Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

4 hours ago, El P. said:

Alonso didn't "work" in Conte-ball. He only worked for people with really low expectations.

See, when you kick out one creative/attacking player, in favour of playing that 3-4-3 formation, you need to compensate THAT kind of creativity/ability somewhere else.

If you are really going to play 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, and put your faith into WB-s to do the attacking, you need A LOT FUCKIN MORE than Alonso ever delivered. We have had 3 CB-s and 2 destructive midfielders. Creativity was nowhere to be found. Alonso liked that because he is not good in defence. Also, we had Hazard and Costa to help him at the attack, both really good players.

He is average, good-ish player, and always has been like that. Some of us saw that before, but it was moo point telling people that because OMG LOOK AT THAT FK HE SCORED. Now, when we have higher expectations of our play, especially attacking play, we can see how average he is.

Conte chased Sandro for 2 straight summers for a reason...

I have to agree. He would still not be good enough at wingback and suffers from the same strengths and weaknesses we are all aware of. His performances wouldn’t change at wingback. What would change, and the reason he is more suited to wingback, is because, as I’ve said before, he does have a strength of positioning himself in the box for key moments in a match. Even if the rest of his game is horrible in a match he can do that and end up with a goal or assist. He can do this less as a normal full back. Under Conte he literally had a free role. Under Sarri if Azpi overlaps Alonso stays back outside the box. 

As much as I don’t rate the guy, as a wingback or full back, his record at wingback for combined g+a can’t be ignored. I personally think his goals output (his assist output tbh at wingback is poor, 2-3 assist per season under Conte) is boosted via free kicks and the fact the guy literally had no competition for two years. I do wonder if other players with a semblance of attacking threat would get similar g+a output if they played as a wingback  for two years, every single game. For instance Matt Doherty is matching Alonso-as-a-wingback numbers this season. Alas I’m kind of just wittering on...

tldr: imo Alonso is not good enough at wingback or full back. But being at wingback does suit what he’s good at more. 

12 hours ago, El P. said:

Alonso didn't "work" in Conte-ball. He only worked for people with really low expectations.

See, when you kick out one creative/attacking player, in favour of playing that 3-4-3 formation, you need to compensate THAT kind of creativity/ability somewhere else.

If you are really going to play 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, and put your faith into WB-s to do the attacking, you need A LOT FUCKIN MORE than Alonso ever delivered. We have had 3 CB-s and 2 destructive midfielders. Creativity was nowhere to be found. Alonso liked that because he is not good in defence. Also, we had Hazard and Costa to help him at the attack, both really good players.

He is average, good-ish player, and always has been like that. Some of us saw that before, but it was moo point telling people that because OMG LOOK AT THAT FK HE SCORED. Now, when we have higher expectations of our play, especially attacking play, we can see how average he is.

Conte chased Sandro for 2 straight summers for a reason...

Does that mean he’s not shit?!?! Yes !!! :D

Unfortunately for Chelsea, hazard spins don’t count in the final score, only goals do. So, when you have a player, a mere left back, who won us several tough matches in a winning season, forgive me if I cannot take “he’s shit” comments very seriously.

Once again, different opinions and preferences are all part of the game, and the fun. As long as folks remember they are just that, opinions.

13 hours ago, Robguima said:

Does that mean he’s not shit?!?! Yes !!! :D

Unfortunately for Chelsea, hazard spins don’t count in the final score, only goals do. So, when you have a player, a mere left back, who won us several tough matches in a winning season, forgive me if I cannot take “he’s shit” comments very seriously.

Once again, different opinions and preferences are all part of the game, and the fun. As long as folks remember they are just that, opinions.

I never said he was shit.

Yup, hundreds of opinions, but only one truth. :) A lot of people have opinion - for example here in Croatia some thought that Rakitić is Modrić level player when they both contended for some award, and some people worldwide think that C.Ronaldo is better than Messi. Dejan Lovren think of himself as a top class defender, levelled with Sergio Ramos. They have every right to speak anything they want, expressing their opinions, and I of course have right to tell them, with arguments, that they are wrong. I am doing them a huge favour. It indeed IS fun. :D 

6 hours ago, El P. said:

I never said he was shit.

Yup, hundreds of opinions, but only one truth. :) A lot of people have opinion - for example here in Croatia some thought that Rakitić is Modrić level player when they both contended for some award, and some people worldwide think that C.Ronaldo is better than Messi. Dejan Lovren think of himself as a top class defender, levelled with Sergio Ramos. They have every right to speak anything they want, expressing their opinions, and I of course have right to tell them, with arguments, that they are wrong. I am doing them a huge favour. It indeed IS fun. :D 

heh did not say you did. ;) 

many truths... at the very least each manager will have his own. And Lovren is definitely a top class defender and I wish him many many years at liverpool. :D

It's all good. Just find it a bit silly to be slanting Alonso on every opportunity esp a guy who has made clear contributions in our league win. He has played better before though, so I'm not sure it's not something that can be fixed via adjustment, at least the defensive part: there shouldn't be a gap when Alonso goes to attack - that's basics. For ex, I see David Luiz sitting too deep at times, which would be unheard of some time ago.

Now, speaking of improvement over him is great, but because I don't think he's a "donkey" it is easier said than done.

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Again, the board just showed how clueless they are when they extended Alonso contract from 3 to 5 years. 

If we had a DoF they would not have extended a player with 3 years on his contract. This is why Abramovich needs to sell up, his decision making in the last 5-7 years has hindered us. Can you imagine if he had hired a proper DoF around 2013. We would be miles ahead of were we are right now. We would be in the Barca, Madrid Utd stage by now had we been run properly. 

4 hours ago, ja1 said:

18/19 PL LBs Crosses

Andrew Robertson : 8/53 (13%)
Benjamin Mendy : 11/47 (18%)
Ben Davies : 7/32 (17%)
Marcos Alonso : 4/58 (6%) 
Sead Kolasinac : 5/18 (27%)
Luke Shaw : 8/34 (23%)

BTW Kolasinac man of the match yesterday v Burnley. Remember Arsenal got him on a free.

Kolasinac has improved recently but please stop jumping on to the flavor of the month. Majority of Arsenal fans will tell you he has been a liability in defence. Hw got dropped for a right footed midfielder at LB last season in Maitland-Niles. 2-3 games doesn't make him top class. Just look at the Arsenal forum for opinions on him few months ago. LOL. But I defo do agree with giving Emerson more chances at LB.

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

Remeber too well bc i was banging on about how we should  sign him. He is injury prone tho

Yes but who isnt at Arsenal? 

Of course he has improved and of course he was a liability because he played under Wenger. Lets wait and see how he does now they have a better manager. 

I never said he was top class but compared to the snail Alonso hes a space shuttle.

2 hours ago, Stats said:

Kolasinac has improved recently but please stop jumping on to the flavor of the month. Majority of Arsenal fans will tell you he has been a liability in defence. Hw got dropped for a right footed midfielder at LB last season in Maitland-Niles. 2-3 games doesn't make him top class. Just look at the Arsenal forum for opinions on him few months ago. LOL. But I defo do agree with giving Emerson more chances at LB.

Kolasinac is shit, pass