Tiemoue Bakayoko

the wes

1 minute ago, Tautvix said:

I don't know what "that" means...

But if you followed his social media today you will understand WHAT I MEAN.

Not necessarily at @Tautvix but I find it hilarious people are making such a big deal over media posts this summer. Are other clubs' supporters this pathetic?

Stop looking for hints in social media posts.

12 minutes ago, Rekin said:

I'm curious about this. A lot of people are praising Fabinho, myself included, and yet it is Bakayoko that is on his way.  It seems based on reports from usually reliable sources such as RMC and Di Marzio that Fabinho is/was available, so why did the club not go for him?
I see what Bakayoko can add, and I believe he will be a great signing but just why did Chelsea prefer him over Fabinho if there is such a clear consensus that he is better? 

Many factors comes in to play.

Bakayoko has two years left on his contract, he was not renewing. Monaco were more willing to sell, and he is a cheaper option. On the other hand Fabinho is under long term contract, only considering to sell at the right price. No rush for Monaco to sell regarding him.

Also they are different players; Bakayoko is more of a sitting midfielder but versatile enough that can drive forward. Meanwhile Fabinho is much more of a true B2B midfielder. Also there is also characteristics differences here too. 

I think many of those factors were at play and why Chelsea chose Baka.

1 hour ago, RoyalBlues said:

Surely there is a reason Conte decided to choose Bakayoko over any other options.

Yes. But for all we know, those reasons could be availability and such as well.

Anyway, I haven't watched all that much Monaco, but I know they are fairly different midfielders anyway. 

Edit: just realized Clockwork had already made this point, and better.

They're different players, but question who offers the long term value.

I have no bias here; I wouldn't be excited if we signed Fabinho; he's just a box-to-box player, but...

Fabinho can fit into any formation. He has shown himself equally strong in defence, as midfield, in every role you can think of, from right back, to centre midfield, to centre back, to being a damn winger when the time calls. It's hard to define which is his number 1, best trait, because he's good at so much - nobody since Lampard could strike the ball from outside the box with such accuracy, so consistently. Nobody since Makelele, in our team, has shown the same level of awareness when facing threat from the other team, though I understand Kante could be argued as his equal.

His actual tackling ability, once the 2 players are only 1cm from eachother, is simply other-wordly from both Matic & Bakayoko. Where both of the latter will use their body strength first, throwing themselves into a challenge, and releasing the ball later, Fabinho only enters a tackle once we knows with complete certainty, that he'll have at least 1 option once he's got the ball. Bakayoko and Matic, both of them, tackle the player first - figure out if it was worth it, 2nd. Fabinho has the foresight, and that's why Mourinho wanted him, where Emenalo wanted Bakayoko, probably under the guise that since he'd be snagged for up to 10m cheaper, his 'potential' is somehow increased.

Not so, unfortunately. 

Fabinho has every trait Lampard had. Every trait any great midfielder had, and that is his best area to be deployed. Vision. Ultra-quick instinct. Aggression. Ability to soak up new tactics. Level-headed off the field. 

Bakayoko, to compare, I struggle to find anything he's great at. He's good at winning the ball, some of the time, by throwing himself into the tackle before the other player expects it (he tackles early), but that's barely a tick to his name, it's just his style, which fails as often as it succeeds. Neither player offers more pace or momentum than the other. I don't need to say that only 1 player out of these 2 is captain material...

So you have a winner, who can fit in any formation, in any role, and play it better than any peer, vs. a limited player, who can only work in a 2-man defensive-midfield set-up so that his blunders can be covered.
One reads the game like a master - the other thinks he can master the game by having more energy than his peers. It's literally, genuinely, so close, to a comparison of Lampard vs. post-injury Essien, or Ramires.

If you want to do what's best for Conte, no question, you sign Bakayoko. If you want what's best for the club, especially in 2-3 years once our manager has changed, 100 times out of 100, you sign Fabinho, who once signed by any club, will be desired and loved for at least a decade. Bakayoko can't dream of such love, for good reason - he's an average footballer.

7 minutes ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

I'm hearing he failed the medical and deal is off.

No reliable sources for that one. Every reliable source is saying the deal is done and he will be announced soon

5 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Its Goal.com, but hey if it helps ease the nerves here you go. (Alse references his tweets about returning to Monaco)

http://beta.goal.com/en-au/news/bakayoko-set-to-sign-five-year-chelsea-contract-saturday/1hjsy7djz2re41ixm3tb2x7dan

pls let it be so, the wait is killing me, he can be our new Essien

5 hours ago, calculatingInfinity said:

Yes. But for all we know, those reasons could be availability and such as well.

Anyway, I haven't watched all that much Monaco, but I know they are fairly different midfielders anyway. 

Edit: just realized Clockwork had already made this point, and better.

Conte know it very well, what kind of midfielder needed to improve the squad and suited his philosophy/style of play. 

We can argue for eternity, this or that player better than Bakayoko, but what's the point if the player will not fit in our system or is not available anyway.