Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

42 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

So basically Alonso is starting because of his set pieces. This is a problem :doh: 

Maurizio Sarri says Chelsea are suffering from 'blackouts'

Deffo think Sarri is the 1 suffering when it comes to Alonso and afew others 

5 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

So basically Alonso is starting because of his set pieces. This is a problem :doh: 

So, Sarri is willing to sacrifice more cohesive attacking play for set pieces which we may not get a lot in games? Our attacking set pieces are crap and we have looked suspect at defending set pieces at times, even with Alonso in the team! Are we really that desperate for his free kicks?! Did we really get the Sarri that we all saw at Napoli? Because this Sarri sounds a lot like Mourinho!

Thought he did well yesterday against City. Didn't let much through from his side, didn't make any (big) mistakes, had some good defensive plays. There is a reason why they stopped attacking from his side and went at Azpi instead, but he also had a big "FUCK OFF" sign on his forehead. Wasn't so noticeable in the attacking phase, I think we attacked through Azpilicueta more and Alonso sat back more than usual (probably instructions from the coach). It's great because he showed he can perform to an acceptable level when the odds are stacked against the team.

2 hours ago, manpe said:

Thought he did well yesterday against City. Didn't let much through from his side, didn't make any (big) mistakes, had some good defensive plays. There is a reason why they stopped attacking from his side and went at Azpi instead, but he also had a big "FUCK OFF" sign on his forehead. Wasn't so noticeable in the attacking phase, I think we attacked through Azpilicueta more and Alonso sat back more than usual (probably instructions from the coach). It's great because he showed he can perform to an acceptable level when the odds are stacked against the team.

He was much better in the second half, when we sat deep and focused on attacking down our right - presumably to target Delph at left back - but he was awful in the first half. Kept giving the ball away and was found wanting defensively on numerous occasions. Even got turned inside out easily by Sterling, which would have led to a goal if it weren't for Azpi blocking Sane's shot. His second half performance certainly highlights the issue with him - we had to "cancel" an attacking outlet just to cover his severe lack of pace/weakness. It worked yesterday given the tactics against City but surely, we can't keep persisting with this if Sarri is to achieve his brand of dynamic, attacking football?

He was much better in the second half, when we sat deep and focused on attacking down our right - presumably to target Delph at left back - but he was awful in the first half. Kept giving the ball away and was found wanting defensively on numerous occasions. Even got turned inside out easily by Sterling, which almost led to a goal if it weren't for Azpi blocking Sane's shot. His second half performance certainly highlights the issue with him - we had to "cancel" an attacking outlet just to cover his severe lack of pace/weakness. It worked yesterday given the tactics against City but surely, we can't keep persisting with this if Sarri is to achieve his brand of dynamic, attacking football?
Very good points made

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jason said:

He was much better in the second half, when we sat deep and focused on attacking down our right - presumably to target Delph at left back - but he was awful in the first half. Kept giving the ball away and was found wanting defensively on numerous occasions. Even got turned inside out easily by Sterling, which would have led to a goal if it weren't for Azpi blocking Sane's shot. His second half performance certainly highlights the issue with him - we had to "cancel" an attacking outlet just to cover his severe lack of pace/weakness. It worked yesterday given the tactics against City but surely, we can't keep persisting with this if Sarri is to achieve his brand of dynamic, attacking football?

Good summation. Plus, I went crazy in 1st half with his bad passing. But yes, 2nd half was better, but at a cost,  like you cohently pointed out.

He has got to go. Massive weak point on the team. He offers nothing but a random shot, and has not even been scoring with those (see today for perfect example). Woefully slow and a hacker on defence.

Emerson obviously isnt the answer, so we have to go out and upgrade.

Lucas Hernández

Alex Sandro

Alex Telles

Junior Firpo

José Gayà

Raphaël Guerreiro

Wendell

Ferland Mendy

Alejandro Grimaldo

Pick one buy one.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

He has got to go. Massive weak point on the team. He offers nothing but a random shot, and has not even been scoring with those (see today for perfect example). Woefully slow and a hacker on defence.

Emerson obviously isnt the answer, so we have to go out and upgrade.

Lucas Hernández

Alex Sandro

Alex Telles

Junior Firpo

José Gayà

Raphaël Guerreiro

Wendell

Ferland Mendy

Alejandro Grimaldo

Pick one buy one.

Unfortunately, I feel like the likes of you and me who are advocating for him to lose his place are in a minority. It's a total deja vu of Ivanovic from the 2nd half of the 14-15 season onwards. I can't help but dread that it would have to take a huge chunk of (back to back) humiliating defeats where his average-ness is illuminated with a billion suns' light, like Ivanovic vs Arsenal at the start of the 16-17 season, that he'll finally be erased from any first XI contention ever again. I don't want it to happen but I can't help but feel that all the teams we are gonna face soon in the league, Leicester, Watford, Crystal Palace, Southampton etc, are gonna contemplate and brainstorm ways to exploit him to the fullest. I remember Pardew mentioning in a pundit job how, when he was at CP, they purposely targeted Ivanovic in that 1-2 win at the start of the 15-16 season.

I will never understand the idea that alonso is bad because other teams will target his position in defense, which is akin to saying azpi needs to be dropped because he can’t attack. Same position different roles.

ivanovic comparisons are super silly btw (he was an excellent defender at his peak).

now, alonso is indeed playing poorly and very little attacking play has been coming out of his side.

1 hour ago, kellzfresh said:

If you want to see a proper left back, watch Robertson against Manchester united today. He absolutely skinned them, even Mourinho had to acknowledge.

Yes but strange Mourinho said that when, for whatever reason, he didn't adjust his team to stop him...