Spike
Followers 2

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He hasn't even kicked a ball yet for us and you guys are moaning.  Just remember who we currently have at RB. Moving Azpi over there alone would be a huge upgrade and if Alonso can become a consis

Hell of a struggle for him yesterday and he was clearly being targeted. An upgrade is a must and I think Conte knows by now. That's not to say Alonso won't be a useful squad player for a few year

Another sensational game he was brilliant. Traore was the only player I was worried about from that team and he marginalised the threat by Traore and going forward was such a threat. He lost Traore so

Posted Images

I think this lad is immensely talented. It's his technique and passing ability that impresses me the most. He also can and will get past opposition players. You can never go wrong with this type of player. 

I'm glad the board and Antonio are investing in players like him. Enough of a squad that can't even do the basics; ball control, one-touch passing, etc. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Mustafa said:

Completely disagree. I think he's got a peach of a left foot. Immense technique. The chance we had towards the end of 1st half where Pedro turned immaculately was all started with a Zidane esque touch from Marcos. If there's one thing you can't dispute is his technique in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if he pops in a free kick for us in the near future.. lad has got a class left foot

Hmm when I say technically - I'm referring to his overall game - not his 'technical' aspect of left foot.

he will make mistakes and cost goals - but hey, who doesn't :)

like I have said before- I really like him and love his work rate and attitude - I hope he spends some time with Dave who can help on all aspects of his defending :) making him technically an overall better player :)

nice to to see a bargain perform well - between him and Azpi - absolute steal :)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Was surprised we signed him but boy has he been excellent since coming into the team.

Moses is getting a huge amount of praise but I think Alonso has been even better, excellent engine, technically sound and has a great cross on him, always puts it in to great areas. I am also surprised how strong he is in the air (although he is 6ft or there about) because he has quite a slight build but he gets up well and you often see he has a similar role to what Ivanovic had for when we are playing out/at goalkicks, if we have to go long and play aerially to get a knock down, he is quite often a target and normally wins it. 

If he keeps playing well he could get a call up for Spain for the next international break next year I think, they've been experimenting with 3-4-3 in some matches and he could probably slot in at LB with ease in that team. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He would be tragic in a flat back four (im talking Bosingwa tragic) but as a wing back we have enough cover for his defensive deficiencys. Still think we can upgrade in the long run tho.

surely this is one position we can improve on. But he is a very competent player. He could be a bit more mobile and play the game at a higher temp but he is at an age where he can still develop.

btw Ashley Cole used to be a similarly frustrating finisher at times. 

Also we have Kenedy and Baba who will surely excel at this position too so I am not too fussed about the Lwb spot

Simply not good enough. Has done well so far but just not that level we need. He is so fucking slow and his shooting...my god its horrible. That chance against Tottenham....even I could shoot that call behind Lloris but Marcos couldn't. And I'm pissed like a rat 27/4 

Tldr: weak link in the team. Need a better left-wingback. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, BoyBlue96 said:

Simply not good enough. Has done well so far but just not that level we need. He is so fucking slow and his shooting...my god its horrible. That chance against Tottenham....even I could shoot that call behind Lloris but Marcos couldn't. And I'm pissed like a rat 27/4 

Tldr: weak link in the team. Need a better left-wingback. 

To be fair, he's done well and is part of the defense which has barely conceded at all since we changed to a back three.

He looks slow because he's tall and gangly, and most players outpacing him when 1 on 1 aren't exactly slouches. 

For me, he's done a great job given the fact that we've conceded less goals and he has contributed plenty in attacks. Unlike Iva who goes forward and always leaves a gap ( or chasm), Alonso makes it back in position and makes it difficult for opposition( even if they eventually best him for pace).

You can't judge him on that missed opportunity, it was on his weaker foot and we didn't buy him for his goalscoring prowess. 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Are the people who are criticising Alonso the same ones criticising Willian. Nobody can win at this club can they haha? I can't remember him putting a foot wrong in all honestly, it's not possible to win every 1v1 (well it could be but honestly find me a player with 100% defending in 1v1s) and I'm sure Alonso had created the joint top amount of chances in the match, or so they said on BT Sport.

It's not that he gets beat it's the way he gets beat, so easy so many times. However as I've alluded to at wing back it isn't that big an issue because he is decent going forward and there's enough cover around, in a flat back four he would get regularly targeted and exposed.

Also Willian is what he is, a highly talented but inconsistent winger, he wasn't even better last season than his usual self he just looked it due to how bad the rest were.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It's not that he gets beat it's the way he gets beat, so easy so many times. However as I've alluded to at wing back it isn't that big an issue because he is decent going forward and there's enough cover around, in a flat back four he would get regularly targeted and exposed.

Also Willian is what he is, a highly talented but inconsistent winger, he wasn't even better last season than his usual self he just looked it due to how bad the rest were.

You mean when Adama Traore blitzed past him (and for me, he rather intelligently didn't try and touch him where he would of conceded a foul) v Middlesborough and when Kyle Walker flicked the ball over his head?

To be fair they are probably two of the quickest players in Europe, or at least I would think Traore would be in that list anyway, Marcos is not slow but I wonder how many players will be able to cope with Adama Traores pace in situations like that? Not many. Again Walker took it over his head in a 1v1 what is he meant to do foul him? I wonder how many fouls he has conceded in all honesty because it cannot be that many. 

Willians football last season was better than the year we won the league. No denying it. It's too soon to write him off, or we might as well have written Hazard off after last season.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

You mean when Adama Traore blitzed past him (and for me, he rather intelligently didn't try and touch him where he would of conceded a foul) v Middlesborough and when Kyle Walker flicked the ball over his head?

To be fair they are probably two of the quickest players in Europe, or at least I would think Traore would be in that list anyway, Marcos is not slow but I wonder how many players will be able to cope with Adama Traores pace in situations like that? Not many. Again Walker took it over his head in a 1v1 what is he meant to do foul him? I wonder how many fouls he has conceded in all honesty because it cannot be that many. 

Willians football last season was better than the year we won the league. No denying it. It's too soon to write him off, or we might as well have written Hazard off after last season.

There was the first half vs Saints were Tadic repeatedly had him on toast.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

There was the first half vs Saints were Tadic repeatedly had him on toast.

That was one occasion if I remember right in the first 10 minutes where Tadic beat him then did two or three faints (thought it was quite needless after the first one to be honest as it was an excellent chance to get it in early to catch our defence out) before crossing the ball in where it came to nothing.

I've checked the stats and on average they aren't great for him in 1v1 duels but I don't think that means he struggles in 1v1s, this is his first season in England (he played in England for Bolton and Sunderland yes but I'm discounting these because he played in Italy after for however many years) at a top club, he's only played 7 or 8 games and he's already been declared a weak link or someone who struggles 1v1 although he is more than competent at this as he has shown bar two or three moments that stick out with Adama Traore, Kyle Walker and Dusan Tadic (I think the three of them would give a lot of people problems to be honest).

He is an excellent option because he offers a different threat, some of his crossing is very good, he's got good stamina and is strong in the air, perhaps he's not to everyone's taste as he looks quite lethargic in comparison to some players but I can't see why people would want to think of him as a weak link already when we've conceded 1 goal in 7 games and he wasn't even involved in the goal we did concede. 

I think next season he will be even better, Conte turned Lichsteiner from an average defensive player to a very good one so I have high hopes he can improve Alonso even more.

• Like 4