Emerson Palmieri

Unionjack

48 minutes ago, Vesper said:

2 problems

1 As far as I can see, he is still not close to pre-injury level, and this is from someone who DESPERATELY wants him there

2 Sarri, the board, and a shit tonne of less than deep thinking fans see Alonso as a god-like colossus, striding the pitch, lolol. I even saw an article here whinging on about how ludicrous it was that Alonso is not starting every game for the Spanish national team as he is clearly better than Jordi Alba (arguably (and I detest Alba), the best La Liga player so far this year) and Jose Gaya, who has actually been even better than Alba at international level lately. Alonso is not remotely in either one's league. He is bad at defence and he is slow. He is a wingback, and we don't use wingbacks.

Even for wingback he is too slow.

I sort of hate-love Alonso. He scored some realy important goals and has quite good attitude. No denying that he has been important player past two seasons. But he is so fucking slow and I want a dynamic LB. Frustrating. 

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Even for wingback he is too slow.

I sort of hate-love Alonso. He scored some realy important goals and has quite good attitude. No denying that he has been important player past two seasons. But he is so fucking slow and I want a dynamic LB. Frustrating. 

I dont hate Alonso at all, I just think he is too slow and poor defensively to be our starting LB. Like you said, he has a great attitude and is very skilled as a shooter. Shame there isn't a position that can truly take advantages of his strengths whilst hiding his weaknesses, although wingback probably was as close as you can get.

Try him at CF??  LOLOL

On 17/11/2018 at 2:09 PM, BlueLyon said:

During his season before injury, he was on par with Sandro, at least in Italy. I remember people talked about him as big coup whoever signs him. After injury he didnt play much and left for quite small fee and low reputation. But give him a run of games and he will be better than Alonso at the very least. This reminds me of Salah who everyone wrote off and kept picking Willian who was more ''proven''. Salah left and rest is history.

On 17/11/2018 at 11:33 AM, ja1 said:

Statistics of his good season in Serie A had him on par with Sandro and better than anything Alonso did there. You can see shades of what he’s capable of, but a lack of confidence / motivation and probably the injury too seems to have dampened his ability. Mind he provides different things to Alonso and I don’t think he’s even much worse (I don’t rate Alonso highly). Emerson in minimal appearances since January has managed 1 goal and 3 assists, a decent return. 

Not sure it's necessarily the case.

The season before he did his ACL yes he was talked about as a good player but nothing more than that, he also played as a wing back for Roma pretty sure they played 3 at the back that year. There were links with Juventus but apparently only to be a back up to Alex Sandro and you can see why.

Maybe he needs more chances but he honestly hasnt shown me anything that he can truly be our first choice going forward. Both have defects in their games but Alonso is still better bet for me at least until we get someone else in. Emersons stats are decent for minimal games but again is he really the number 1 option we should have, you look at the opposition in some of those games too, is it entirely convincing?

Alonso for me is still better, sure hes slower, his recovery runs are an issue (due to his lack of nautral pace and the the teams style) but in a team such as open as ours that would be expected to a degree. I think CB is still bigger issue than LB.

I agree on the point where maybe Zappa and Emerson should get more minutes though, Azpi is a workhorse and plays every game more or less season on end but it will catch up to him or perhaps has done in moments this season, although still think he's a brilliant player. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

The fact he's been excluded from almost every (if not all) EPL match day squad is unbelievable. Sarri can't persist with Alonso & Azpi for the entire season.

Just watch him.

Sarri doesnt wanna rotate.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Clockwork said:

What was he on for like 5m? in that short time he showed more than Alonso did in 90m. Absolutely sick of Alonso.

remember Alonso was on the field, so Emerson had the freedom to go forward. Not saying Alonso is great but Sarri sees them in training.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

This 'Manager X sees Player Y in training. So he knows better' argument is really getting tiresome and silly...

Agreed. 

Just because these millionaire managers made it in a very competitive market, have the best assistants and coaches the money can buy, and spend all day watching these players in practice cannot possibly compare with the opinions of random folks in a forum. :rolleyes:

however, I do see how such a silly argument could become a deterrent for debates in a forum. ;) 

With the false nine system, a more traditional LB like Emerson is useless. Who is he going to cross the ball to? One of our attacking midgets? 

22 minutes ago, Robchels said:

With the false nine system, a more traditional LB like Emerson is useless. Who is he going to cross the ball to? One of our attacking midgets? 

As opposed to a lb with  horrible positioning, bad tackling, no pace and who can only pass the ball back  to Hazard but scores a wondergoal every blue moon?

15 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

As opposed to a lb with  horrible positioning, bad tackling, no pace and who can only pass the ball back  to Hazard but scores a wondergoal every blue moon?

I dont think Emerson is going to change our team at all. Perhaps weaken it defensively, although we are already weak on the left side.

Emerson is a very good potential. Pacey, energetic, has a good left foot, exciting player. Just needs a bit of experience and playing time to improve tactially and in positional awareness, Remember this lad had only one full season in Roma before that horrible injury.

He could develop into a good full-back if he was trusted more, even when he makes a mistake here and there.

Unfortunately Alonso is seen as A. Cole mark II 

1 hour ago, Bosnian Blue said:

Emerson is a very good potential. Pacey, energetic, has a good left foot, exciting player. Just needs a bit of experience and playing time to improve tactially and in positional awareness, Remember this lad had only one full season in Roma before that horrible injury.

He could develop into a good full-back if he was trusted more, even when he makes a mistake here and there.

Unfortunately Alonso is seen as A. Cole mark II 

Emerson is 24 years olx. Has beem playing professionally since 2011. Alonso may be shite but if Emerson is a prospect does that make Bakayoko a prospect? Not a chance. At 24 you should have more tactical understanding than what Emerson has unfortunately. That game against Derby and the Europa games he looked very naive at times. He may be worth a shot in the short run with Alonso's form but he wont be a key player here. 

A year at Roma 3 seasons ago doesnt change that.