Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

24 minutes ago, DDA said:

I do understand alot of what people are saying but comon, we aren't talking about Kakuta here. CHO is already a better player than Willian. I don't give a flying fuck if anybody disagrees. I see it for myself. He should be in the squad over Willian. End of.

Im sorry but it's not as straight forward as that, there's a reason very few 17 year olds play regular top flight football, even god like talents like Messi, Mbappe and Hazard made around 10-15 appearances at the same age.  You could say Messi at 17 was better that Ludovic Guily, but the latter was getting the game time.

I would wager CHO and Amps will be top two in terms of the 17-18 academic age group lads with first team minutes in Europe this season.

As someone alluded to on a previous post, we're currently playing once a week with a fully fit squad for selection.

And pre season cannot be compared to competitive games, the need to perform under pressure and expectation to win. The likes of Ampadu and CHO need to gain that experience by having it drip-fed to them and not 'thrown to the wolves'. Playing in the league cup which is our lowest priority, and getting minutes as subs in games that have been largely won but need seeing out is the first step and is built on from there.

Next month when the games come thick and fast, international periods, injuries and suspensions, they'll both get chances I'm sure of it and its then up to them to impress. 

As Tomo said, 10-15 games this season is progress for both and that is built on each year. 2-3 seasons from now we will hopefully be looking at both of these boys as first choice in their respective positions, anything earlier is a bonus.

Same story, different season.

Youngsters will most likely barely feature during the season. Whoever is in charge of Chels will always have more interest in producing results rather than developing raw youngsters and academy products.

The Chelsea way is to go out on loan, greatly impress and you might get the chance to come back and be a part of the squad. Only a Messi level talent has a shot of making the jump from academy to first team regular or first XI.

The only way I can see the dynamic at the club changing is if the coach has four or five full seasons under his belt, feels comfortable in that manager seat and wants to create a legacy.

I think everyone here needs to be reminded that this season we play on Thursdays(!). Which means that most of the time we'll be literally fielding a second XI in those games. Even Kante can't play on Thursday evening and the right after that on Saturday noon.

Thus, Hudson will get his chances this year.

10 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

As someone alluded to on a previous post, we're currently playing once a week with a fully fit squad for selection.

And pre season cannot be compared to competitive games, the need to perform under pressure and expectation to win. The likes of Ampadu and CHO need to gain that experience by having it drip-fed to them and not 'thrown to the wolves'. Playing in the league cup which is our lowest priority, and getting minutes as subs in games that have been largely won but need seeing out is the first step and is built on from there.

Next month when the games come thick and fast, international periods, injuries and suspensions, they'll both get chances I'm sure of it and its then up to them to impress. 

As Tomo said, 10-15 games this season is progress for both and that is built on each year. 2-3 seasons from now we will hopefully be looking at both of these boys as first choice in their respective positions, anything earlier is a bonus.

It is true, however was reading the Chelsea youth twitter page and it was in reference to Reiss Nelson being set to join Hoffenheim. Someone mentioned that he will get chances on the EL and cup games then the Chelsea youth twitter page made a valuable point in saying that CHO could go to the Bundesliga for a very respectable team and be playing every week. Look at Jadon Sancho. He features for Dortmund virtually every week and was regularly playing for them ages 17. CHO could easily do the same. He seems pretty level headed too as in he won't just sign a contract because the money is very lucrative. He wants to play. What will be telling is when we play Liverpool in the cup. I hope and expect him to start, however if he does not, would be really disappointing. CHO is surely thinking about this and you are getting an increasing amount of young English players who are going abroad to seek opportunities to play.

In CHO case, he could easily play week in week out at a very good team across Europe. 10-15 games is decent progress for a player but not if it is going to be the same for season after season, especially when at the age he is now and quality he has, he could be playing regular football now.

11 minutes ago, Stats said:

It is true, however was reading the Chelsea youth twitter page and it was in reference to Reiss Nelson being set to join Hoffenheim. Someone mentioned that he will get chances on the EL and cup games then the Chelsea youth twitter page made a valuable point in saying that CHO could go to the Bundesliga for a very respectable team and be playing every week. Look at Jadon Sancho. He features for Dortmund virtually every week and was regularly playing for them ages 17. CHO could easily do the same. He seems pretty level headed too as in he won't just sign a contract because the money is very lucrative. He wants to play. What will be telling is when we play Liverpool in the cup. I hope and expect him to start, however if he does not, would be really disappointing. CHO is surely thinking about this and you are getting an increasing amount of young English players who are going abroad to seek opportunities to play.

In CHO case, he could easily play week in week out at a very good team across Europe. 10-15 games is decent progress for a player but not if it is going to be the same for season after season, especially when at the age he is now and quality he has, he could be playing regular football now.

If he doesn't get sufficient game time this season or come January, then I think he will be loaned out and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Germany. Ampadu too.

Ironically the best two players to come back from loans in recent years had successful spells in Germany (Christensen and De Bruyne). 

