Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

On 4/9/2017 at 6:24 AM, itsbeauj said:

A mate of mine last night said he didn't rate Alonso and that he still hasn't found his feet in the team yet. I disagree. I think he's done what he was put into the team to do. However, I still believe we should have gone for a Rodriguez or Gaya. 

BUT...I'm all about Alonso and the free kick last night was amazing. Well played.

Alonso is arguably better than both. If you said, Ghoulam or Kolasinac, I'd agree, but we made a fantastic choice.

Not ideal, but a fantastic player to have. If we end up signing someone world class at LWB and keeping him, it would be the ideal scenario.

5 hours ago, LondonsFinest said:

Alonso is arguably better than both. If you said, Ghoulam or Kolasinac, I'd agree, but we made a fantastic choice.

Not ideal, but a fantastic player to have. If we end up signing someone world class at LWB and keeping him, it would be the ideal scenario.

One thing I can say is that Alonso is certainly better than both Gaya and Rodriguez. Especially Rodriguez who's severely overrated because he has a decent left foot. 

Rodriguez and Wolfsburg, all in all, have a really bad season and are actually fighting at the bottom of the Bundesliga. Also, he has played more matches as CB this season, than as a LB, strangely for me. Moreover, he is having an injury right now and will be missed untill next month, probably. No point in having him as a target.

I'm actually happy with Alonso right now, I was sceptical at first with him, but he is doing good at LWB spot. I agree that we can look at improving this spot, as European football is coming next season and there will be more matches more competitions. But actually, I don't have an idea if there is someone available and worth buying in the market right now.
Give Kenedy a chance in the summer at LWB, he might actually do well there and have him also as an option for the next season.

8 hours ago, The Skipper said:

One thing I can say is that Alonso is certainly better than both Gaya and Rodriguez. Especially Rodriguez who's severely overrated because he has a decent left foot. 

My Grandma is faster than Rodriguez. No wonder that he didn't leave Wolfsburg yet.

21 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Rodriguez proved to be massive one season wonder. Unfortunately. Looked fantastic that wonder season at Wolfsburg, but he has been above average ever since. He needs too much defensive protection behind him. He'd do work, if he has people behind him, but except his crossing, he doesn't look better than Alonso. 

Gaya's hype is reasonable, but I think it came too soon.

15 minutes ago, LondonsFinest said:

Rodriguez proved to be massive one season wonder. Unfortunately. Looked fantastic that wonder season at Wolfsburg, but he has been above average ever since. He needs too much defensive protection behind him. He'd do work, if he has people behind him, but except his crossing, he doesn't look better than Alonso. 

Gaya's hype is reasonable, but I think it came too soon.

Tbf, it was two seasons (13/14+14/15) and a brilliant World Cup in between as well. Can't say I've been impressed in the past two seasons. Shame, really.

On 10/04/2017 at 10:08 PM, King11Didier said:

Rodriguez and Wolfsburg, all in all, have a really bad season and are actually fighting at the bottom of the Bundesliga. Also, he has played more matches as CB this season, than as a LB, strangely for me. Moreover, he is having an injury right now and will be missed untill next month, probably. No point in having him as a target.

I'm actually happy with Alonso right now, I was sceptical at first with him, but he is doing good at LWB spot. I agree that we can look at improving this spot, as European football is coming next season and there will be more matches more competitions. But actually, I don't have an idea if there is someone available and worth buying in the market right now.
Give Kenedy a chance in the summer at LWB, he might actually do well there and have him also as an option for the next season.

I think Kennedy has more chance to make it as a pure LB, rather than as an LWB. A vanishingly small chance, but more of a chance all the same. 

What people see as Kennedy's potential to bomb down the wing, causes them to get hopeful that he is a possibile LWB but I don't agree. It's a valuable trait for an LWB to be sure but he lacks possession skills which are far more important. In any case, his ability to pose a serious threat from the left hasn't yet moved beyond mere potential.

The very reasons which made me believe all along that that Marcos could help us, make me feel that Kennedy cannot.

As for Rodriguez, I've never understood what people see in him.

On 16. 4. 2017 at 8:03 PM, BlueLion. said:

You know we're shit when we miss Marcos Alonso...

Alonso is a great player. He is great Wing-back, has great chemistry with Hazard and it's obvious that we were struggling to create chances with Azpi or Moses on that left side. Not every great player is fast and explosive. 

Really think he deserves to be in that PFA Team of the year. Rose has been brilliant but also injured for large parts too while Alonso has consistently put in good performances and has scored 5 league goals which is remarkable. The English factor helped Rose there.

• 2 weeks later...
Alan Pardew on MNF said Alonso's inexperienced and has surprised as a LWB. [emoji38]

He is absolutely clueless. Alonso has been playing on a decent level for years now and has clearly upped his game since he joined us, especially after Conte changed to 3-4-3. His contribution is really great and he helps Hazard very much, because he drags the opposition defenders out wide. His crossing is decent and he has a very good left foot.

This season he has been performing very well for months, but doesn't get the praise he deserves.

Pardew can fuck off. Inexperienced? Alonso has 220 senior games to his name... and even then if he was inexperienced Alonso has been along with Bertrand and Rose, one of the best left back/wing backs in the league this year I think. Plus hes going to be a Premier League Champion come end of this month, Pardew cant exactly say hes done that can he? Theres a reason why hes only managed at certain clubs because he has no idea what hes going on about.