Emerson Palmieri

Unionjack

15 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

what a joke excuse from Sarri, just say you love Alonso at least that sounds more reasonable.

Dunno mate. Sarri seems to be a no BS artist.

But Emerson will be very handy when we play a team of dwarfes!

SARRI: EMERSON STAYING WITH CHELSEA

After his impressive return to the Chelsea first team in Thursday’s Carabao Cup semi-final victory over Tottenham, Maurizio Sarri insists Emerson Palmieri has a future at Stamford Bridge amid reported interest from Juventus.

“Emerson will stay with us, for sure,” the Chelsea boss said. “He’s very important. He’s improving.

“Sometimes I had a little problem to put him in because we are not a very physical team so when we play with three little players in the same match, set-pieces could be a problem, but not for another reason. I’m very happy with him, he’s improving and he’s a very good player.”

Emerson v Tottenham

78 Touches
2 Loss of possession
85% Pass accuracy
35/41 Passes
2 Big chances created
2 Key passes
2/9 Crosses
1/2 Long balls
4/7 Dribbles
2 Dribbled past
0/2 Tackles
2 Clearances
8/15 Duels
1 Foul

Emerson has to start every game

1 of the things that i like about him , he tracks back to his defensive position quickly not like Alonso who seems to thinking about his hair or something when he gets caught out of  position(which he does alot more than Palmieri) Back to the afew more inches problem lol , isn't heightism a real thing ! Same height as A.Cole he done alright for us! If we get a new dm lets hope he is big so that he can help against physical teams 

I do understand what he's saying. 

None of Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic or our two wingers are tall enough to defend corners. 

That leaves our 2 cbs and a striker (if we play one). IIRC Azpi stands on the post. 

So playing Alonso literally adds a third to our tall players. 

Having said that, Emerson doesn't seem too short to me. 

Well.  We'll see how true this is once Higuain is starting.  I have my doubts because it's not as if Emerson was playing in all the league matches that Giroud started in, if I'm not mistaken.  If Emerson becomes the starter and Alonso is his back-up, I'm okay with us at LB (assuming what we saw was Emerson's level and not a big outlier).  

1 hour ago, Supermonkey92 said:

None of Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic or our two wingers are tall enough to defend corners. 

That leaves our 2 cbs and a striker (if we play one). IIRC Azpi stands on the post. 

City and Liverpool have a similar ‘issue’, they only field 2-3 tall players.

1 hour ago, ja1 said:

City and Liverpool have a similar ‘issue’, they only field 2-3 tall players.

How tall are Walker, Mendy and KDB? 

The Liverpool fullbacks aren't short. Neither are their cms. 

Kante and Jorginho definitely are. 

3 hours ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Hope when we get a dm he is big enough to defend corners/set pieces , then we can rest/drop Jorgy and play Emerson to negate that problem/excuse , its not like Alonso is a defensive wizard , tho lately i do wish he would magically disappear !

1 hour ago, Supermonkey92 said:

How tall are Walker, Mendy and KDB? 

The Liverpool fullbacks aren't short. Neither are their cms. 

Kante and Jorginho definitely are. 

Mendy is tall at 6”1 but has been injured the majority of the season. His replacements this season have been Delph and Zinchenko. Walker is 5”10 and KDB is 5”11 - the latter is same height as Jorginho. If Liverpool’s full backs aren’t short than neither are our full backs given TAA and Robertson are the same height as Emerson and Azpi, respectively.  If their midfield which has for the most part consisted of three of Milner (5”9), Wijnaldum (5”8), Henderson (5”11) or Keita (5”8) isn’t short than again, neither is ours. Fabinho does play more recently, but he adds a third ‘tall person’ just as Giroud/Morata/Higuain do for us.

As I said..both teams have played majority of this season with just 2 or 3 outfield players that are tall/threats from set pieces. So swapping Alonso for Emerson is possible (it would leave us with three ‘tall’ players). I would agree with the sentiment if Alonso was literally are only tall outfield player or one of two tall outfield players. It is a valid point but clearly City and Liverpool can make it work, and Emerson has his own multiple advantages over Alonso.