Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

Of course the club had no obligation to cough up but it would be stupid not to. We're being offered around £30m for an 18 year old with 12 months on his contract and would lose him next year for minimal compensation. 
Signed up for 5 years, as an asset he suddenly becomes worth £80-100m. I would expect in September/October when we first wanted to renew him we would have been looking at £40-50k possibly as a contract anyway. If we're paying an extra £2.5-3m per annum in wages to him but increased his market value by about £50m it makes complete financial sense. 
I completely agree with you that wages should be earned on performances and not hype or potential but its not as simple as that and quite frankly I'd rather we overpay him a little and take that chance that he'll realise his potential and be worth the money as opposed to not paying up and losing a player who could become a serious talent given the platform.

There were talks of Bayern willing to bid £45m in his current predicament. If he was solely after a bigger paycheck, I would have shipped him off.

This was during a time many of us, myself included, got caught up in the whole Mourinho work rate > technical ability hype. 
Oscar+Ramires > Mata + KDB
Willian > Salah 

That's the down side of winning. People fail to see the bigger picture.

He doesn't even have 50 appearances and tbf, his most impressive performances have been in the Europa League. Fair enough the markets fucked but again what if he has 2 good seasons and wants a new contract, where do we go then? 200K? 300K? 350K? 100k is maybe not as bad as say 180K but leaves us in a weak position if he goes and has a few good seasons and we want him to renew. He can basically just go well I'm on 100k or 180k, I've had a few good seasons, I want double.... I'm not going to agree with the comments about him being a mercenary which is ludicrous and laughable but with modern day football, it does help players secure bigger contracts but still think he has a lot to show now to justify getting that sort of money. I made a joke about United paying Rashford 250K or whatever with his new deal despite having not really kicked on as much as he should have but the chances are in 2 seasons down the line if the club or Callum wants to renew , we will be in exactly the same position. Especially if its 180K a week. Regardless of if hes kicked on or not.  
There is no doubt regarding his talent, it was clear to see when Conte played him against Bournemouth and Newcastle, he had something about him but again, hes excelled in the Europa League and looked middle of the road in the PL. I'd like to have seen him do a bit more in the PL before he got injured to warrant the club giving him a huge financial contract like that but the way the market is and also the fact as previously alluded he did have a bit of leverage as we have a transfer ban and 3 wingers etc, has helped him. Lets just hope he kicks on because there have been kids who have penned huge deals and just coasted from there onward, although I don't think he will coast it and he will continue to develop here. 

The key is to not let his contract run down so much before we make a decision.

We either renew it after 2/3 years or we sell. If he performs well then he will want mega money. But that'd also make him one of the most valuable 20 year olds on the market so we could sell or renew.
We are only in this situation because he previously wanted to go due to a lack of playing time and we have a transfer ban.

Whats the worst case. At his age he's more talented and has more appearances than mount rlc etc did. And he's 2 years younger than mount and 5 years younger than RLC which is mental.

The talent in this kid is more than any talent I've ever seen from an 18 year old in many years.

It doesn't matter how many games he's played he's 18 playing for us who aren't exactly renound (in the past... hopefully) for trying youth.

Only matters how good you are and can be

Just now, oldportblue said:

this is getting a bit ridiculous, what is taking so long? have a feeling his agents/representation are the ones not making this easy...

his CUNT of a brother

that twat is utter poison

looking for a big payout as he was SHIT as a player

On 7/25/2019 at 4:54 AM, MoroccanBlue said:

This was during a time many of us, myself included, got caught up in the whole Mourinho work rate > technical ability hype. 

Oscar+Ramires > Mata + KDB

Willian > Salah 

The problem you need balance in your team. Hazard is a monster but you need a winger across him that can defend, we also had Fabregas who is awful at defending but magical creator hence we have Oscar who was a workhorse with decent ability between the lines.