Ross Barkley

milllz

Lets be honest we are no longer a big boy club. We want to act like it but we are not simple. When was the last time we signed a World Class player?? Fabregas and Costa in 2014 maybe?? We are a budget version of City and PSG now. Once the Hazard and Courtios class of 2011/12 go we are pretty much going back to meritocracy because we cant buy world class talent anymore 

12 minutes ago, It's too big said:

Yeah, RLC needs that time on loan. He's been sitting on the bench for the past couple seasons waiting his time. Also, Conte seems to want to play him up top, so obviously doesn't like something about him in that central midfield role, maybe workrate and defensive duties? I dunno how some people can complain about this signing. It's nice to have more English players in the squad once again too. 

My complaints are that he's coming off a huge injury, he doesn't have a best, ideal position, and I don't see where exactly he fits into our team. For £15m we don't have anything to lose, but we should be aiming to immedietly improve our team rather than taking punts on potential.

End of summer window after properly thinking it through, i was convinced he never took a medical with us.  His public statement/tweets then backed it up for me.

chain of events IMO was:

-We agree a fee and get Ross and agent to London (or elsewhere) with no intention of doing the deal then.  (why pay 35 and have him sidelined 4-5 months at which time a new window opens?)

-gives us a chance to examine his injury ourselves

-we then tell Barkley and agent, go back to Everton get fit for January, we will come sign you and throw you a few extra quid for waiting etc etc.  wink wink nudge nudge  Mutual handshake takes place, and both us and Ross have known since August he was joining us this month.

Had literally sod all to do with Spurs ringin him mid medical IMO**.  Sheer rubbish.

**cue the bastards now signing him**

5 minutes ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

End of summer window after properly thinking it through, i was convinced he never took a medical with us.  His public statement/tweets then backed it up for me.

chain of events IMO was:

-We agree a fee and get Ross and agent to London (or elsewhere) with no intention of doing the deal then.  (why pay 35 and have him sidelined 4-5 months at which time a new window opens?)

-gives us a chance to examine his injury ourselves

-we then tell Barkley and agent, go back to Everton get fit for January, we will come sign you and throw you a few extra quid for waiting etc etc.  wink wink nudge nudge  Mutual handshake takes place, and both us and Ross have known since August he was joining us this month.

Had literally sod all to do with Spurs ringin him mid medical IMO**.  Sheer rubbish.

**cue the bastards now signing him**

Might be some truth in it. Evertonians are slating him on twitter. They're saying that the Chelsea medical team indeed took his medical and got to know he wasn't going to be ready until january anyway. Management came in and sort of had an agreement with him that he'd recover at Everton for these 5 months and then come in January at a much lower price, giving him and his agent a pay cut in between. 

9 minutes ago, El P. said:

Where he fits in our team? CAM in 3-5-2, it's bright as a day. Better this than nothing, I guess...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Pretty much. We have lacked an attacking intent from the midfield. Can see him challenging Baka for his role. May be used to rest Cesc as well. 

1 minute ago, AK-3001 said:

Might be some truth in it. Evertonians are slating him on twitter. They're saying that the Chelsea medical team indeed took his medical and got to know he wasn't going to be ready until january anyway. Management came in and sort of had an agreement with him that he'd recover at Everton for these 5 months and then come in January at a much lower price, giving him and his agent a pay cut in between. 

Id say thats bang on almost.  I still dont think he actually had a medical... and if he did, he didnt quit halfway through lol no chance.  He'd have failed and thats why we told him wait until Jan. 

But then we'd have an idea how bad his injury was before even starting talks... so thats why i think a golden handshake occurred

In the current climate of transfer fees, if we get Barkley here for £15m it will be very clever business. 

He reminds me of Joe Cole, hugely talented but currently lacking direction. For me he can offer an option in the three of a 3-4-3 but he will be well suited to a 3-5-2 as an alternative to Fabregas.

At the moment in this formation Kante and Fabregas must start, with Drinkwater and Bakayoko rotating depending on the circumstances. I do think that Drinkwater is underrated on the ball but he's nowhere near on Fabregas' level, which is where Barkley can come in. He doesn't currently have the class that Fabregas has, but he is a creative option that is far more dynamic than Fabregas. Developing over time in a more orthodox midfield role will also potentially help to mould him eventually into a 2 man midfield option too.

And with regards to RLC, he still needs time to develop. You only have to look at the success of Courtois and Christensen who were given time to develop on loan at one club for more than a season. The trick is to find a club (if it's not Palace) where RLC can play regularly for a couple of seasons, get vital experience and grow as a player before returning.

36 minutes ago, Pizy said:

My complaints are that he's coming off a huge injury, he doesn't have a best, ideal position, and I don't see where exactly he fits into our team. For £15m we don't have anything to lose, but we should be aiming to immedietly improve our team rather than taking punts on potential.

He does improve the team though tbh. We don’t have a player of his profile and he is actually a good player that has room to grow.

People forget he’s still only 24. 

Always thought he was really overrated although he does have potential and for £15m if he can add a consistency and end product to his game then he will be a very decent signing in the long run. Hopefully he can stay fit, that is just as much an issue for me as his end product and inconsistency.

7 minutes ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

Many were against Drinkwater signing - and for me he has been very good. A valuable addition IMO.  

A £40m worth addition? So far, I think not. He isn’t going to improve by much either. Relatively getting older (28 this year). He’s not a bad player but there’s just no upside. 

5 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

A £40m worth addition? So far, I think not. He isn’t going to improve by much either. Relatively getting older (28 this year). He’s not a bad player but there’s just no upside. 

I agree. If we had brought him for around £20m it would have been good business.

This just highlights though that a player the level and calibre of Drinkwater is going for £30-35m nowadays, and therefore if we can get Barkley for around £15m it would be very astute.

9 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I agree. If we had brought him for around £20m it would have been good business.

This just highlights though that a player the level and calibre of Drinkwater is going for £30-35m nowadays, and therefore if we can get Barkley for around £15m it would be very astute.

The best thing about it is the price. He comes in with a lot less pressure and nowhere near as many expectations, and that will help him get into things a lot easier.