Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

If his transfer does not put Ivanovic on the bench, I won't see much sense in this move.
I can't compare this move with Azpi's cause back then I didn't know Dave and how was he playing. He came here as no one, but worked hard and is still doing it. He improved and with time he sarted to be more and more appreciated by the fans. But I have seen Alonso games and I have been not impressed at all. We should have aimed at more proved players. It's a gamble for this money, but I hope he can improve and show us that he is ready to play for a big club like Chelsea.

So much negativity - give the lad a chance :) 

having a player in position will be a massive bonus (The best position is Iva on the bench) 

You can't really compare his previous performances - there's no guarantees in football - people probably thought the same about Kante before last season - you just never know.. Look at Fonte - bang average then finds some good form has a decent euros and press are loving him.. Fickle business football! 

We just need to be patient and give the lad a chance ! 

2 hours ago, Bir_CFC said:

Based on YouTube he looks like he's very good on the ball and strong. Wish I could find videos of his 1 on 1 defending.

Speaking of which, the football community does a really poor job when it comes to analysing players on tape. As an NBA guy I'm so used to scouting videos from professional scouts that every time I wanna look up a football player to get a feel for him I find shitty highlights videos with even shittier music choices and it's all just smh

1 hour ago, communicate said:

is he any good ?

Usually not a big fan signing player from serie A unless he is a world class player

I've watched about three different videos of Alonso and also this one up there. I know that videos are not as good as watching him in the match but from what I've seen of him, he has very good attacking qualities. He can cross very well, he has better linkup play than any fullback in our team (Spanish guys are usually fantastic in this area) he can take freekicks very well. He can play in a 3 centerbacks system as the leftsided centerback.

For the defensive side of his game, he is big for a fullback so he's not getting bullied easily. And he doesn't back off with hands behind his back like ivanovic when tackling, he actually closes down the opponent quickly like Azpilicueta. 

But because of his size, he looks slower than I thought. He doesn't have that initial acceleration, but he's still faster than ivanovic. He could be beaten by pace, especially in a faster Premier League. 

2 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

But because of his size, he looks slower than I thought. He doesn't have that initial acceleration, but he's still faster than ivanovic. He could be beaten by pace, especially in a faster Premier League. 

Yea I think his top speed is decent but his initial acceleration is poor. As an example a player like our Hazard/Willian who both have great acceleration and agility will most likely rip past him. However if Alonso can position, anticipate and tackle well than he can limit this weakness.