Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

He still isn't very sure at the back. And it is mainly to do with pace. He gets the ball pushed around him at times, and the quick wingers just go around the other side. Doesn't fill you with confidence.

Great in attack though. 

He's not a fullback. Well, okay, he makes a decent fullback but he's not a defender. He's at home in that left midfield role. Played there for Fiorentina and now here.

Think that's the reason why Conte never switched back to a back four. And if he did, I'm sure we'd see Azpilicueta at leftback before Alonso.

54 minutes ago, Styles said:

Alonso is a failed winger playing LB. He was probably moved back in his youth due to a lack of pace. This isn't a guy who grew up playing defence all his life.

Well, every full-back is a failed winger you might say :D Nobody really wants to be a defender as a kid. Many center-backs are failed midfielders also, like JT for example (used to play CM in his youth, no?).

4 hours ago, manpe said:

Well, every full-back is a failed winger you might say :D Nobody really wants to be a defender as a kid. Many center-backs are failed midfielders also, like JT for example (used to play CM in his youth, no?).

And in some cases, CBs can turn into attacking midfielders like in Barkley's case.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ja1 said:

One of the most overrated players in recent Chelsea history.

No he isnt. Attacking wise he is one of the best in the league. Its his defensive side that lets him down. 

The guy on his own won us the Spurs game. The fuck you smoking.

Conte had to sub him off.

If the Burnley debacle didn't happen I'm sure he would be kept on. But we've seen how ref can get influenced by crowds and start giving a spree of cards.
On top of that, our players need more sense and keep a calm head. 
If Conte didn't sub him off, any 50-50 challenge which he lost, no doubt Dean would've sent him off.

He needs to learn from Kante on how to deal with being carded.

It's the obvious and I know he has been here for over a season now but felt like my eyes were bleeding watching Alonso's snail-esque pace today. Unless he's played into space going forward, he's somewhat useless because he rarely wins 1 v 1 and doesn't have pace and watching him go the other way was bad, really bad.

He just looked irritable all game. It's almost as if he could physically feel Kennedy's breathe on his neck! :sweating:

In all seriousness, don't think Kennedy has much of a chance getting into the XI, but Azpi certainly looked comfortable at WB in defense and even in attack..

14 hours ago, Polo7 said:

No he isnt. Attacking wise he is one of the best in the league. Its his defensive side that lets him down. 

The guy on his own won us the Spurs game. The fuck you smoking.

He really is not. He has a great sense of when to get into the box to try to score and he takes a mean FK. But while those attributes are clearly important they are not the attacking contribution you expect from your fullback. 

He does also have good technique and his passing range is decent. On the other hand, he is very slow, can't really dribble and his crossing is well below average. 

heh.. Think his passing range is a bit better than decent (as he finds moses often), and while he does not have the pace to consistently beat players, he can and has dribbled in very tight spaces. Excellent in the air, and really good first touch (technique again). Still think personal preferences work a bit against him, because folks may prefer a pacier wingback...

Don't usually like these videos, but think this one showcases his qualities quite well:

Alonso isn't one of the best wing-backs but he definitely is playing better than I expected when he joined. He is good in the air, have good technique, can cross properly and has really decent left foot, also a serious treat for the opposition from free kick. But it's easy to see how he is lacking pace and is often beaten 1v1, defensively he struggles against some good players and that's why I was hoping Chelsea can bring Alex Sandro who will be upgrade on him and our left-back position would've looked a lot stronger with him.

On 29/08/2017 at 1:10 AM, Thor said:

He still isn't very sure at the back. And it is mainly to do with pace. He gets the ball pushed around him at times, and the quick wingers just go around the other side. Doesn't fill you with confidence.

Great in attack though. 

This still holds true from a month ago. 

His side really gets hammered and tested against the better teams. Like I said, great in attack when we have control over the ball and can play around the box, because he seems to have great tactical awareness in regards to offence, but he is shambles on defence when it comes to 1-2's or being faced with a player quicker than him. He quite literally does 360's at times trying to find his man... Not instilling a lot of confidence... at least for me. 

Azpi at LWB is better for me. I don't like him on the right, but in the 30 minutes he played there against Stoke, he put in a better performance than Alonso ever has, Tottenham game included. 

Azpi could be a serious option there for me, considering the options we have in the middle.