Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

I like Buy back. 

If he doesn't want to sign a contract, that is the best option available. 

People trot this out ignoring, or seemingly ignoring, the fact that anything which goes into a contract is a matter for negotiation. If Player and buying club do not agree than there's no buyback. Given that in six months time Callum will be available for a 'development' fee only, one possibly set by an independent body if the clubs don't agree, Chelsea's bargaining power is quite limited.

Worse, if press stories are to be believed, Bayern keep upping their bid. That must mean that they are getting encouraging noises from Callum's camp. Worrying.

5 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

People trot this out ignoring, or seemingly ignoring, the fact that anything which goes into a contract is a matter for negotiation. If Player and buying club do not agree than there's no buyback. Given that in six months time Callum will be available for a 'development' fee only, one possibly set by an independent body if the clubs don't agree, Chelsea's bargaining power is quite limited.

Worse, if press stories are to be believed, Bayern keep upping their bid. That must mean that they are getting encouraging noises from Callum's camp. Worrying.

He has a year and a half left on his contract. Wouldn't the development fee be applicable if he left next summer, not this one?

Just now, Miguelito said:

He has a year and a half left on his contract. Wouldn't the development fee be applicable if he left next summer, not this one?

My mistake then. Thanks for the correction. 18 months gives us more power at the negotiation table.

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

My mistake then. Thanks for the correction. 18 months gives us more power at the negotiation table.

Agreed. I would be fine with him not signing a contract in January, but not leaving. It would let him see the season out and see if he is actually going to get regular playing time now that Sarri has seemed to come around. We may lose 10 mil if bayern come back in the summer and he still wants to leave. But that 10 mil is worth the risk.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

he just lost an important game - leave him alone. :)

How did he play (against Spurs)? Considering the lack of understanding with his teammates, naturally.

But did he look lively? Tracked back when necessary not letting players walk past him. Did he make runs without the football?

The game was held hostage in ESPN+ so likely no one saw it in the US.

Played well. Far from the finished product which is why people shouldn't start losing their shit each game he doesn't start but the last couple of games he has played with a far greater maturity than previously. I'm just as happy to see a willingness for him to track back and press properly, and mix his game up between taking a player on and playing the safe ball back. Sarri is correct, his tactical understanding has improved a lot recently and he gives us an extra attacking option which currently can only be a positive.

From what Sarri said after the game, I think it bodes well for him that he should get a good amount of game time between now and the end of the season and Sarri trusts to play him. Hopefully he decides to stay.

I'll reiterate my stance this whole time, if I was the club I'd tell him to stay the rest of this season and take stock of the situation at the end of the season. If he even managed 10-12 games until the end of the season in all competitions (I believe there are more opportunities available than that) then he'll have played about 20 games this season which isn't bad for an 18 year old and it might help prove to him that the pathway is there for him to break into this side regularly.

4 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Played well. Far from the finished product which is why people shouldn't start losing their shit each game he doesn't start but the last couple of games he has played with a far greater maturity than previously. I'm just as happy to see a willingness for him to track back and press properly, and mix his game up between taking a player on and playing the safe ball back. Sarri is correct, his tactical understanding has improved a lot recently and he gives us an extra attacking option which currently can only be a positive.

From what Sarri said after the game, I think it bodes well for him that he should get a good amount of game time between now and the end of the season and Sarri trusts to play him. Hopefully he decides to stay.

I'll reiterate my stance this whole time, if I was the club I'd tell him to stay the rest of this season and take stock of the situation at the end of the season. If he even managed 10-12 games until the end of the season in all competitions (I believe there are more opportunities available than that) then he'll have played about 20 games this season which isn't bad for an 18 year old and it might help prove to him that the pathway is there for him to break into this side regularly.

All the points you are making would be absolutely valid and fair if we had some decent players in front him in the pecking order. The kid played his first serious professional game and already looked a far greater threat than Willian. Pedro is also bang average, nothing special. Bloody hell Sarri even picked Moses early on in the season. 

10 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Thanks for the writeup.

The only risk here is that we'd lose the first 6mo leverage. The only leverage the club has atm is the 1 and a half year and the fact the club can remove him from rotation entirely (until his contract runs out), which would prob be pretty detrimental to his development.

The talk with him, or likely, his agent would be  that we cannot guarantee any playing time unless the player extends his contract... In all honestly 30mi for him is peanuts and the club should never take that.

Wont lie regarding CHO. Hypothetically speaking, what manager in the world would come here, where they dont get a lot of time unless they can win trophies and play a 18 year old every week ahead of Willian and Pedro? 

I think every manager who comes in the door understands how the club works based on history. Theres too much pressure and demand to compete and win trophies sooner rather than later.

Not many top clubs in the PL play 18 year olds every week. Maybe Liverpool with Trent Arnold-Alexander, before that United with Rashford (only because of an injury crisis)... City dont even play Phil Foden a lot who is a hugely hugely talented footballer and on par or better than the likes of Sancho in terms of talent.

12 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Wont lie regarding CHO. Hypothetically speaking, what manager in the world would come here, where they dont get a lot of time unless they can win trophies and play a 18 year old every week ahead of Willian and Pedro? 

I think every manager who comes in the door understands how the club works based on history. Theres too much pressure and demand to compete and win trophies sooner rather than later.

Not many top clubs in the PL play 18 year olds every week. Maybe Liverpool with Trent Arnold-Alexander, before that United with Rashford (only because of an injury crisis)... City dont even play Phil Foden a lot who is a hugely hugely talented footballer and on par or better than the likes of Sancho in terms of talent.

Agree 100% there is just as much questions to be asked of our board and their management between short and long term as their is Sarri. And for the record, how can anyone honestly argue that much against the board's decision making for the large part when you look at what we've won. We've always set up for win now not build to win later, and the results speak for themselves over the last 15 years.

You're right with Rashford and I believe TAA may have had the same situation at Liverpool when Clyne got injured. It has as much to do with luck sometimes getting the opportunity and then it is up to the player to take said chances. Ironically CHO would likely have had this a couple of weeks ago when we were stretched in the attacking roles but he too was injured. Foden has barely had a look in at City and that is despite KDB being out most of the season and David Silva not playing every game. We're not the only team in this sort of position but our manager probably has the worst job security.