive period but he's now suddenly busy rotating players in the run-in...just bizarre!

I do think there is a part of Sarri having to get used to the league this season because the intensity is completely different to what he will have experienced in Italy. Added to that 2 domestic cups and the Europa League, I think he's had to learn the hard way with rotating the squad because as you alluded to there wasn't enough of it happening earlier in the season.

CHO and RLC in particular (Emerson and Christensen can also be thrown in the mix) should be fresh for the run-in and having a couple of attacking options like that should be a huge benefit.

It is hard, I do want to give Sarri time and part of me is intrigued if he can improve things next season (particularly if we have a transfer ban). But by and large, his stubborn nature and the standard of football this season has been uninspiring and desperately frustrating.

Monday's game could be the key. If he turns around and fields the same team against West Ham then I'll be feeling more optimistic about our chances in the run in. Rotation can still take place, because tonight's team can play against West Ham and Liverpool and the other players could play the Europa game so that shouldn't be an excuse.

Hope this is more or less he is starting team until the end of the season. There is no point strolling with the same players he has all season, because that team has gotten worse. Reward the players who played one of our best performances in recent months. Sarri has talked about how he can't motivate this team, maybe arguably the biggest reason is you don't reward good performances and punish bad performances. Players who perform find themselves back on the bench, while the players that underperform get rewarded with more playing time. 

10 hours ago, Jason said:

he was asked about that at the beginning of the season and he gave the answer to that 

If he keeps up with this line up then he will of both motivated the players, and the fans.

It's not difficult to see that RLC offered more last night than both Barkley and Kovacic have nearly all season. This goes back to to playing players with reputation as opposed to form, it simply cannot keep reverting to type and the old faces come back in.

RLC and CHO are going to grow game after game in confidence, set them free.

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I do think there is a part of Sarri having to get used to the league this season because the intensity is completely different to what he will have experienced in Italy. Added to that 2 domestic cups and the Europa League, I think he's had to learn the hard way with rotating the squad because as you alluded to there wasn't enough of it happening earlier in the season.

It remains to be seen if Sarri has learned anything from it but he shouldn't have to experience it to know you gotta rotate when the team have to play every 3-4 days, regardless of the intensity. It's not rocket science and this isn't his first season of managing a team who have to play a lot of midweek games either. 

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Monday's game could be the key. If he turns around and fields the same team against West Ham then I'll be feeling more optimistic about our chances in the run in. Rotation can still take place, because tonight's team can play against West Ham and Liverpool and the other players could play the Europa game so that shouldn't be an excuse.

Here's the tricky thing - the Premier League is obviously the more 'prestigious' competition but our best bet of getting Champions League football next season is via the Europa League, IMO. So does he rotate against West Ham and play last night's XI against Slavia Prague or does he do it the other way and risk us struggling against Slavia Prague?

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

It remains to be seen if Sarri has learned anything from it but he shouldn't have to experience it to know you gotta rotate when the team have to play every 3-4 days, regardless of the intensity. It's not rocket science and this isn't his first season of managing a team who have to play a lot of midweek games either. 

Here's the tricky thing - the Premier League is obviously the more 'prestigious' competition but our best bet of getting Champions League football next season is via the Europa League, IMO. So does he rotate against West Ham and play last night's XI against Slavia Prague or does he do it the other way and risk us struggling against Slavia Prague?

Given how hit and miss all our rivals are aswell as us it won't take much for all of a sudden momentum to swing in our favour.

A win at West Ham followed up by a positive result at Anfield (which I think we will actually get) and all off a sudden momentum's with us and we are looking good for 4th if not 3rd.