Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Chelsea 2-1 West Ham

Jas
Followers 0

56 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

^^ Good analysis @Jason I think.

I thought everyone played well and that the only flaws in any performances were caused by the players individual limitations. In the end any footballer can only play as well as they can play. Can't ask any more of anyone than that. We can ask for more quality to be added to the squad however and I think it's fair to say we all spent the summer doing just that!

A lot of what is being asked for is that we should fix the back four. While there can be no doubt that work is needed in that area I'm convinced we'll solve more of our problems if we  solve the midfield. Keep the ball better, move the ball better  means we ease the pressure and retain our shape better. That automatically improves our defending.

if the only squad improvements we can achieve for happened to be defenders then so be it but we mustn't neglect other areas of need.

Well done to the lads. Well done to the boss.

Well, we can improve our ball circulation if we play Fabregas, but we can't really play Fabregas without too much risk with the defenders we have. So, it's a bit of both actually.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

being able to come back and get a win showed great resiliency and mental toughness.

I don't agree. If and when we are able to do this repeatedly and predictably, it will show that. Until then all it shows is that we did it today.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I don't agree. If and when we are able to do this repeatedly and predictably, it will show that. Until then all it shows is that we did it today.

Understandable and fair. I'm just happy we got the year started with a big 3 points.

24 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Well, we can improve our ball circulation if we play Fabregas, but we can't really play Fabregas without too much risk with the defenders we have. So, it's a bit of both actually.

Not really we need a player who is better than either Fab or Oscar in that role.One who combines the better traits of both.I would argue that this would represent solving the midfield, as i put it.

8 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Only way Cesc can regularly start games under Conte is if we sign Koulibaly and a new fullback. That way Kante wouldn't have to pick up so much slack. You want Fabregas as free as possible from defensive responsibility. Runners and legs next to him (Kante & Oscar) and enough pace and athleticism behind him (Koulibaly, new fullback, and eventually Zouma) to deal with anything that breaks through the midfield.

Can't see a role for him as anything other than a squad player unless he's completely protected.

2 hours ago, nono said:

Dominating possession doesn't mean much. How many clear cut chances were we creating ? We were clearly out of ideas. Costa just rescued two points on his own. 

How many chances did West Ham create ? 

It is not always how many chances your create.  It's the balance that is important.  If you park the bus,  concede 0 and create 0, it is just crappy football. 

I don't think we concede any big chances other than late flurry by West ham (not overly concerned with the corner) and we create enough imo.

If we want to create more, easy bring fabregas in. We will be better at creating chances and our ball circulation will be much better but we will concede chances. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

...We played with a lot of intensity but didn't really create enough clear cut chances and it's concerning that Hazard looked more likely to create something than anyone else. But since it's a new season and with a new manager, can only hope we'll get better with that.

It's a good first win for Conte, but Chelsea are not going to create enough "clear cut chances" during the season with a lack of ability/speed from CM and LB while Hazard looks for openings and is -again- surrounded by opposition defenders every time (like the past seasons). 

We need more from LB and CM on the build-up.  On the other side of the pitch, people will complain about Willian but it seems to me that if combination play were improved on both flanks and down the middle, we wouldn't need a 2nd superman on the RW to complement Hazard on the left. Or, in other words: let's not blow a huge wad on another winger; let's fix the defence and CM first. That next big money attacking player winger should come down the road.

I thought Oscar played just fine against this opponent. The combination play around Hazard (or lack thereof) bothered me much more than any of Oscar's shortcomings.

Good win against a fairly tough opponent, but I don't think WHU were at their best either. 

We need better players and better combination play from back-to-front.  Matic looks like a Bolton or West Brom player; Hazard: Real Madrid/Barca quality.

**despite being minimally involved in the build-up, Kante looked good. I'm happy he's with us. very smooth on the ball along with being a zipper who breaks up play.

51 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Not really we need a player who is better than either Fab or Oscar in that role.One who combines the better traits of both.I would argue that this would represent solving the midfield, as i put it.

Ideally, yes. Can't see a player available on the market right now (that would join us) that can get us that though. Which means we have to make do with what we've got for now. We can get pretty good ball circulation going on if we get in a midfield of Oscar, Fabregas and Kante, providing we sign a competent CB and LB. That's the best solution we can get right now. 

