Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

1 hour ago, DDA said:

Our board are truly lost. I'm pretty certain at this point that they have nobody actually doing their homework on managers and players ect. It's as if they see who's the current flavour of the month and go with that. Zero long term planning.

They have always been POOR at talent judging and buys. The initial 3 years of giant spends were partially directed by Mou, at least the last 2 of the 3. Dont forget thr two biggest buys of Romans first year were Veron and Crespo! BUST and super costly ones. It didnt take a genius to buy an Ashley Cole or a Drogba or a Makélélé. Lampard and Terry were already there.

But look at all the other HUGE busts they had back then. Shawn-Wright Phillips, Shevchenko, Torres later on!  Boswinga cost over 30m quid in todays money! Yuri Zhirkov the same.

They got lucky with Eden. But then more busts. Cuadrado, Malouda, Baba Rahman, Felipe Luis, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Bats, Morata, etc etc. And the idiotic sales! OMG. Robben, De Bruyne, Salah, etc etc. Overall they have had huge wastes of money, and as players get more expensive, their errors are compounded. So many donkeys over last 15 years, some massively costly. Dont even get me started on the botched transfers.

A billion quid clown car. No other remotely team has nearly as much deadwood as we do. It is madness that it has gotten to this point.

58 minutes ago, Vesper said:

They have always been POOR at talent judging and buys. The initial 3 years of giant spends were partially directed by Mou, at least the last 2 of the 3. Dont forget thr two biggest buys of Romans first year were Veron and Crespo! BUST and super costly ones. It didnt take a genius to buy an Ashley Cole or a Drogba or a Makélélé. Lampard and Terry were already there.

But look at all the other HUGE busts they had back then. Shawn-Wright Phillips, Shevchenko, Torres later on!  Boswinga cost over 30m quid in todays money! Yuri Zhirkov the same.

They got lucky with Eden. But then more busts. Cuadrado, Malouda, Baba Rahman, Felipe Luis, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Bats, Morata, etc etc. And the idiotic sales! OMG. Robben, De Bruyne, Salah, etc etc. Overall they have had huge wastes of money, and as players get more expensive, their errors are compounded. So many donkeys over last 15 years, some massively costly. Dont even get me started on the botched transfers.

A billion quid clown car. No other remotely team has nearly as much deadwood as we do. It is madness that it has gotten to this point.

Whilst I agree with everything you said bar Malouda because he at least had one immense season under Carlo, above all we have to accept that despite all of these retarded decisions made by the board... we have won a cabinet full of trophies. Weird how football works, isn't it!

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Man.United

Nope. They have no deadwood out on loan, 10 or 11 players I would dump. 2 of them are close to retirement (or go cash in in US or China). Young and Valencia. They are in worse shape at CB. 3 of the 4 are rubbish. But for sheer deadwood, we have even them beat hands down. It does pain me to say that. They do need a lot of players,  make no mistake about that.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Man.United

here is who I would sell off Manure

3    Ivory Coast    DF    Eric Bailly <<< probably the most puzzling player on team, he should be a top 10 CB, has everything needed, but he is so fragile (especially weird because he looks like moulded steel) and just has been such a disappointment
4    England    DF    Phil Jones
7    Chile    FW    Alexis Sánchez
8    Spain    MF    Juan Mata
12    England    DF    Chris Smalling
15    Brazil    MF    Andreas Pereira <<<< might give him another shot, but lets put him down as a sell
16    Argentina    DF    Marcos Rojo
18    England    DF    Ashley Young

21    Spain    MF    Ander Herrera <<< maybe, I will leave him on here as I am trying to be as harsh as possible
25    Ecuador    DF    Antonio Valencia (captain)
27    Belgium    MF    Marouane Fellaini
36    Italy    DF    Matteo Darmian

Yes, I know I left Lukaku off here, that doesn't mean I rate him, but he is hardly in Morata or Giroud territory yet

They badly need 3 new CB's, backup fullbacks on both sides (Dalot is going to be a great RB and Shaw is decent LB) and deffo AMFs and RW, and a backup LW as I am dumping Alexis FOR SURE if possible 

Lots of players but very easy club to read

Chelsea ‘listening to offers’ for talented attacker, January transfer looks on

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/749681/Chelsea-news-January-transfer-window-news-rumours-Premier-League-Callum-Hudson-Odoi

Chelsea fans had hoped Hudson-Odoi would get a chance in Maurizio Sarri’s first-team this season after he impressed in pre-season.

With the likes of Willian and Eden Hazard away on World Cup duty, the Blues youngster took his chance with both hands with a series of eye-catching displays.

