Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Yeboii said:

Nearly all his games for us bar that Roma game have been great or terrific

Hes had some off games too mate. Spuds was bad. He wasn't worth bringing on against Manure, Huddersfield he was shaky. So while he does give solid performances at other times I wonder WHY??

Antonio Rudiger is an Arsenal fan… but else might you not know about Chelsea’s new signing?

He has been following Arsenal since the days of Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/antonio-rudiger-is-an-arsenal-fan-but-else-might-you-not-know-about-chelsea-s-new-signing-a3583641.html

Why Chelsea's Antonio Rudiger might be secretly delighted he has just scored for Arsenal

“I have been following Arsenal since the days of Henry and Bergkamp,” he once said.

“I have always dreamed of the Premier League. I watch videos of Arsenal all the time on YouTube and I often wear the current Alexis Sanchez shirt.

“My heart beats for Arsenal.”

So you can bet that when he was growing up, Rudiger imagined himself scoring for the Gunners on countless occasions - and tonight he got his wish.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/fixtures-results/antonio-rudiger-arsenal-vs-chelsea-14199649

Ill-fated last night. Doesn't take anything away from him as a player. I remember when we played Bayern back in 2005, Lucio scored an own goal and then caused a deflection to go in from a tame Joe Cole shot. Sometimes things just go against a player. 

Tbf I seen in unread content, an article titled something about fans turning on Rudiger because after an "embarrassing performance" or something. But was he really that bad? No. He was severely unlucky. If people are turning on him because of two unlucky incidents they need to have a long look at themselves. 

Also in the same article, believe its one on this site it says "the German international has looked shaky at times this term, despite keeping seven clean sheets in a row prior to tonight’s game. There was very little he could have done about the Gunners’ first goal, with the ball cannoning off his head and finding the back of the net, nor the assist he provided for the second. However, he was continually being caught out of position and ultimately it provided with Arsenal several opportunities to have a go at goal. Chelsea fans didn’t take well to the performance, either."

Shaky? Really? I think hes been quite good, actually, hes gone under the radar. Like BlueLion has said above, one ill fated performance doesn't take anything away from him as a player and what hes shown he is capable of. No disrespect to the article writer but I think shaky this term and continually being caught out of position in last nights game (he wasn't really, didn't do much wrong bar those incidents prior to goal, which again he couldnt really do anything about them) is extremely unfair for a guy who has been solid since coming in and bar two dodgy deflections, which 9 times out of 10 probably wouldn't go directly in the path of a opposition player hasn't really made any huge mistakes. 

Also Twitter is very annoying for me now too because people just tweet utter shite without thinking, guys who criticise good players and crucify them for mistakes, as well as continually critiquing managers and not the likes of Emenalo, Maria, Roman etc. Sure Roman has been a huge influence and vital to Chelsea becoming a European super club as we'd be considered now, or particularly when talking about finances etc. but hes also gave too much power to clueless advisers (Emenalo/Maria) in his time and that decisions will continuously hurt us until they are replaced by "football people" as you could put it or give the manager more control.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hardly makes the headlines but Rudiger has been quietly impressive for us. Was solid last night and I've been saying this a lot, there's such a big difference between playing Rudiger and Cahill in the LCB position. The former is strong, solid and far quicker, mobile than the latter. Not afraid to be adventurous as well when the opportunity presents itself. Same can't be said about Cahill in those situations.

He’s a good player that’s still quite young for a defender, he’ll only get better. His weaknesses (concentration, positioning) will only get better. We’ve got a top player in the making here if everything goes well for him. 

2 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

He’s a good player that’s still quite young for a defender, he’ll only get better. His weaknesses (concentration, positioning) will only get better. We’ve got a top player in the making here if everything goes well for him. 

I think he has world class potential still. Jumping the gun? I don't know, but what I've seen from him has been very promising. Maybe the standards we are used to is low? Maybe, but if I were a scout I'd tell the higher-ups to keep hold of this guy. He has this burning desire to succeed, I can see that whenever he plays, gives it his all all the time. As we are losing Luiz and Cahill is going down the hill, I think he will play a massive role for us in the years to come. I'll make a prediction that he'll soon have 2-3 seasons where he will be considered among the best.

I get what you all are saying, but have in mind that's always easier to play in back-3 than back-2. He is good, but he would never be this good with his positioning and concentration in back-2. It's a bit relative. Luiz last year looked like world beater, and he is nowhere near that.

21 minutes ago, manpe said:

I think he has world class potential still. Jumping the gun? I don't know, but what I've seen from him has been very promising. Maybe the standards we are used to is low? Maybe, but if I were a scout I'd tell the higher-ups to keep hold of this guy. He has this burning desire to succeed, I can see that whenever he plays, gives it his all all the time. As we are losing Luiz and Cahill is going down the hill, I think he will play a massive role for us in the years to come. I'll make a prediction that he'll soon have 2-3 seasons where he will be considered among the best.

If he continues to play at this level at the very least you might be right in the long run for sure. I know a lot of people were mad at the Aké sale but he’s certainly an upgrade. 

He still seems to be quite under appreciated it seems though. 

1 hour ago, manpe said:

His passing range too. He hits them like it's nothing. His inclusion in the starting 11 despite having played last 2 full games is an indication that Cahill has been dropped for good.

He'll return against either Utd or City