49 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Only way Cesc can regularly start games under Conte is if we sign Koulibaly and a new fullback. That way Kante wouldn't have to pick up so much slack. You want Fabregas as free as possible from defensive responsibility. Runners and legs next to him (Kante & Oscar) and enough pace and athleticism behind him (Koulibaly, new fullback, and eventually Zouma) to deal with anything that breaks through the midfield.

Can't see a role for him as anything other than a squad player unless he's completely protected.

Yeah, I fully agree. Best solution right now is to invest in the back line so that we can take a bit more risk in midfield. 

1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

Ideally, yes. Can't see a player available on the market right now (that would join us) that can get us that though. Which means we have to make do with what we've got for now. We can get pretty good ball circulation going on if we get in a midfield of Oscar, Fabregas and Kante, providing we sign a competent CB and LB. That's the best solution we can get right now. 

Yes, I agree with all of this.We do need to be looking for that type of player though.

The pieces around Hazard don't fit. While team spirit was excellent it appears we're back to Eden FC again, which puts way too much pressure on Eden to deliver. Oscar was good tracking back but some the passes he made on the offensive end were  shambolic. 

Still need more tiki taka type players to play with Eden.

P.S. Eden and Messi together would break soccer.

5 minutes ago, LukakutoStamford said:

The pieces around Hazard don't fit. While team spirit was excellent it appears we're back to Eden FC again, which puts way too much pressure on Eden to deliver. 

Still need more tiki taka type players to play with Eden.

Exactamente.

Sadly missed the game, but just watched the video,

Costa's late stunner was unbelievable... on that angle... incredible!

Oh Conte's reaction was enjoyable... particularly when he hug the crowds :getin:

3 points is all that matter!

Very satisfying start! Had to listen to the first 75 minutes on the radio before I could watch live. Went back and watched the entire game.

I am surprised by the few who have moaned our play tonight. I really thought we could have and should have won 4-1 or 5-1. Thought we totally bossed them in midfield most of the match.

It was the most aggressive I have seen us in midfield in a long time. Kante's efforts seemed to keep the pressure off the back line. Our aggressiveness was so refreshing after last year watching time and time again as the other team penetrated through balls to open players for easy opportunities.

Hazard looked like himself, in shape and motivated. Matic played much better than last season. Azpilicueta was everywhere at times. Even Ivanovic had an improved game.

I really like the idea of Batshauyi and Costa up top. Both are physical and hard to handle. Even Moses has earned a spot on this club in my opinion, but not the starting XI. Oscar still is a mystery, much like Pedro. Different type of enigma, but both are head scratchers.

The crowd seemed into the game and very loud on the radio broadcast. It was not as apparent on TV.

All in all, a nice night for Chelsea fans everywhere!

Come on you Chelsea!! :blue scalf::blue scalf:

Good game from us IMO. 

The constant complaining from the same people on here is just becoming annoying... Hard to post in here and discuss the game as it is going when certain posters are calling for our whole back 4 and 3 of our front 4 to be sold... I mean, really? I mean seriously... Calling for Costa to be sold? Are you kidding? Like anyone he is going to have a bad day sometimes, but have we watched the same player over these past 4 years? 

I'm hoping we sign Koulibaly already so people can quiet down on here and quit their constant moaning. 

I don't understand about clear cut chances.
You mean you wanted to see some clear cut chances but lost ?
I think there were situations that might have gone in. Iva in the first half - saved, Oscar's pen - not given, Hazard just wide. In the second half Willian - Pedro - Terry's header - Diego's flying effort.

Liking the Conte influence on the team.

Azpilicueta is a beast while attacking! who knew!

Willian was great in the Jose system of defend all the time etc etc. Dont think he will work in Contes system of attacking football. Still good to have in the squad, but for a starter, maybe not.

We were finally attacking again - constantly!

Oscar was great too in his new role.

Ivanovic is still useless.

What I loved was the will to win the ball back, mostly in the opposition half. We tackled them, a lot of times with two men against one of their, and tried to win the ball, which we did so many times. Great to see that.