However he’s not been involved regularly since, and a January exit is now on the cards.

Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth revealed the news on the latest episode of the Transfer Talk podcast.

In an update about the club’s January business, Sheth said: "The one other player who is on the fringes of the first team squad is Callum Hudson-Odoi.

“We're told they're listening to offers for the player - but only loan offers.”

Chelsea suffered a shock defeat at home to Leicester yesterday with Jamie Vardy firing in the winner for the Foxes.

Manager Maurizio Sarri said: "We played well for 55 minutes.

snip

TRANSFER NEWS: BORUSSIA DORTMUND READY TO RIVAL BAYERN MUNICH FOR CALLUM-HUDSON ODOI

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2018/12/25/transfer-news-borussia-dortmund-ready-to-rival-bayern-munich-for-callum-hudson-odoi/

Bayern Munich are leading the chase to sign Chelsea wonderkid Callum Hudson-Odoi, but could face fresh competition from arch-rivals Borussia Dortmund.

According to a report by Goal, Borussia Dortmund have entered the chase for Callum Hudson-Odoi, giving Bayern Munich some fresh competition to deal with as both the German giants battle it out to secure the services of highly rated English forward from Chelsea.

Callum Hudson-Odoi is widely regarded as one of the most talented youngsters in English football at the moment and is seemingly gaining a reputation for obvious reasons. However, having failed to make a single league appearance with Chelsea this season, his future at the club is uncertain with Bayern Munich, in particular, poised to make a move in the upcoming January transfer window.

However, the emergence of Borussia Dortmund in pursuit of the Chelsea prodigy could be a huge blow for Bayern Munich, who have struggled with a series of injuries to their star players this season. As a matter of fact, the Bavarians are also set to lose the services of Arjen Robben at the end of the season, after the Dutchman confirmed his departure earlier this month.

In addition, Kingsley Coman has missed a large chunk of this season due to a ligament tear. The Frenchman is also toying with the prospect of retiring, in case of another recurring injury, leaving Bayern shallow in the attacking department, thus accentuating the need of a new attacker in January. Hudson-Odoi, in that regard, could be an interesting choice for the Bavarians.

snip

It is really surprising that there has not been an emphasis from the board for Sarri to play CHO. I know Sarri is the manager but the lack of games and even appearances on the bench is a concern. We have a really talented youngster who I think will be a top, top player in a few years who is on our books and not signed a contract and what do we do to change his mind? Fuck all. He was trusted to start 2 dead rubber games when the group was already decided. Sarri didn't even trust him to start one game in the Carabao cup or the early stages of Europa League while the likes of Arsenal have been playing youngsters in both comps and done well. Spurs put an 18 year old player in Oliver Skipp in their PL game against Burnley couple weeks ago and they won the game. We would never do that. I understand him not maybe starting a league game but to not even make an appearance of the bench is crazy. If I was at the top and cared for the academy, I would be telling Sarri "look your in charge but you need to play CHO". If Sarri aim is to be here long term, he and the board both should be investing in the youth.

Just so frustrating. I genuinely thought after seeing him tear apart Bellerin and starting the community shield game against City, he would heavily involved this season. What a false sense of hope we all got. If CHO was smart, he would not sign the contract. The club have shown no faith in him and only play him in dead rubber games. I just hope Arsenal don't go in for him because that would take my anger in losing him to another level. They would actually play him too. They need another winger(s).

I find it bemusing that we keep on getting managers who forever insists that "young players need time to adapt to my tactics" or "young players aren't ready yet" or something along those lines and then at the same time, see other managers throw young players in from the go, like Emery at Arsenal. He certainly hasn't been afraid to play the youngsters in the Europa League and Carabao Cup, while we have gone almost full strength in those cup competitions.

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

I find it bemusing that we keep on getting managers who forever insists that "young players need time to adapt to my tactics" or "young players aren't ready yet" or something along those lines and then at the same time, see other managers throw young players in from the go, like Emery at Arsenal. He certainly hasn't been afraid to play the youngsters in the Europa League and Carabao Cup, while we have gone almost full strength in those cup competitions.

Or perhaps their youngsters were simply more ready than ours?

I'm not disputing that Chelsea managers are more cautious for obvious reasons, so it might be the case of an "and" rather than "or" here. CHO is 18 and it's usually really difficult for players at that age to get minutes at a top club, esp one who's constantly under pressure. Only truly amazing players can deliver at that young age and CHO has not, so far, showed that he can.

I can only assume he has not been impressing in practice, otherwise there would be a clamour from players and coaches alike for him to start/get minutes (yes it does happen).

