Tiemoue Bakayoko

the wes

45 minutes ago, Mufassir08 said:

They have different skillsets but they play the same roles, do they not? They both are essentially box to box mids, one is better in the defensive phase of the game and can make surging runs from deep once the game opens up and there is space to run into while Tolisso may not possess the same explosive running ability with the ball but has far more quality on the ball not to mention is much more of goal threat. Tolisso's shooting is also an asset.

On paper any skilled player would look better next to Kante, but in the end it all comes down to how Conte wants his team to play. IMO for our style and PL, we need Bakayoko more. 

The football might be a bit "uglier" but more efficient

Tolisso is brilliant talent, but for me he is not good enough defender and not consistent creator. He is somewhere between and it works in Lyon, but in any big team, he will only work in 3 man midfield next to a DM, playmaker and him as b2b. It would work well in juve along Khedira and Marchisio/Pjanic, but here, I dont see him being someone to dictate our attacks on regular basis, nor someone who can sit back and defend. He needs more freedom to get most of him and only three man mid allows that. 

In the end we dont know how either of these players would do here until they do, so to me as long we get a real quality midfielder, I will be happy whoever it is that Conte values enough to be our starting material.

2 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

On paper any skilled player would look better next to Kante, but in the end it all comes down to how Conte wants his team to play. IMO for our style and PL, we need Bakayoko more. 

The football might be a bit "uglier" but more efficient

Tolisso is brilliant talent, but for me he is not good enough defender and not consistent creator. He is somewhere between and it works in Lyon, but in any big team, he will only work in 3 man midfield next to a DM, playmaker and him as b2b. It would work well in juve along Khedira and Marchisio/Pjanic, but here, I dont see him being someone to dictate our attacks on regular basis, nor someone who can sit back and defend. He needs more freedom to get most of him and only three man mid allows that. 

In the end we dont know how either of these players would do here until they do, so to me as long we get a real quality midfielder, I will be happy whoever it is that Conte values enough to be our starting material.

I think you are underrating Tolisso's defensive contribution a bit but I do agree that Baka seems better of the two when it comes to the defensive side of the game but make no mistake, Tolisso is no Pirlo defensively. Also I agree that Tolisso is no playmaker but his distribution and range of passing is crispier, cleaner and more efficient than Baka. Maybe I need to watch more of Baka but whenever I have watched him, I haven't thought that 'Yeah, this guy is what we need in midfield'. 

2 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Werent both called up for first time last week? Bakayoko only after Pogba was injured?

Yep sorry, missed the fact that Tolisso was in the squad initially! He is a great player too but personally I think Bakayoko has more potential. Tolisso has been (apparently) nailed on to go to Juve for a few seasons now and looks like it could happen in the summer.

41 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

On paper any skilled player would look better next to Kante

Yore dead right mate. Thats why its really hard to take the stats in sites like WhoScored too serious cause looking at N'Golo on there you'd just think Meh!

You just never know what any player will be like untill theyre in the team. A team thats gelled together all working for each other is something any manager would kill for. We got some lads that we think need upgrading but we never know if the new guys going to fit in ok.

So far Conte seems to understand man management and putting players into position we raised our eyebrows at.

Just gotta pray to the footballing atoms he keeps doing that.

On 23/03/2017 at 11:16 AM, DYC. said:

They're different players so it all depends on what Conte is looking for. Tolisso is the superior player technically and offensively, and he's box-to-box. Baka is the superior player physically and defensively, and he's a midfield shield.

Personally, I don't like the idea of two technically average players in the centre of the pitch who don't offer much invention and imagination with the ball at their feet. We've seen how laberous Chelsea can be and there's no guaranteeing the team will keep finding ways to win next season. Grinding is never a long term plan for succes (don't mention the likes Juve and old Chelsea as those teams possessed great quality. Atletico grind and they've been 'unlucky' these past few years).

But at least Baka offers great athleticism and can surprise with the occasional surge from deep. And with the right purchase(s) at wingback and/or up front, you could make up for that lack of skill in the centre. And what do I know, really. Conte could make it work of course if he does indeed want him.

