Ethan Ampadu

Blusan Alamb

2 minutes ago, manpe said:

There are also tall CBs who are shit, too many to name. It's about having the ability to compensate for your weaknesses. Is Ampadu capable of that? I don't know, too small sample size. And if he's going to predominantly play MF, then I doubt he will ever be more than an average CB.

I think he needs to pick a position and stick with it

29 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I think he needs to pick a position and stick with it

Marcel Desailly never had a problem playing two positions I think it's handy having a player that can play two positions especially when your team has  injuries 

6 minutes ago, the wes said:

Marcel Desailly never had a problem playing two positions I think it's handy having a player that can play two positions especially when your team has  injuries 

he just seems to be betwixt and between to me

would rather see him go full stop CB and only play MF if there is an injury or a suspension or someone needs a rest

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Fabio Cannavaro 178cm Fifa player of the year in 2006 is the best example of short defenders. 

beast!

and

Franz Beckenbauer, arguably the greatest centre back ever    1.81m

Franco Baresi  1.76m

Bobby Moore   1.78m

Daniel Passarella   1.73m

Ricardo Carvalho 1.83m

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

beast!

and

Franz Beckenbauer, arguably the greatest centre back ever    1.81m

Franco Baresi  1.76m

Bobby Moore   1.78m

Daniel Passarella   1.73m

Ricardo Carvalho 1.83m

Id say its pointless to compare CBs from 20, 30 years ago with today football.

You can prep way more with all the videos and data to take advantage of the height/speed/shape of oppoments defences.

9 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Id say its pointless to compare CBs from 20, 30 years ago with today football.

You can prep way more with all the videos and data to take advantage of the height/speed/shape of oppoments defences.

every one of those listed, regardless of the age in which they played, would be monsters today, plus, they themselves would have the advantage of today's technology

I have seen people say Eusébio, Jairzinho, Alfredo di Stefano, Gunnar Nordahl, Ferenc Puskás, and Garrincha, etc would not be absolute top 10 players in the world today if they played now. I say that is profound tosh.

14 hours ago, Vesper said:

every one of those listed, regardless of the age in which they played, would be monsters today, plus, they themselves would have the advantage of today's technology

I have seen people say Eusébio, Jairzinho, Alfredo di Stefano, Gunnar Nordahl, Ferenc Puskás, and Garrincha, etc would not be absolute top 10 players in the world today if they played now. I say that is profound tosh.

They may be or they may be not. Thats why it makes no sense to compare them to today football.

Also, many footballers back then lived very unhealthy life and that would annihilate them today when you have to be ready for 60-70games per season.

4 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Also, many footballers back then lived very unhealthy life and that would annihilate them today when you have to be ready for 60-70games per season.

that literally makes no sense

if they grew up today they would obviously be more healthy

18 hours ago, Vesper said:

that literally makes no sense

if they grew up today they would obviously be more healthy

Lets just ignore that their entirely different lifestyle would have zero effect on everything else. 

Because its that simple:D

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

Been excluded for all three match days (2 league, 1 Cup) so far.

Not a great sign

Too good team for him. And tbh I was never impressed with him. Short to be CB. Maybe he becomes DM on Romeu level but that's it. Gilmour and Gallagher are already better. 

Too good team for him. And tbh I was never impressed with him. Short to be CB. Maybe he becomes DM on Romeu level but that's it. Gilmour and Gallagher are already better. 
Another case of the board not picking the right option & the player paying the price as a result.

Can see it getting cut short in January already.

It is early times but yes it was such a random loan. Logically, why would they play him. They have great depth in DM and CB. It feels like, sometimes, both English teams and fans think they can send any young player, no matter how inexperienced, to a Bundesliga club that isn’t Munich/Dortmund and they’ll be automatically due for a great loan (Oxford, Smith Rowe). A bit of arrogance and naivety about it.

Mount, Abraham built up from low levels to get to first team now, I am not sure why they gave this aggressive loan to Ampadu when he just needs to play. A Championship loan would be perfect, give him a 40 game + season to work with.