13 minutes ago, Robchels said:

Or perhaps their youngsters were simply more ready than ours?

I'm not disputing that Chelsea managers are more cautious for obvious reasons, so it might be the case of an "and" rather than "or" here. CHO is 18 and it's usually really difficult for players at that age to get minutes at a top club, esp one who's constantly under pressure. Only truly amazing players can deliver at that young age and CHO has not, so far, showed that he can.

I can only assume he has not been impressing in practice, otherwise there would be a clamour from players and coaches alike for him to start/get minutes (yes it does happen).

It's cliche at this point but we have the most successful youth squad in the last 6-7 years. You can't say they aren't more ready than theirs or at least aren't equally ready. There are certainly few who could and should have been used a tad more in the minor cup games to begin with.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

It's cliche at this point but we have the most successful youth squad in the last 6-7 years. You can't say they aren't more ready than theirs or at least aren't equally ready. There are certainly few who could and should have been used a tad more in the minor cup games to begin with.

Depending how you see it. It’s successful in terms of money, but not in how many of them break into the starting xi.

The system has a gap in terms of age. Fact remains a 18 yo is not going to get many minutes in our starting XI and that’s the case everywhere. Unless he’s amazing and I have to believe he’s not been amazing in practice.

to be clear, I am claiming ignorance about whether Cho is good enough to be getting minutes, and at the same time accusing folks here of the same ignorance, even when they deny it. Assume we know shit.

6 hours ago, Robchels said:

Depending how you see it. It’s successful in terms of money, but not in how many of them break into the starting xi.

The system has a gap in terms of age. Fact remains a 18 yo is not going to get many minutes in our starting XI and that’s the case everywhere. Unless he’s amazing and I have to believe he’s not been amazing in practice.

to be clear, I am claiming ignorance about whether Cho is good enough to be getting minutes, and at the same time accusing folks here of the same ignorance, even when they deny it. Assume we know shit.

I don't buy this "he's not impressing in practice. hence why he's not playing" reason. Would like to believe these young players try their best to impress and play games in the first team. The bigger problem is that we keep hiring managers who do not have a good track record at developing/promoting young players. Mourinho, Conte and now Sarri, all without a history of trusting young players to do a job. They won't be perfect from the get-go but they will certainly get better with trust and experience. I mean they can't even give game time in the smaller cup games?!

"That's the case everywhere"? I'm sure if we had gotten someone like Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino or even Emery, we would have seen more young players feature in the first team. Guardiola and Emery may not use the youngsters in Premier League games but they have certainly not been afraid to play them in the lesser games in the Carabao Cup, for instance, while we have been reluctant to even play ONE of them and this in the Carabao Cup! Pochettino and Klopp, on the other hand, have done that and even used young players in the Premier League and Champions League. Trent Alexander-Arnold, for example, played 10 Champions League games last season, including the final, and he was only 19 then. Imagine our manager doing something like that here...ha!

You have to ask yourself Why wouldn't a manager - any manager, not play the best players he thought he had at his disposal.

I doubt that he wouldn't play him if he thought he would be better at a certain position than some other player.

We really have no clue wtf goes on in practice. CHO MIGHT just have some sort of character flaw and doesn't do well in practice.

You would imagine a manager would like nothing better than to find some amazing young guy and make him into some world class player. I know I'd love to see any of our youth do that.

SO FAR apart from pre season you can't say he has made the most of the chances he has had to shine and prove himself which is surprising in itself.

I know we have players who fail to do that week in week out and still get picked which of course is infuriating but the pressure is on that we just can't afford to select someone and stick to playing him regular to give them a proper chance to get game time sadly. If we was a mid table club that the only thing they had to worry about was not being demoted then a manager could afford to experiment. But with a board and owner who sacks managers that even do good they have to go with the players who stand out in practice. Thats how I look at it anyway.

Willian must be amazing in practice because he certainly keep having stinker after stinker in the games and gets selected. 

CHO deserves time on the field. In games that matter. He has proven he deserves it since he has scored or impressed every time he has gotten play time. 

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

Willian must be amazing in practice because he certainly keep having stinker after stinker in the games and gets selected. 

CHO deserves time on the field. In games that matter. He has proven he deserves it since he has scored or impressed every time he has gotten play time. 

signing willian set us back several years as a club

I like CHO as much as the next fan who wants youth to succeed, but from what i have seen from him in Europa against such low tier opposition and be nullified, I'm not sure he's going to be some PL game changer. It doesn't matter anyway as if we get a striker in Jan, can see Pedro being the first team starter over Willian on that RW.