Olivier Giroud

milka

At the beginning of the window when it seemed clear the club are going after a target man for a striker, I thought to myself Giroud would be a pretty good option. Never thought Arsenal would sell him to Chelsea though, and certainly not for a mere £15M.

I'm happy with this, if it happens. Conte gets his target man, player won't be cup-tied and is already settled in London and the PL so should fit in quite nicely. Would probably get a contract till 2020 when he'd be 33-34 and for a target man the age is not a huge issue. The older he gets the happier he'll be with a rotation role. 

Don't see why people are moaning, we're talking about a player who's scored +10 league goals seven seasons in a row while not always being a regular starter either. Huge threat to bring off the bench, can't even remember how many times I've seen him score a late goal for Arsenal when they really needed it. He can also play in a two striker setup much better than Batshuayi so playing alongside Morata with Hazard behind them would be an option too, especially coming on as a sub when the team need a goal.

Ticks all the boxes you'd want in a January signing, really. Really hope the club pull this off, but with all the uncertainty we've seen with transfers lately I won't celebrate until I see an official confirmation. :lol:

1 minute ago, Mana said:

And look where Giroud has got them. He is a reject, end of. Arsenal have better strikers now than Giroud. Giroud isn't even good enough to be Arsenal's backup NOW if they get Aubameyang.

He is a reject because they, for whatever reason, got themselves TWO good enough FIRST team strikers, in Lacazzete and Aubameyang. It's very rare for a club to have two strikers of that quality.

3 minutes ago, Mana said:

...which is why this is so shocking. City, United, Liverpool and Arsenal have strengthened. We couldn't even beat Arsenal without Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang. They will smash us with ease now with these powerful players.

The only team besides us who hasn't strengthened is Spuds. But even then, Spuds has a better strikeforce than us without strengthening. 

What do we have? Hazard along with an aging Pedro, average Willian, bang average Morata and the headless chickens Batshuayi and Moses. You know what? Giroud may actually be our level. Because our attack is mediocre.

I get what you are saying, but Giroud is still very good back-up option. Other positions (wingbacks and central midfield) are the ones we need to strengthen, not overspend on striker backup. Hell, this summer we've spent 70 millions on a striker.

I know it's hard to be rational when everything seems to go downwards, I am experiencing the same from time to time these days. :D

5 minutes ago, Mana said:

...which is why this is so shocking. City, United, Liverpool and Arsenal have strengthened. We couldn't even beat Arsenal without Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang. They will smash us with ease now with these powerful players.

The only team besides us who hasn't strengthened is Spuds. But even then, Spuds has a better strikeforce than us without strengthening. 

What do we have? Hazard along with an aging Pedro, average Willian, bang average Morata and the headless chickens Batshuayi and Moses. You know what? Giroud may actually be our level. Because our attack is mediocre.

What are you on about?

Liverpool have strengthened? They lost Philippe Coutinho, in case you haven't noticed.

Arsenal lost Sanchez too, and he was by far their best player. Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan are good additions for them, but let's not kid ourselves and say Sanchez isn't a huge loss for them. If Chelsea lost Hazard mid-season I'm quite sure lots of money would be spent on replacing him too, but it's never gonna happen in a January window. 

United have improved with Sanchez, that's true. What Manchester City do in this window I really couldn't give less fucks about, because the league is already theirs and next summer is a whole new window for Chelsea to strengthen too to close the gap.

Just now, Mana said:

Yeah as I said. Giroud is our level now. We haven't really strengthened with Giroud. City, United, Arsenal etc. won't be scared of our striketeam bar Hazard. Mark Hazard out of the game, and we're fucked as usual.

You are pissed at the wrong transfer, mate. Be pissed at Morata's one, he is the one who should take us on next level, his price was 70 millions, and he is not doing that at all. There, at THAT transfer we haven't improved as we should have.

1 minute ago, El P. said:

You are pissed at the wrong transfer, mate. Be pissed at Morata's one, he is the one who should take us on next level, his price was 70 millions, and he is not doing that at all. There, at THAT transfer we haven't improved as we should have.

And Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Bakayoko.

I know he will be just a back up but how exactly he adds anything to the team?

I mean, we were looking for striker to challenge Morata and replace him when he is out of form/injured. 

Dzeko has that presence and scores regulary.

Giroud is only good enough to be back up. Thats the difference. If Morata is out, we are no better with either Bats or Giroud out there.

Even for 15m, I dont see the point of this transfer. Its just another Drinkwater addition where we buy just to get another body in squad but has absolutely no quality or potential to play first 11.

Just now, BlueLyon said:

I mean, we were looking for striker to challenge Morata and replace him when he is out of form/injured. 

Giroud is only good enough to be back up. Thats the difference. If Morata is out, we are no better with either Bats or Giroud out there.

Even for 15m, I dont see the point of this transfer. Its just another Drinkwater addition where we buy just to get another body in squad but has absolutely no quality or potential to play first 11.

He is very strong, even stronger than Džeko, I guess, that's the main difference. So he will never fall down. But scoring from 1-on-1 situations might still be a problem.

1 minute ago, BlueLyon said:

XD, you know that Dzeko scored 3 league goals in last 16 games?

5 minutes ago, Mana said:

They lost Coutinho, but they got VVD. While VVD has a slow start, he is a solid defender that will actually grow and strengthen that Liverpool defense that has been so weak for years. Liverpool still got Salah, Firmino and Mane...and these players WILL hurt Chelsea when we play them.

Arsenal lost Sanchez, but they are getting in return a much better unified strikeforce. Lazarette, Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Bellerin, Wilshere...nah man. They have strengthened. It's better to have a unified team then a 1 man team. Like us with Hazard.

Yeah, it's all doom and gloom. Chelsea will get relegated to the Championship next season, okey mate.

For starters you're really overrating Liverpool there. Mane's been shit this season, no better than Pedro or Willian really. Firmino is not a world class forward and the jury is still out on whether Salah can replicate this season's form for the years to come. And either way bar their forward line Liverpool are mediocre as fuck, and are always gonna keep dropping silly points if they don't upgrade the remaining of their back four and goalkeeper, VVD alone is not going to take them anywhere. Keita coming in next summer is a good addition for their midfield tho. 

Just now, Mana said:

You've never seen Giroud fall down? Yep, you haven't watched enough Arsenal games. He falls down A LOT. He even moans a lot too crying at the ref.

I've seen Drogba and Costa down a lot of times, too. But that doesn't mean they cannot hold their ground when it matters.

Okay, what in the fuck is this!?

First of, why the fuck would we be after Llorente again when he's been abysmal for Spuds? Secondly, why would we even entertain the idea of sending Batshuayi to Spuds!? Lastly, Giroud clearly isn't as close to joining us as was reported.

Clearly a lot more twists and turns before the deadline. My money is still on Bats staying and us signing no other forwards.

1 minute ago, Jype said:

Yeah, it's all doom and gloom. Chelsea will get relegated to the Championship next season, okey mate.

Championship? I thought we have been relegated to the conference while Liverpool, Arsenal and United have all sealed the quadruple.

1 minute ago, Mana said:

Feck off. Where did I imply we are getting relegated?

Also at least I'm seeing that Liverpool are trying to improve their team and strengthen.

It's sarcasm, ever heard of it?

And Liverpool have a funny way going about strengthening their team, selling their best player and all.

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Okay, what in the fuck is this!?

First of, why the fuck would we be after Llorente again when he's been abysmal for Spuds? Secondly, why would we even entertain the idea of sending Batshuayi to Spuds!? Lastly, Giroud clearly isn't as close to joining us as was reported.

Clearly a lot more twists and turns before the deadline. My money is still on Bats staying and us signing no other forwards.

Llorente is cup tied again for CL and FA cup, id fail to see the appeal for him. Plus he has not performed for Spurs.   Plus fuck letting Spurs have Batshuayi.   Giroud to Dortmund now has potential again