Mason Mount

the wes

En 6/6/2021 a las 6:43 AM, Vesper dijo:

'What a joke!' - Angry Chelsea fans cannot believe what has happened to Mason Mount

The Blues midfielder was on a shortlist for the award but was beaten by the Manchester City youngster

https://www.football.london/Chelsea-fc/news/Chelsea-fans-mason-mount-joke-20749626

The result of the Premier League Young Player of the Year vote was announced on Saturday afternoon, with Chelsea's Mason Mount in the running.

Unfortunately for the Blues' midfielder, he just fell short of topping his club season off with another personal accolade as Manchester City starlet Phil Foden claimed the award.

It had been a memorable season for the Chelsea academy graduate in his second full season as a first team player at Stamford Bridge.   

He scored nine goals and notched as many assists in 54 appearances in all competitions as Thomas Tuchel's troops claimed a place in the top four as well as winning the UEFA Champions League.

Dont see how its even in question. I mean these twitter accounts should pick their battles or go back to playing Fortnite or do something else. Some screenshots of the tweets from certain accounts “Mount is a CL winner” what do CL performances have nothing to do with the PL YPOTY? I mean cmon, the irony, I know social media is social media but some of these defy logic at times haha. 

Plus the argument for playing time, stats will always contribute also which is why the argument for Foden’s playing time is even more moronic. His goal and assist returns/involvement is exceptional, 14 (9 goals 5 assists) in 1614 minutes, meaning one goal or assist every 115 minutes. I am a huge fan of Mason but he doesn’t have that on his side unfortunately or the fact we also didn’t win the title contributed probably after being like what 10+ points off the top like City were after their horrendous start. 

These accounts are always there though for every team, its embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as the media putting their tweets in a online report. The big outrage re POTY is maybe KdB getting it for City no? I don’t think he’s been that good this season, compared to usual…. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Dont see how its even in question. I mean these twitter accounts should pick their battles or go back to playing Fortnite or do something else. Some screenshots of the tweets from certain accounts “Mount is a CL winner” what do CL performances have nothing to do with the PL YPOTY? I mean cmon, the irony, I know social media is social media but some of these defy logic at times haha. 

Plus the argument for playing time, stats will always contribute also which is why the argument for Foden’s playing time is even more moronic. His goal and assist returns/involvement is exceptional, 14 (9 goals 5 assists) in 1614 minutes, meaning one goal or assist every 115 minutes. I am a huge fan of Mason but he doesn’t have that on his side unfortunately or the fact we also didn’t win the title contributed probably after being like what 10+ points off the top like City were after their horrendous start. 

These accounts are always there though for every team, its embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as the media putting their tweets in a online report. The big outrage re POTY is maybe KdB getting it for City no? I don’t think he’s been that good this season, compared to usual…. 

Mount is a vastly more complete player. Foden does fuckall on defence. Foden could be replaced with so many wingers, Mount absolutely cannot.

9 minutes ago, Mana said:

Here's the thing: Foden was one of the top players who helped City win the league. Remember this is PL Young Player of the Year award, as mentioned already this does not count for other competitions such as CL.

Reality is Chelsea scrapped 4th on the final day (losing the game as well) and 10+ points behind City. 

Foden scored more goals and had 1 less assist than Mount.

Foden deserves the award over Mount.

disagree completely

are not you one of those constant Mount bashers anyway?

so many I cannot keep them all straight

5 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Fodens a cunt and looks like a scaffolder who drives a Corsa with blacked out windows

I think with that blonde pixie cut he looks like Katy Perry a few years back lol

On 23/05/2021 at 20:00, R2D2 said:

This guy winning the player of the year is seriously the most laughable thing I've seen in our history, he can't shoot to save his life, has minimal influence in games, compare this guy to Mendy, Rudiger and Kante, complete laughing stock to say at least he won it above those 3.

How long have you been following Chelsea, seriously? If that is the most laughable thing you've seen in our history, then it can't be more than a couple of seasons surely. 🤦‍♂️

35 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Supposed to be a tribute to Gazza circa Euro 96 -but yeah Katy Perry is a better similarity 

If he has a shite tournament now people will think he’s a right daft cunt as well for doing that to his hair. He’s just encouraged all the comparisons and basically acknowledged the expectations by doing that haha.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

disagree completely

are not you one of those constant Mount bashers anyway?

so many I cannot keep them all straight

I don’t think it’s far fetched to see why Mason didn’t win it. Mason had a v good season by all accounts but Foden definitely had a better one or a bigger impact in the PL. 

I think Mount will break out again though and come up another level next season where as depending on how Foden does at the Euros, he may come back and not have as good a season as expected. Even then, its hard for Foden to replicate what he did or exceed it I think regardless of how he does at the Euros also.

He had a goal or assist every 108 or 109 minutes in all competitions this season for club and country so it will be tougher for him to replicate it. He got 19 goal involvements alone since 1st of December at club level as well which is incredible for 6 months. Never mind for a 19/20 year old.