But this isn't a case like RLC who I think we failed by loaning him out far too late. These boys are still only 17. If they don't get the opportunities here, then they're still young enough to go on to a successful loan next season.

1 hour ago, Stats said:

Sancho played 12 times mainly from the bench, CHO wouldn't be starting every week in a major league. Nelsens also an academic year older aswell.

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If he doesn't get sufficient game time this season or come January, then I think he will be loaned out and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Germany. Ampadu too.

Ironically the best two players to come back from loans in recent years had successful spells in Germany (Christensen and De Bruyne). 

But this isn't a case like RLC who I think we failed by loaning him out far too late. These boys are still only 17. If they don't get the opportunities here, then they're still young enough to go on to a successful loan next season.

I'm afraid we will lose them both mate. 2 of the best youmg talents to come from the academy

Both contracts expire same time as Edens but we have offered CHO a new 5 year one apparently in July with no sign of pen to psper  and you know damned well all the big clubs are putting feelers out for him. The kids been with us 11 years he deserves to be given a chance and after the pre season I dont understand why hes not in before Willian.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Sancho played 12 times mainly from the bench, CHO wouldn't be starting every week in a major league. Nelsens also an academic year older aswell.

I genuinely believe CHO could go to a lot of teams and be a regular starter or regular rotation. I pray he signs a new contract here, however I am just looking at the other picture as if I was CHO, and I had that good of a pre-season and then did not find myself at least on the bench, I would be annoyed. 

7 hours ago, Stats said:

I genuinely believe CHO could go to a lot of teams and be a regular starter or regular rotation. I pray he signs a new contract here, however I am just looking at the other picture as if I was CHO, and I had that good of a pre-season and then did not find myself at least on the bench, I would be annoyed. 

I'd be fuckin pissed off and wonder why I had been at a club since I was 7 years old!

On 8/30/2018 at 8:23 AM, Tomo said:

Im sorry but it's not as straight forward as that, there's a reason very few 17 year olds play regular top flight football, even god like talents like Messi, Mbappe and Hazard made around 10-15 appearances at the same age.  You could say Messi at 17 was better that Ludovic Guily, but the latter was getting the game time.

I would wager CHO and Amps will be top two in terms of the 17-18 academic age group lads with first team minutes in Europe this season.

You make a fair point. I'll just have to be patient. 

1 hour ago, DDA said:

You make a fair point. I'll just have to be patient. 

We so need to tie up CHO on a new contract. He is out of contract in 22 months. Would be a catastrophe to lose him to Shitty or Real or PSG or Barca or Bayern or Juve. They all are sniffing around. To lose him AND Hazard would fuck us up to no end. Next summer they both have the whip hand on us if they refuse to renew. We would lose both a free the summer after that. That's the type of blow that is hard to recover from, especially if we got zero quid in return.

This is exactly what I mean about how absolutely shit our board is. I look at both near and long term event horizons in terms of all my moves I posit. We have a pack of rapidly ageing players who will garnish us shit in resale value that is vital due to our one-out-before-one-in overall policy (Cahill, Luiz, Fabregas, Pedro, Willian, Giroud) plus the next tier in Azpi and Drinkwater, both of whom will be 30 next season.

Summer 2019 is going to be the most important to our club since the first 2 windows under Roman. If we don't play cards right, we could be staring down table of a disastrous 2020-21 season, (especially if we lose Eden and CHO on frees), unless we drop well in excess of £200m net in summer 2020. 

Anyone who thinks my list of ageing players will still be going strong in 2020-21 is in for one hell of a rude awakening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

he should leave tbh, there will always be a piss poor senior backup like moses, who will get the nod over potentially elite youngster. The manager will choose the backup to avoid rocking the boat and keep the squad happy, killing off the young talent in the process. It isn't logical, but it's the reality. 

Jadon Sancho and Mason Mount are called to play with the senior team of england, while Hudson-Odoi can't get on the bench vs Videoton. If I were him I'd seriously consider leaving. He's talented enough to start for most teams in the EPL.

7 minutes ago, Rapkun said:

Jadon Sancho and Mason Mount are called to play with the senior team of england, while Hudson-Odoi can't get on the bench vs Videoton. If I were him I'd seriously consider leaving. He's talented enough to start for most teams in the EPL.

I think he probably is. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes down the route Sancho has gone. There is no reasonable explanation I will take from anyone about why he is  not in the team tonight. This would be a perfect game for him to showcase his talents again. And we are not helping our main first team by this. This will cost us in the league.

On 9/27/2018 at 4:01 AM, lucio said:

he should leave tbh, there will always be a piss poor senior backup like moses, who will get the nod over potentially elite youngster. The manager will choose the backup to avoid rocking the boat and keep the squad happy, killing off the young talent in the process. It isn't logical, but it's the reality. 

A good example is RLC, he has less minutes played than Mount who is 3 years his junior. He should take responsiblity with his talent and move to a lower team. Get the experience, if Chelsea want him then they have to pay for him. He is too talented to waste his career on the bench.