Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea


Jase
 Share
Followers 1

Man of the Match  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

    • Courtois
      0
    • Zappacosta
      0
    • Azpilicueta
      8
    • Christensen
      1
    • Cahill
      0
    • Alonso
      0
    • Kante
      0
    • Bakayoko
      1
    • Drinkwater
      0
    • Hazard
      14
    • Morata
      0
    • Fabregas (sub)
      0
    • Pedro (sub)
      0
    • Willian (sub)
      1


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

So you're going to use that CL team as a barometer? It was a fluke! And a fluke isn't sustainable success. United fluked a CL win the final vs Bayern in 1999 and didn't win again until they got a team good enough to win it. When they did they reached something like 2 finals. The goal is to build a team capable of sustainable success in the Champions league not a hit and hope outfit.

RIght now this side is a  round of 16/quarter-final team at best not a semi-final/finals team. And certainly not a potential CL winner. 

I have yet to see anything indicating that we are conclusively incapable of building such a team under the current management. Things may change. My outlook my change, particularly if we have a disappointing transfer window this next summer. At the moment though, I stand by my assessment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The negativity on here is toxic.

Comparing this to Mourinho away performances is a huge exaggeration. Sure, Fabregas could have been introduced earlier. Could even have started the game but it was by no means a team set out to defend 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Strike said:

The negativity on here is toxic.

Comparing this to Mourinho away performances is a huge exaggeration. Sure, Fabregas could have been introduced earlier. Could even have started the game but it was by no means a team set out to defend 

Exactly. We actually looked dangerous in the game. Had numerous chances to score, more than I can remember when watching us under Mourinho against the big teams. Not Conte's fault that Hazard couldn't convert the chances he created himself or Drinkwater couldn't put away the one he got or Morata played like Torres or Zappacosta/Alonso etc couldn't pick out a teammate with crosses. It's one thing to take a positive approach, it's another to just go out and dominate them and play like headless chickens (aka Arsenal).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some may say that we are playing with 5 defenders, but remember that every of that 5 defenders have some quality going forward, unlike Mourinho's team. Azpi has great cross, Christy is great passer and decent on the ball, Alonso and Zappacosta have decent dribble or cross here and there... Moses is ok dribbler and Rudy is decent on the ball too. No need to mention Luiz.

Mourinho had Ivanović, Cahill, Terry and Azpi out of the position. Those 4 never did anything else than defending.

Our team may look very negative on paper sometimes, but don't ever compare this to Mourinho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, eemanyooel said:

Zappacosta Alonso Drinkwater Bakayoko shouldnt be anywhere near d starting XI...

Which is why im not having a meltdown. I keep saying outside of Azpi, Kante, Hazard and Morata (soon probably Christensen) we really arent that good. The players you mention are all average. Add flickedy flick Cahill to the mix. Thats half the outfield team! Conte has done a brilliant job. I thought our passing was actually quite good at least unil the final third. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, El P. said:

Some may say that we are playing with 5 defenders, but remember that every of that 5 defenders have some quality going forward, unlike Mourinho's team. Azpi has great cross, Christy is great passer and decent on the ball, Alonso and Zappacosta have decent dribble or cross here and there... Moses is ok dribbler and Rudy is decent on the ball too. No need to mention Luiz.

Mourinho had Ivanović, Cahill, Terry and Azpi out of the position. Those 4 never did anything else than defending.

Our team may look very negative on paper sometimes, but don't ever compare this to Mourinho.

Some times I wonder if people actually even watch our games. It's as if they just look at the result and depending on what it is, take up lazy narratives. :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites

We would have been ripped apart without Kante and Dave. Players who need to be more clinical imo  Zappacosta, Bakayoko and, Morata,  maybe Drinkwater can be excused with little match play.

On the positive unbeaten there since 2013 and some nice fixtures coming up when Conte won't be hamstringed by selection because of a ridiculous fly back from Azerbaijan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably did enough to get more than a point, but given the Spurs result I'm content with a draw. 

Tbh, and I've probably been saying this for 3 seasons now, the realistic target for us is top 3/4 and challenging for the title is not really possible unless we exceed a lot of expectations and go on some amazing run. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chelseawise said:

I agree with the rest but I thought Drinkwater was decent

Was surprised how mobile he looked, I thought he is a slow player like Cesc. 

I wonder how Fabregas - Kante - Drinkwater midfield would work out. If that doesn't work then let's put Luiz in that Bakayoko-role since Bakayoko himself just doesn't have enough qualities to play at this level.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup Conte could always throw Eden, Pedro, Willian, Morata and Cesc in starting eleven to play fancy football. But we would then have no bench and defense. And the moaners would start moaning about lack of tactical awarness by Conte.

The negative posts in thread are pathetic. 

First half we were equal, second not so until after we conceded. We created quite a few chances but we couldnt finish. And thats a big big problem, but not on Conte. Its not his fault Morata or Drinkwater lack confidence 1v1. Its not his fault we have shit bench either. 

