Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Because in the scheme of things it's meaningless. An ability to do it doesn't make a player good. An inability to do it doesn't make a player bad. There are an awful lot of footballers who are way short of professional standard but who can do stuff like that. It's an irrelevance.

Thats exactly how I see both him and Moses. They both do a very adequate job for us and and I really hope they both stay to both push and fight for a place and give much needed backup. They would continue to be relevant

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Because in the scheme of things it's meaningless. An ability to do it doesn't make a player good. An inability to do it doesn't make a player bad. There are an awful lot of footballers who are way short of professional standard but who can do stuff like that. It's an irrelevance.

Still think you missed my point the skill in itself is a part of it but the bigger point is that Marcos has a High futbol IQ. Technical ability and tactical awareness is a huge part of that. What he lacks in maybe pure physical prowess (pace) he makes up for by knowing where to be to support in attack and in defence. The fact that he could pull that skill off verses 2 players was just a bonus cherry on top .. but thanks for the reply:)

40 minutes ago, bluesman2610 said:

Still think you missed my point the skill in itself is a part of it but the bigger point is that Marcos has a High futbol IQ. Technical ability and tactical awareness is a huge part of that. What he lacks in maybe pure physical prowess (pace) he makes up for by knowing where to be to support in attack and in defence. The fact that he could pull that skill off verses 2 players was just a bonus cherry on top .. but thanks for the reply:)

Well we fully agree about Marcos. I'm a big fan of his.

I replied as I did because you asked, "I'm sorry b[o]ut how are we not talking more about this skill", so I hope you see why I thought you were talking particularly about the skill.

7 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

He is so fucking good at FKs from that area and distance. Wow. 2 crossbars and 1 goal in 3 attempts.

His left foot is the best kept secret in world football lol. Amazing crosses and free kicks. 

21 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

He is so fucking good at FKs from that area and distance. Wow. 2 crossbars and 1 goal in 3 attempts.

spot on. great technique and what an important goal. bends it like bekcham with power brecicison, curl and curve. 

Such an underrated player. A real unsung hero. He has his critics but I am a real big fan of his. Utilizes his strengths well and despite not being the fastest, he manages to get forward so much times because he like typical Spaniards, is very smart in their play. Good defender too. 5 goals for the season. Brilliant for a LWB in his first season :clap:

26 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

His left foot is the best kept secret in world football lol. Amazing crosses and free kicks. 

Disagree with the crossing. He's a decent crosser. His FKs have been good. Not much to go by though.

Great goal. Keep it coming if possible.

How is his possession keeping skills poor? He is one of our better players with the ball and one of the more accomplished defenders in the PL at using the ball. He lost possession against Arsenal cheaply but apart from that most times you watch him, he uses the ball really well and is very calm in possession. 

the following is about Cahill....I definitely disagree with that.

I think that he often just has a lot of time and space when he gets the ball. He always makes the simple pass either to a center mid or to Luiz or to Alonso on the left. That's about it. But when he doesn't have that space to dribble the ball into or the time to make simplest of passes, he greatly struggles. If he is under any type of pressure he often boots it away, he definitely isn't calm in those situations. There are times and every single game where he should be keeping the ball, but is not comfortable enough to do so.

There's also times where he needs to make a more advancing pass, but he only makes the simple short pass because that is what he's comfortable with and is able to do. He really limits us in possession

14 minutes ago, Miguelito said:

I definitely disagree with that.

I think that he often just has a lot of time and space when he gets the ball. He always makes the simple pass either to a center mid or to Luiz or to Alonso on the left. That's about it. But when he doesn't have that space to dribble the ball into or the time to make simplest of passes, he greatly struggles. If he is under any type of pressure he often boots it away, he definitely isn't calm in those situations. There are times and every single game where he should be keeping the ball, but is not comfortable enough to do so.

There's also times where he needs to make a more advancing pass, but he only makes the simple short pass because that is what he's comfortable with and is able to do. He really limits us in possession

Well I guess we see two different things. I find him composed all the time and never chooses the easy option, he uses the ball well to find a player and if necessary kicks it out. When AVB signed him, this was a particular set of skills that he picked out about Cahill that suits his style of football because he described him a very good, ball playing defender. That is also a big reason why I think Conte persists with all three defenders at CB as they all have the ability to used the ball effectively. He don't have the passing skills of Luiz or possession skills but imo he is very comfortable on the ball.

1 hour ago, Miguelito said:

I definitely disagree with that.

Agree 100% with you on Cahill.

suggest that we spell out the name of the player in discussion esp when off-topic (to avoid confusion).

anyone can carry the football without being contested esp professional players, but real technique is needed when in tight spaces.

alonso has excellent technique and ball control. Most diff attribute to improve. The rest he can improve on, esp composure. However, as a tall player and due to his build, he will never be pacey.

A mate of mine last night said he didn't rate Alonso and that he still hasn't found his feet in the team yet. I disagree. I think he's done what he was put into the team to do. However, I still believe we should have gone for a Rodriguez or Gaya. 

BUT...I'm all about Alonso and the free kick last night was amazing. Well played.