Interesting.

I don't think it's the actual pass which is the most important component of being a good passer.

Most people, you & me included I think, could complete a very high percentage of the passes available to us if we were first set up with the right angle, on our chosen foot, with the time and space required, and with the runner in position. Even if you and I couldn't, most professionals could. Nemanja, for example, certainly can. Yes, there are differences between different professionals but, given the perfect set up I've described, the better passer isn't going to complete a significantly higher percentage of the passes than the less good distributor.

There is something which makes a much bigger impact on the outcome of any given possession than mere precision of delivery. That thing is the special player's ability to do the things which create the good conditions for a pass in the first place. These include; the collect and turn which leaves the immediate marker in his wake and opens up the pitch in front of him, the precise touch which puts the ball right were it needs to be so he has that split second to get his pass away, the poise and body control to retain possession long enough for the target of his pass to make a run. I won't go on with the list; we all know the sort of things which are on it. I think Bakayoko has many of the attributes required to generate good passing opportunities for himself.

Threading the intricate pass around the edge of the opponents' box is a part of the function of a player in Bakayoko's role, but effectively turning defence into attack is a more important part. Bakayoko may not score lots of goals or register many assists, but his team does and he is a big part of the reason for that.

42 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Interesting.

I don't think it's the actual pass which is the most important component of being a good passer.

Most people, you & me included I think, could complete a very high percentage of the passes available to us if we were first set up with the right angle, on our chosen foot, with the time and space required, and with the runner in position. Even if you and I couldn't, most professionals could. Nemanja, for example, certainly can. Yes, there are differences between different professionals but, given the perfect set up I've described, the better passer isn't going to complete a significantly higher percentage of the passes than the less good distributor.

What makes a much bigger impact on the outcome of any given possession than mere precision of delivery, is the special player's ability to do the things which create the good conditions for a pass in the first place; the collect and turn which leaves the immediate marker in his wake and opens up the pitch in front of him, the precise touch which puts the ball right were it needs to be so he has that split second to get his pass away, the poise and body control to retain possession long enough for the target of his pass to make a run. I won't go on with the list; we all know the sort of things which are on it. I think Bakayoko has many of the attributes required to generate good passing opportunities for himself.

Threading the intricate pass around the edge of the opponents' box is a part of the function of a player in Bakayoko's role, but effectively turning defence into attack is a more important part. Bakayoko may not score lots of goals or register many assists, but his team does and he is a big part of the reason for that.

I agree with what you've said but I can't say Bakayoko struck me as the player with the awareness, composure and poise you described in that same paragraph.

Well the guardian has it on the football transfer rumour as well. 

But we need to wait to have more confirmation to see if this is true:

Apparently they have agreed a deal to take Tiemoué Bakayoko from the club for £35m, and what’s more have concluded negotiations with the player’s representatives over a five-year contract, and all that remains is for contracts to be signed and press conferences to be called.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/27/football-transfer-rumour-mill-alvaro-morata-tiemoue-bakayoko-chelsea

This will just be another Willian/Oscar type of signing. An average player who won't really get us anywhere and will be a regular in the team for a long time.

Not really comparable as Willian was already a finished product when he joined us and in comparison to Oscar he already proved in european competitions that he is good enough to compete before joining us.

Over the moon with this transfer. Fantastic business. Nice and early. I hope we can look most if not all of our targeta down before next pre-season. Will be extremely exciting to see Contes team for next season.

13 hours ago, nono said:

This will just be another Willian/Oscar type of signing. An average player who won't really get us anywhere and will be a regular in the team for a long time.

Willing to bet, that this guy's watched 4 games of him, vs City and Spurs. Three of which he bossed.

39 minutes ago, LondonsFinest said:

Willing to bet, that this guy's watched 4 games of him, vs City and Spurs. Three of which he bossed.

And he bullied Dembele in both them spurs games which end up spurs substitute dembele twice in both games