Cesc comments tho. Every fucking time people complain why he plays against pressing sides because we get skinned as result. Today when he was benched for Drinkwater for that same reason, people cry why he didnt play and call for Conte head. 

Unbelievable.

And for the record, all fans calling Conte out for his defending, and how Pep is playing super footy, if Pep was here he would buy 10 attackers by now. But with current team we have, he would done fuck all. So stop comparing those two. City is splashing the cash left and right and all we do is selling good players with no backup clauses and then we are forced to buy their replacements, which results in millions spend, very little squad improvement and no depth on bench. 

Conte makes allright work, but the fact he cant rely on 40m Bakayoko, 60m Morata, 25m Zappacosta etc while having no quality backup options on bench is simply not his problem. For bigger picture look up to the board, there are Matic, Mata and Lukaku in united, Sturridge, Salah in Pool, De Bruyne in city, Cech in Arsenal...they are doing great work in selling player for profit instead of creating good depth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does everyone keep saying top 3 or 4 for us? We are clearly better than United. Maybe not in terms of personnel but we certainly play better than them. We will finish 2nd or 3rd.

We have a better team than Liverpool but different styles make these games. If we are going to be fair Liverpool were outplaying City too before the red card. I thought we created far more real chances than they did. We clearly need some dynamic players in the squad though. Multi purpose players who can play several roles. At the very least some pacey players with decent strength. Like Sane on City. He isn't some great player but he is put in a position to succeed constantly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, !Hazard! said:

Was surprised how mobile he looked, I thought he is a slow player like Cesc. 

I wonder how Fabregas - Kante - Drinkwater midfield would work out. If that doesn't work then let's put Luiz in that Bakayoko-role since Bakayoko himself just doesn't have enough qualities to play at this level.

Definitely worth a try.

Glad people are staying open minded about Drinky. As I said previously, I think those who are not yet convinced about Danny D will be pleasantly surprised once he's over the injury and into his stride.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

(Despite having the squad to do so)

Simply don't agree with you. In fact I'd go so far as to say this is nonsense.

We see the same performances by the same players but we clearly assess them differently. We'll get nowhere arguing the point therefore.

I have never subscribed to the idea that football professionals automatically know the game better than non-professionals do. When several multi-trophy winning coaches/managers ALL disagree with you however, it might be sensible to examine your ideas and consider whether you want to revise them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Yup Conte could always throw Eden, Pedro, Willian, Morata and Cesc in starting eleven to play fancy football. But we would then have no bench and defense. And the moaners would start moaning about lack of tactical awarness by Conte.

The negative posts in thread are pathetic. 

First half we were equal, second not so until after we conceded. We created quite a few chances but we couldnt finish. And thats a big big problem, but not on Conte. Its not his fault Morata or Drinkwater lack confidence 1v1. Its not his fault we have shit bench either. 

Cesc comments tho. Every fucking time people complain why he plays against pressing sides because we get skinned as result. Today when he was benched for Drinkwater for that same reason, people cry why he didnt play and call for Conte head. 

Unbelievable.

And for the record, all fans calling Conte out for his defending, and how Pep is playing super footy, if Pep was here he would buy 10 attackers by now. But with current team we have, he would done fuck all. So stop comparing those two. City is splashing the cash left and right and all we do is selling good players with no backup clauses and then we are forced to buy their replacements, which results in millions spend, very little squad improvement and no depth on bench. 

Conte makes allright work, but the fact he cant rely on 40m Bakayoko, 60m Morata, 25m Zappacosta etc while having no quality backup options on bench is simply not his problem. For bigger picture look up to the board, there are Matic, Mata and Lukaku in united, Sturridge, Salah in Pool, De Bruyne in city, Cech in Arsenal...they are doing great work in selling player for profit instead of creating good depth. 

Exactly. Conte was spot on with his tactics. People forget We got back to England on Thursday morning after a long trip to Azerbaijan (Quarabag) and had only Friday to train before Saturday. 

We had to conserve energy for a while, while showing threat on the counter ( we should have scored in the first half, hazard, Morata, drinkwater all had clear chances while Courtois didn't have a save to make) In the 2nd half we then had the energy levels to go on (instead of collapsing physically in the 2nd half like we did against mancity). This was actually our best performance at Anfield for years and people everywhere have given us credit for going at Liverpool for a large portion of the game and our own fans here are negative as ever instead of being realistic. To say we parked the bus like the Mourinho days is just :doh:

What more do they want Conte to do when zappacosta, Alonso Bakayoko and drinkwater are the type of reinforcements the board offers for improvement nowadays. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a good performance, we should of won it. Liverpool are quite a few levels behind us in terms of quality and considering the long distanced travelled to Baku this was a very good outing for us.

Next game start Drinkwater in a midfield 3 with Kante and Cesc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...