Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

59 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He would be tragic in a flat back four (im talking Bosingwa tragic) but as a wing back we have enough cover for his defensive deficiencys. Still think we can upgrade in the long run tho.

surely this is one position we can improve on. But he is a very competent player. He could be a bit more mobile and play the game at a higher temp but he is at an age where he can still develop.

btw Ashley Cole used to be a similarly frustrating finisher at times. 

Also we have Kenedy and Baba who will surely excel at this position too so I am not too fussed about the Lwb spot

Simply not good enough. Has done well so far but just not that level we need. He is so fucking slow and his shooting...my god its horrible. That chance against Tottenham....even I could shoot that call behind Lloris but Marcos couldn't. And I'm pissed like a rat 27/4 

Tldr: weak link in the team. Need a better left-wingback. 

9 hours ago, BoyBlue96 said:

Simply not good enough. Has done well so far but just not that level we need. He is so fucking slow and his shooting...my god its horrible. That chance against Tottenham....even I could shoot that call behind Lloris but Marcos couldn't. And I'm pissed like a rat 27/4 

Tldr: weak link in the team. Need a better left-wingback. 

To be fair, he's done well and is part of the defense which has barely conceded at all since we changed to a back three.

He looks slow because he's tall and gangly, and most players outpacing him when 1 on 1 aren't exactly slouches. 

For me, he's done a great job given the fact that we've conceded less goals and he has contributed plenty in attacks. Unlike Iva who goes forward and always leaves a gap ( or chasm), Alonso makes it back in position and makes it difficult for opposition( even if they eventually best him for pace).

You can't judge him on that missed opportunity, it was on his weaker foot and we didn't buy him for his goalscoring prowess. 

49 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Are the people who are criticising Alonso the same ones criticising Willian. Nobody can win at this club can they haha? I can't remember him putting a foot wrong in all honestly, it's not possible to win every 1v1 (well it could be but honestly find me a player with 100% defending in 1v1s) and I'm sure Alonso had created the joint top amount of chances in the match, or so they said on BT Sport.

It's not that he gets beat it's the way he gets beat, so easy so many times. However as I've alluded to at wing back it isn't that big an issue because he is decent going forward and there's enough cover around, in a flat back four he would get regularly targeted and exposed.

Also Willian is what he is, a highly talented but inconsistent winger, he wasn't even better last season than his usual self he just looked it due to how bad the rest were.

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It's not that he gets beat it's the way he gets beat, so easy so many times. However as I've alluded to at wing back it isn't that big an issue because he is decent going forward and there's enough cover around, in a flat back four he would get regularly targeted and exposed.

Also Willian is what he is, a highly talented but inconsistent winger, he wasn't even better last season than his usual self he just looked it due to how bad the rest were.

You mean when Adama Traore blitzed past him (and for me, he rather intelligently didn't try and touch him where he would of conceded a foul) v Middlesborough and when Kyle Walker flicked the ball over his head?

To be fair they are probably two of the quickest players in Europe, or at least I would think Traore would be in that list anyway, Marcos is not slow but I wonder how many players will be able to cope with Adama Traores pace in situations like that? Not many. Again Walker took it over his head in a 1v1 what is he meant to do foul him? I wonder how many fouls he has conceded in all honesty because it cannot be that many. 

Willians football last season was better than the year we won the league. No denying it. It's too soon to write him off, or we might as well have written Hazard off after last season.

23 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

You mean when Adama Traore blitzed past him (and for me, he rather intelligently didn't try and touch him where he would of conceded a foul) v Middlesborough and when Kyle Walker flicked the ball over his head?

To be fair they are probably two of the quickest players in Europe, or at least I would think Traore would be in that list anyway, Marcos is not slow but I wonder how many players will be able to cope with Adama Traores pace in situations like that? Not many. Again Walker took it over his head in a 1v1 what is he meant to do foul him? I wonder how many fouls he has conceded in all honesty because it cannot be that many. 

Willians football last season was better than the year we won the league. No denying it. It's too soon to write him off, or we might as well have written Hazard off after last season.

There was the first half vs Saints were Tadic repeatedly had him on toast.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

There was the first half vs Saints were Tadic repeatedly had him on toast.

That was one occasion if I remember right in the first 10 minutes where Tadic beat him then did two or three faints (thought it was quite needless after the first one to be honest as it was an excellent chance to get it in early to catch our defence out) before crossing the ball in where it came to nothing.

I've checked the stats and on average they aren't great for him in 1v1 duels but I don't think that means he struggles in 1v1s, this is his first season in England (he played in England for Bolton and Sunderland yes but I'm discounting these because he played in Italy after for however many years) at a top club, he's only played 7 or 8 games and he's already been declared a weak link or someone who struggles 1v1 although he is more than competent at this as he has shown bar two or three moments that stick out with Adama Traore, Kyle Walker and Dusan Tadic (I think the three of them would give a lot of people problems to be honest).

He is an excellent option because he offers a different threat, some of his crossing is very good, he's got good stamina and is strong in the air, perhaps he's not to everyone's taste as he looks quite lethargic in comparison to some players but I can't see why people would want to think of him as a weak link already when we've conceded 1 goal in 7 games and he wasn't even involved in the goal we did concede. 

I think next season he will be even better, Conte turned Lichsteiner from an average defensive player to a very good one so I have high hopes he can improve Alonso even more.