Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

3 minutes ago, Chelsea4 said:

There is a reason why Roma wanted to sell Manolas and not Rudiger.

Not the right arguement... There is a reason though why the great Manolas was only pursued by the mighty Zenit and Rudiger was on Chelsea radar for some years now. 

Let's not forget that Rudiger was Conte's first choice CB target last season. We were reported being extremely close to signing him before he injured himself.

We wanted him over Koulibaly and Luiz. Conte really likes him it seems. 

From what i've seen of him, granted not a lot, he looks like a solid CB with a very good abillity on the ball. 

Wouldn't suprise me if he displaces Cahill as a starter if given a bit of time to settle.

He's already superior on the ball so as long as he can be solid defensively he'd be an upgrade on Cahill.

edit: Also on the Manolas -Rudiger comparison i'd say they're very different defenders. Manolas is more of a no-nonsense defender while Rudiger is more of a ball playing CB.

"Manolas and Zenit are negotiating over the final details but Chelsea are ready to make a last-minute bid in order to overtake the Russians," he said.

"Today, Chelsea are expected to submit to Roma a last call, a last bid of €40million [£35m].

"While Zenit's offer is about €30m [£26m] - in order to take the player."

We went for Manolas before Rudiger:lol: That won't be the right argument either.

10 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

We went for Manolas before Rudiger:lol: That won't be the right argument either.

There's no credible reports that Chelsea made any bid or contacted Roma directly for Manolas. And you quoting here The S*n reporter who is known bullshiter. Just some examples.

19 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

The argument is valid, as we are after Rudiger first, since last year. Manolas rumour looks like dead though or false in the first place.

49 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

You do if he comes in and isn't any better than Gary Cahill, and if that's the case he will be benched and eventually shipped off. I'm ready to proved wrong but IMO this is a really money saving signing and it's not an improvement on what we have.

I don't think your assessment of the player is right, but you sound like you know more about him than I do so it would be stupid of me to  to challenge your opinion.

Thing is, even if you are right, it's a reasonable guess that the club don't think so. Surely if they buy him it will be with the expectation that he will be able to contribute, and not just as a money saving option. If that was the case, if the aim is just to save money, why buy him at all? If the club shared your view that we have equally good players already, then they'd just lob the cash back into the bank wouldn't they? What better way to save money than that?

36 minutes ago, Chelsea4 said:

It's because Manolas didn't show for the medical and Roma has to meet the FFP so they had to act quick just like Inter.

If they had to sell because of FFP why didn't we just buy Radja? 

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I don't think your assessment of the player is right, but you sound like you know more about him than I do so it would be stupid of me to  to challenge your opinion.

Thing is, even if you are right, it's a reasonable guess that the club don't think so. Surely if they buy him it will be with the expectation that he will be able to contribute and not just as a money saving option. If that was the case, if the aim is just to save money, why buy him at all? If the club shared your view that we have equally good players already, then they'd just lob the cash back into the bank wouldn't they? What better way to save money than that?

I'm always loving it when this club prove me wrong, it always in ends in a trophy, I'm all for that.

Just now, Fernando said:

If they had to sell because of FFP why didn't just buy Radja? 

I don't know that i guess because Roma already bought Karsdorp (CB) so they just decided to sell one and also Roma wants something like €80M for Nainggolan which is just way too much.

42 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Radja has expressed so many times he does not want to leave roma its not easy to take a good player that doesn't want to leave. bid as much as we want the club might agree but all the player will do is not agree to any personal terms, it's probably less frustrating rock climbing with one hand then it is to sign players that don't want to leave.

56 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Because he's been brainwashed by De Rossi and Totti to be a hardcore Roma loyalist.

12 hours ago, Special Juan said:

If we had gone for Manolas we would have signed him by now. Reliable reports say we made an initial check on his situation, nothing about us offering him anything, and likely what happened was that we exploited the situation quickly by going after Rüdiger as the first choice, because Roma had to sell before the end of month and they had to do it quickly because of Manolas screwing up their plans. So we acted swiftly and got our 1st choice target who otherwise would have been unsellable from Roma's POV had Manolas completed his transfer. It's no coincidence that it all happened in a matter of days after the Manolas-Zenit story broke.

11 minutes ago, manpe said:

If we had gone for Manolas we would have signed him by now. Reliable reports say we made an initial check on his situation, nothing about us offering him anything, and likely what happened was that we exploited the situation quickly by going after Rüdiger as the first choice, because Roma had to sell before the end of month and they had to do it quickly because of Manolas screwing up their plans. So we acted swiftly and got our 1st choice target who otherwise would have been unsellable from Roma's POV had Manolas completed his transfer. It's no coincidence that it all happened in a matter of days after the Manolas-Zenit story broke.

Agree. Most likely that is what happened. Couldn't have put it better myself. Well done.

3 minutes ago, RoyalBlues said:

Agree. Most likely that is what happened. Couldn't have put it better myself. Well done.

Thanks. Also, there must be a reason why we were prepared to pay more for Rüdiger than take Manolas for less. It's clear as day to me we were never really interested in Manolas and simply exploited the situation involving him. Roma preferred to offload Manolas ahead of Rüdiger - that should also tell something.