Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

Good to see him getting more and more confident. It was a weak opposition yet again, but first he needs his confidence back, then we can think next.

Him and Reece, that is something that seems to be working very well. Long, long, long (I mean really long) may it continue.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Indeed. Where does this leave Sancho then? :ph34r:

They are all young they'll be inconsistent. And we can have three top players for two positions. City, Real, Barca are good examples. Plus I think Pulisic can play AM. 

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

They are all young they'll be inconsistent. And we can have three top players for two positions. City, Real, Barca are good examples. Plus I think Pulisic can play AM. 

Lampard not trying Pulisic in the No.10 role is a bit of a bummer (if that's the right word) so far, IMO.

3 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Did Puli ever play that role? Does he have any creativity ?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

According to transfermarkt 31 games as AM 11 goals, 12 assists. As RW almost same stats but with more than 50 games. 

His performance yesterday didn't really surprise me, he's been a lot sharper since Arsenal and even a few games before that there were positive signs he was really starting to retain sharpness again. It was quite fitting this was the fixture he fully exploded back to life given it was this same one that crippled him last year.

The most exciting thing yesterday for me was his chemistry with James, the more academy prospects get in and mature we will see relationships like that form all over the pitch.

On 12/01/2020 at 8:05 AM, Tomo said:

His performance yesterday didn't really surprise me, he's been a lot sharper since Arsenal and even a few games before that there were positive signs he was really starting to retain sharpness again. It was quite fitting this was the fixture he fully exploded back to life given it was this same one that crippled him last year.

The most exciting thing yesterday for me was his chemistry with James, the more academy prospects get in and mature we will see relationships like that form all over the pitch.

His first few involvements after coming on against Bournemouth were poor but after that he posed a real thereat to them. Pretty much the only time we did in that game.

32 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

His first few involvements after coming on against Bournemouth were poor but after that he posed a real thereat to them. Pretty much the only time we did in that game.

Yes I agree mate but what a lot of ppl forget is that he's coming back from a really serious injury, he needs time and care to get back to his real self, needs to get his confidence back and his match fitness.

18 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

Yes I agree mate but what a lot of ppl forget is that he's coming back from a really serious injury, he needs time and care to get back to his real self, needs to get his confidence back and his match fitness.

I think you've used the most important word - confidence.

In youth football, where there was no doubt in his mind that he was a star, Callum made different, and better, choices. I'm not talking about the fact that he is obviously more likely to succeed in whatever he tries against a lower level of opponent. That's obviously true, but I'm referring to his decisions. At junior level, he would almost always make the right decision between ambitious pass, simple pass, dribble or shot, He knew he was a superior player and he just played with a swagger. At first team level he has played like a man with something to prove and he has more often made bad decisions in my opinion. This has created a self-propelling downward spiral of bad outcomes, bad reactions, and greater sense of something to prove.

One of Callum's great assets is his passing. When he's at it he has great rage and weight, but this has been absent for much of his first team career. It has begun to show up in recent games but only in glimpses. If he can get to a place where he feels he belongs, where he isn't hearing groans from the crowd, then he'll be able to give of his best. He will no longer be switching between not trying anything and trying too much. He'll be able to make the right decisions as often as he did in development football. Only then will we be able to judge if Callum can transfer his youth level dominance to the big stage.

For the record, I have hope for Callum but, until he unlocks the best of himself, and we can judge the real CHO, the jury is out for me.