Ross Barkley

milllz

Sometimes injured players go cheap.
The legend Dusan Bajevic of Jugoslavia in 1975, his leg was in plaster when he came to AEK Athens.
AEK payed nothing but he became "the" great Dusco.
There were no free transfers across Europe back then, but this man's price should have been pretty high, 50 mil in today's money - beyond Greek budgets.

Barclay then feels he 's so great and he 's going to stun the world so he dropped the 35 mil offer and he wants to wait until January.
Let's see.

15 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Ruben is playing no better at Palace than he's played here. Reports that he is derive from 'honeymoon' assessments. Let's hope that he keeps his place in the side, and that those increased number of minutes may, in time, help him to produce his best stuff more consistently. He isn't at that point yet however.

I wouldn't agree with that.  At Palace, RLC is already showing signs of becoming a premier league midfielder.  Only time will tell if he's a Pogba (developed his career away from United) or a Ravel Morrison (looked a class above for 6-7 games at West Ham, then the hype got to his head and everything went south). 

At Chelsea, he was effectively the poster boy from the academy.

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I wouldn't agree with that.  At Palace, RLC is already showing signs of becoming a premier league midfielder.  Only time will tell if he's a Pogba (developed his career away from United) or a Ravel Morrison (looked a class above for 6-7 games at West Ham, then the hype got to his head and everything went south). 

Haven't watched his game with palace but did he run more for palace?

That is imo his biggest problem, even Mou said the same thing. When you are a young midfield,  you run more for your team to cover ground 

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Fair enough. Where we can definitely agree is in the hope that RLC goes from strength to strength.

On Ravel Morrison; that may be what happened or maybe the hype was born out of more honeymoon assessments in the first place.

1 hour ago, communicate said:

Haven't watched his game with palace but did he run more for palace?

That is imo his biggest problem, even Mou said the same thing. When you are a young midfield,  you run more for your team to cover ground 

He has been more dynamic in his role for Palace. The one thing that has stood out for me so far: his willingness to take on the game.  He's not always trying to play the safe sideways pass or backpass to a CB, he's looking to get the ball forward, whether it be driving through midfield or trying his luck with longer-range passing. 

As for what Mourinho said, RLC knows how to cover ground for the team (i've seen him do it in england age-group games), he just needs to learn discipline, which is something players learn with age & regular game-time. 

45 minutes ago, the wes said:

Ross Barkley rejected Chelsea as Antonio Conte turned phone off, says Joey Barton

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4386011/chelsea-transfer-news-ross-barkley-antonio-conte-joey-barton/

That would be an astonishing thing for Barton to say unless he had heard it from someone. Might be a case of Chinese whispers, but might be true. If true then either Antonio thought it was all agreed and that his part in the deal was over or, more intriguingly, maybe he just didn't want Barkley and engaged in a bit of sabotage?

If it had reached the stage where the coach flet he needed sabotage to get his own way then that does not auger well.

On 02/09/2017 at 3:17 PM, guddy6969 said:

Talk sport saying Ross did have a medical but his is lying because they found something out about him.. 

a player would be very badly advised to outright lie like that when so many people would know the truth. He'd just look ridiculous when it came out.

On 03/09/2017 at 6:02 PM, Iggy Doonican said:

In the Guardian there's a fans view of the transfer window this is what a Palace fan said.

Best buy: Sakho, given how well he did for us last season, though Loftus-Cheek has been a revelation

That's what I was being told about Charlie Musonda when he first arrived at Betis.  I was telling people that it just wasn't true, barring one game in which he really did play very well. In the end, Charlie continued to play so well that he got dropped and never regained his regular place in the side. During that spell where there was a disparity between my assessment and those of others, I kept saying that more sober judgements about Charly's efforts would surface once they honeymoon period was over. I think the same is true of Rubes though I must say that, overall, I've liked what he's done at Palace better than I did was what I was seeing from Charly over that first Spell in Spain.

I watched a display of Ruben's after which Kevin Day, a personality I really like, said that if Chelsea have better players than Ruben we will win the league by miles. Rubes was OK in the sense that he showed examples of his talent, but only as he sometimes did in his better displays here. I felt Day was honneymooned up.

As I've been saying for five years now, I'm a big believer in Ruben's abilities but he has to influence games more. That means he has to get on the ball more than he does and that requires him to work harder when his team is in possession. The idea that he is defensively lazy is wrong in my view. Rubes is at his laziest when he's just done something good. Instead of getting on his bike again, he mentally switches off for an instant. When I first commented on this years ago he would literally stand around and walk during spells in junior team games. The penny is gradually sinking but it has taken far longer than it might have done. Hopefully the pressure to justify the expectations of Palace fans will help him solve this issue once and for all.

Few things would give more pleasure than to see Ruben succeed in becoming the player his talent promises he might be, but it hasn't happened yet.

16 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

That's what I was being told about Charlie Musonda when he first arrived at Betis.  I was telling people that it just wasn't true, barring one game in which he really did play very well. In the end, Charlie continued to play so well that he got dropped and never regained his regular place in the side. During that spell where there was a disparity between my assessment and those of others, I kept saying that more sober judgements about Charly's efforts would surface once they honeymoon period was over. I think the same is true of Rubes though I must say that, overall, I've liked what he's done at Palace better than I did was what I was seeing from Charly over that first Spell in Spain.

I watched a display of Ruben's after which Kevin Day, a personality I really like, said that if Chelsea have better players than Ruben we will win the league by miles. Rubes was OK in the sense that he showed examples of his talent, but only as he sometimes did in his better displays here. I felt Day was honneymooned up.

As I've been saying for five years now, I'm a big believer in Ruben's abilities but he has to influence games more. That means he has to get on the ball more than he does and that requires him to work harder when his team is in possession. The idea that he is defensively lazy is wrong in my view. Rubes is at his laziest when he's just done something good. Instead of getting on his bike again, he mentally switches off for an instant. When I first commented on this years ago he would literally stand around and walk during spells in junior team games. The penny is gradually sinking but it has taken far longer than it might have done. Hopefully the pressure to justify the expectations of Palace fans will help him solve this issue once and for all.

Few things would give more pleasure than to see Ruben succeed in becoming the player his talent promises he might be, but it hasn't happened yet.

Did you know Kevin Day used to be in the National Front ?. I only posted what a Palace fan said I don't really watch much football apart from Chelsea so have no idea how's he playing. There's far too much football and analysis it's extremely tedious especially from the likes of Keown, Savage, Crooks etc. If I'm not at the game I watch Chelsea in my local and we get the governor to turn on the telly five minutes before kick off to spare us the adverts and Carragher and Neville snoozefest. And I do the same at home find out the team and turn on just before kick off.

15 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

I thought we dodged a bullet missing out on Stones.

After watching England v Slovakia I think we dodged a whole fucking fusillade missing out Barkley and Ox Chamberlain

One good thing to come out of last night is that it's finally dawned on the media that England are shit and are coached by a bloke with a lamentable managerial record. As for the Ox and Barkley they have committed career hari kari just another couple of overhyped English players who will never deliver on the big stage.

19 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

One good thing to come out of last night is that it's finally dawned on the media that England are shit and are coached by a bloke with a lamentable managerial record. As for the Ox and Barkley they have committed career hari kari just another couple of overhyped English players who will never deliver on the big stage.

Same old, same old wasn't it. Sail through the qualifying then watch us bomb out in Russia.

Ox Cham all huff and bluster with the finesse of a dyspraxic John Merrick

• 3 months later...