Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

Athletic and strong but lacking tactically and in terms of finesse. That's the impression he's always left on me.

Not my type of defender but it is what it is. Could prove to be useful. Or even better, you never know.

1 minute ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Don't rate this guy at all, actually think he's dumb as fuck, but I'm not worried either because I'm sure he's taking Ake's place in the squad. Decent to have on the bench? Maybe. First team quality? Not in a million years. 

You really think we'd pay 35m or whatever it is for a bench warmer who will make the odd sub appearence and cup lineup? No chance, imo.

21 minutes ago, Bernard N Y Burgesson said:

the thing is he is not loved by Roma fans as well. Even Germans don't talk highly of him. He is like Pique of spain. I read that Roma are actually offering him to chelsea because they need to sell to meet fair play rules

On the contrary, I just went to an AS Roma Forum and asked how they rate Rudiger.

They are of the opinion that he is yet to peak and there's not much between Manolas and Rudiger, Rudiger has a better personality and Manolas might edge Rudiger at this moment, but Rudiger has the ability to be better than Manolas in the future

Just now, AK-3001 said:

On the contrary, I just went to an AS Roma Forum and asked how they rate Rudiger.

They are of the opinion that he is yet to peak and there's not much between Manolas and Rudiger, Rudiger has a better personality and Manolas might edge Rudiger at this moment, but Rudiger has the ability to be better than Manolas in the future

So we are basically selling Ake for Ake. since both are yet to peak but one will cost 35m

1 minute ago, Bernard N Y Burgesson said:

So we are basically selling Ake for Ake. since both are yet to peak but one will cost 35m

Not sure how he is Ake all of a sudden. I wouldn't get into an argument here, but how Conte and Chelsea did business last year, I am much more confident about our signings this year.

Just now, xPetrCechx said:

Rudiger's knee injury proved very costly for #cfc. they agreed deal for around £20m a year ago. Now paying up to £33.3m

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

considering how the market changed thats probably about the same, tbh

For the me issue with Ake, and many of the youngsters, however much we may like and root for them, is about two aspects: 1) the obvious one, potential and 2) the stage in their development

1) (potential) is notoriously difficult to assess. And 2) is a real bummer for top clubs.

Everything I saw from Ake thus far points to potential, yes, but also someone who is not going to be near our starting XI any time soon. So, even if Rudiger and Ake have the same potential, Rudiger might be a lot further ahead in his development (is older too!), and can immediately be used by a club like Chelsea whereas Ake needs minutes, which the club cannot provide or promise.

Chalobah is on the same boat for me: it doesn't matter if he's going to be good enough 5 years from now if Chelsea, Conte, cannot employ him even as cover, right now. And honestly, Chalobah seems to be way behind Ake in development, and I'm not as sure about his potential.

just my take (not so easy to blame the club for these very tough decisions).

He's like Zouma with ambitious passing, at times running forward like Luiz used to do. Defensively, I'm not sure he's won a single clean tackle in Italy.

He should be a midfielder. For a team like Porto.

Roma's attack was on fire last season.
Roma's midfield was on fire last season.
Roma's manager was on fire last season.
Roma's goalkeeper was on fire last season.
They failed to win any honours for one reason. Their inability to defend well.

They notoriously have the most inconsistent back lines out of the Serie A's top 6. Every season. Marquinhos & Benatia were incredible potential for them a while ago, but they were the only great defenders they've had in a decade. Everyone trying to fill their boots since hasn't been good enough. Hence why they're sold every season. What sane team actively tries to sell 2 of their central defenders? A team who knows they need upgrades.

Maybe Ake wanted to go.  It is not entirely the clubs fault perhaps.  Bonucci was never happening, lets be honest,  VVD i think was 50-50, but if saints refuse to sell what can we do?

We have wanted Rudiger in the past, i am not that surprised we bought him

Just now, ChelseaFanUK said:

Maybe Ake wanted to go.  It is not entirely the clubs fault perhaps.  Bonucci was never happening, lets be honest,  VVD i think was 50-50, but if saints refuse to sell what can we do?

We have wanted Rudiger in the past, i am not that surprised we bought him

you are the only post i have read that has convinced me enough to give Rudi a chance