Mason didn’t goal or assist as often but also brings other things to the team, the expectation around him is lower/not as dramatic as they are for Foden. I think hes only going to get better with Tuchel.

Edited by OneMoSalah

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Edit: not really the time for trivial posts.

I saw your initial reply before you edited it.

All jokes aside, am I really wrong to say Mourinho would have used Mount the way he used Oscar? Part of the reason why Mount has been used by most managers is because of his tactical discipline and versatility, which wasn't different to what Oscar was. Although, as self-driven as Mount is, it's debatable whether this current Mourinho would have been able to improve and make him a better player compared to say someone like Tuchel. 

5 minutes ago, Jas said:

I saw your initial reply before you edited it.

All jokes aside, am I really wrong to say Mourinho would have used Mount the way he used Oscar? Part of the reason why Mount has been used by most managers is because of his tactical discipline and versatility, which wasn't different to what Oscar was. Although, as self-driven as Mount is, it's debatable whether this current Mourinho would have been able to improve and make him a better player compared to say someone like Tuchel. 

If he inherited him now he'd probably love him like he loved Lamps but he pretty much said that he wouldn't have brought him to the fold in 2019 if he was here (although maybe he'd have changed his mind after watching him train, if McTominay could convince him I'm sure Mount could have).

My slight surprise was that Mou held his hands up and admitted he got it totally wrong with Mount, I half expected him to be stubborn and stick to his guns (like he did with Shaw on the same podcast) or give him a backhanded compliment through gritted teeth but he couldn't praise him enough.

7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If he inherited him now he'd probably love him like he loved Lamps but he pretty much said that he wouldn't have brought him to the fold in 2019 if he was here (although maybe he'd have changed his mind after watching him train, if McTominay could convince him I'm sure Mount could have).

To be fair, that was the first game of the season and it was at Old Trafford. He might have a point, especially when you consider Lampard left Mount on the bench in the next game against Liverpool in the Super Cup.

Having said that, Mourinho was saying that as someone looking in from the outside and we also know that he isn't exactly a pioneer for youth either. 

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Mana said:

I look at Mount with England and it only just strengthens my opinion on him that he is just a workhorse.

He gets back and defend, cool. He goes up front, cool. But as an attacking midfielder, what he does is simply not good enough. Where are those clean cut passes that cuts through the defence? Can he take FKs? Can he shoot and make killer shots from range? Can he score more consistently? Can he drive through defences?

Even Saka has been more of a threat than Mount has throughout this tournament.

Chelsea fans will defend Mount 'til they die because he's a Chelsea boy and that's fine...but I just know deep down that he's not going to become WC or a top class player. Chelsea and England can live without Mount.

He has gone two full seasons playing almost every game for club and country - shows that Chelsea and England actually don't want to live without Mount even though both teams have many quality alternatives for his position.

Can't believe this is still a debate. All the top sides in the world now are packed with workhorses and among workhorses, Mount is one of the better ones in terms of attacking quality. 

2 hours ago, Mana said:

I look at Mount with England and it only just strengthens my opinion on him that he is just a workhorse.

He gets back and defend, cool. He goes up front, cool. But as an attacking midfielder, what he does is simply not good enough. Where are those clean cut passes that cuts through the defence? Can he take FKs? Can he shoot and make killer shots from range? Can he score more consistently? Can he drive through defences?

Well a month ago he made one that won us the second biggest prize in football, to kick on from scoring the clincer in the semi, for one.

Assists are subjective, Mount has been robbed of many assists this past season and in this tournament by poor finishing, the other end of the scale would be Matic in 16/17 who stat padded assists by happening to the one passing to Hazard just before a wonder goal.

Unless they do it a ridicolous rate like KDB or Fabregas then the quality of assists need looking deeper into.

29 minutes ago, Mana said:

Not ONE England fan that isn't Chelsea-biased would say Mount is one of their killer players for England. Many times I've heard "Why Mount is starting? Why is Grealish not playing and why is Mount?"

And where was Grealish at Mount's age? Playing in the Championship not long off being part of the worst PL team in years and breaking a record for the longest personal run without a win.

33 minutes ago, Mana said:

Yes he provides one or two killer passes there and there, but it's as inconsistent as Willian. In fact, I'll say he's close to being a Willian. The only difference is that Willian misplaces a lot of passes.

Willian had little competition at the start of his career here and as soon as much as one capable player (Pedro) came to compete with him he was relegated to third choice winger within a year.

Mount gets picked by every manager he's played for in the face of intense competition and not only that other managers are saying they would also be picking him if he was their player, Mourinho and Sarri the most recent pair.

Actually I would say a fair comparison to Mount would be Pedro, not the 'star' player himself but sure knows how to coexist with them.

Mount is only 22, still has time to improve. I don’t think it is harsh to see him similar to Willian who regularly gave you 7/10 performances at his best seasons. He was in his prime, Mount is much younger got time to get better.