Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

On 9/2/2016 at 8:57 AM, Parky said:

Yea I think his top speed is decent but his initial acceleration is poor. As an example a player like our Hazard/Willian who both have great acceleration and agility will most likely rip past him. However if Alonso can position, anticipate and tackle well than he can limit this weakness.

cramfQY.jpg

I knew he was a very good crosser of the ball from his videos, and I just found some stats to back it up. 

I could say a lot of things about Alonso, but the only true one would be admitting I've never heard of him before. Not even in his cameo on Sunderland. Hate the Black Cats with a passion, if he ever played against us, I honestly can't remember.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Seems like we have a few decent FK takers now in the squad - Willian, Oscar, Fabregas, Luiz, Hazard and Alonso. Not too bad.

It actually feels very weird considering that for years we had to watch Frank hit the wall 99% of the time :lol: 

1 hour ago, Mufassir08 said:

Even with all the usual caveats about transfer fees skyrocketing this season, there's no escaping the fact that it's a lot of money. Like, a lot. From an Italian perspective, the price is absolutely outrageous. Pjanic went for just a bit more, for crying out loud, and he's one of the best players in the league.

I've seen a lot of talk about how he could play as a centre back and it's a bit misleading. True, he's played on the left of a back three before but only due to a poverty of options. That's alright in the slower paced, tactically robust Serie A, but he'd get torn apart trying to do the same in the Premier League. Drop him into that Conte style 4-2-4 and you expose all of his weakness and play to none of his strengths.

Consistency is the main thing, he puts in a real shift every week, but there's nothing truly outstanding.

But he's definitely a bit of a dreamer. He's best when he has an organiser in the back four, someone to shout at him. I guess Terry would fill this role at Chelsea. But when he's left alone with a similarly absent-minded defender — Astori, for example — things can get a bit hectic

Do I think he's good enough for most Premier League teams? Sure. Is he going to be one of the best in the league. I doubt it. Could he do a job as a back up? Definitely.

Depressing.

Remember that he'll be surrounded by players about 5 levels above anyone he played with at Fiorentina. Will he look better with much better players around him? My guess is yes and that's why Conte wanted him. There's no way we would have gone for him unless Conte personally asked the club to sign him.

32 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Remember that he'll be surrounded by players about 5 levels above anyone he played with at Fiorentina. Will he look better with much better players around him? My guess is yes and that's why Conte wanted him. There's no way we would have gone for him unless Conte personally asked the club to sign him.

Damn shame Emenalo didn't say no. :Goober:

1 hour ago, Styles said:

Depressing.

You can get more depressing reading this from the fan:

Chelsea want to pay a lot of money for Marcos Alonso

I am so confused by everything which is contained in this model that we call the universe that I think I need to go lie down for a little while.

We're all familiar with Marcos Alonso. A few of us tolerate him. Many of us hate him. Most of us think he's, eh, just fine. As a versatile defender who has some very obvious strengths and even more obvious weaknesses, he's the definition of a capable but forgettable squad player: occasional brilliance, occasional catastrophe, and a persistent failure to capture the hearts and minds of the fanbase. In short, he's not the sort of player you expect a mega-rich team to make a mega-rich bid for. And yet, here we are.

No, dear reader, it's not a fever dream. According to various media outlets in Italy and the UK, Chelsea have made a €25 million bid for Marcos #*&%ing Alonso. In fairness, Chelsea don't really have any leftbacks on the roster--Cesar Azpilicueta can fill in there, but that's pretty much it--and this late in the window, one has to make a big offer to pry a decent player away from a club. Alonso is also familiar with the Premier League after excelling for Bolton, and he is very handsome, but paying €25 million for him seems like a Bebe-level exercise in absurdity.

Oh, and while we're speaking of absurdity, here's another fun little nugget: Fiorentina may not let him go. That's right, a player who's routinely exposed in defense and can look helpless going forward apparently isn't worth approximately 0.9 Miralem Pjanices. Sure, it'd be tough to find a quality replacement this late in the window, and unproven veteran Hrvoje Milic is the only other leftback on the roster, but holding out for €30 million (the number Corvino's reportedly angling for) takes a heap of chutzpah. Sure, he looks this good in a highlight video, but, c'mon, it's Marcos.

For the record, Alonso has made 85 appearances for Fiorentina, notching 5 goals, 7 assists, 17 yellow cards, and a red card. 4 of those goals and 3 of those assists came last season, which was his finest in purple. As a hardworking, functional player who's a genuine threat at set pieces, you can see why Chelsea might want him and why the Viola would want to keep him. But when you look at the numbers being thrown around, this becomes less of a transfer rumor and more of a Samuel Beckett gag.

http://www.violanation.com/fiorentina-transfer-rumors-news-reports/2016/8/29/12685468/chelsea-want-to-pay-a-lot-of-money-for-marcos-alonso

2 minutes ago, Fernando said:

You can get more depressing reading this from the fan:

Chelsea want to pay a lot of money for Marcos Alonso

I am so confused by everything which is contained in this model that we call the universe that I think I need to go lie down for a little while.

We're all familiar with Marcos Alonso. A few of us tolerate him. Many of us hate him. Most of us think he's, eh, just fine. As a versatile defender who has some very obvious strengths and even more obvious weaknesses, he's the definition of a capable but forgettable squad player: occasional brilliance, occasional catastrophe, and a persistent failure to capture the hearts and minds of the fanbase. In short, he's not the sort of player you expect a mega-rich team to make a mega-rich bid for. And yet, here we are.

No, dear reader, it's not a fever dream. According to various media outlets in Italy and the UK, Chelsea have made a €25 million bid for Marcos #*&%ing Alonso. In fairness, Chelsea don't really have any leftbacks on the roster--Cesar Azpilicueta can fill in there, but that's pretty much it--and this late in the window, one has to make a big offer to pry a decent player away from a club. Alonso is also familiar with the Premier League after excelling for Bolton, and he is very handsome, but paying €25 million for him seems like a Bebe-level exercise in absurdity.

Oh, and while we're speaking of absurdity, here's another fun little nugget: Fiorentina may not let him go. That's right, a player who's routinely exposed in defense and can look helpless going forward apparently isn't worth approximately 0.9 Miralem Pjanices. Sure, it'd be tough to find a quality replacement this late in the window, and unproven veteran Hrvoje Milic is the only other leftback on the roster, but holding out for €30 million (the number Corvino's reportedly angling for) takes a heap of chutzpah. Sure, he looks this good in a highlight video, but, c'mon, it's Marcos.

For the record, Alonso has made 85 appearances for Fiorentina, notching 5 goals, 7 assists, 17 yellow cards, and a red card. 4 of those goals and 3 of those assists came last season, which was his finest in purple. As a hardworking, functional player who's a genuine threat at set pieces, you can see why Chelsea might want him and why the Viola would want to keep him. But when you look at the numbers being thrown around, this becomes less of a transfer rumor and more of a Samuel Beckett gag.

http://www.violanation.com/fiorentina-transfer-rumors-news-reports/2016/8/29/12685468/chelsea-want-to-pay-a-lot-of-money-for-marcos-alonso

Damn, we really signed someone for the sake of signing someone. I'm sick.