Fikayo Tomori

Captain Ahmed

8 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Amazing match and his chemistry with Zouma is nice

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Zouma-Tomori was our best pairing last season.

Not sure how AC went ahead of him in the pecking order 

How many lives he has? 

Last season he didn't go on loan only because Luiz decided to leave in the last moment and we had transfer ban. 

Same now. He was practically gone for Everton but it seems that situation changed with Rudiger in the last couple of days so Fik is staying. It makes sense, he can learn so much from Silva. 

4 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

How many lives he has? 

Last season he didn't go on loan only because Luiz decided to leave in the last moment and we had transfer ban. 

Same now. He was practically gone for Everton but it seems that situation changed with Rudiger in the last couple of days so Fik is staying. It makes sense, he can learn so much from Silva. 

He was so good at the start of last season and then it was like snapped out of existence. Surprising how no journalist has asked FL about what exactly happened to Fik

I hope he stays and get a chance to prove himself.

5 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

He was so good at the start of last season and then it was like snapped out of existence. Surprising how no journalist has asked FL about what exactly happened to Fik

I hope he stays and get a chance to prove himself.

I think it was a mix of two things.

1. Mistakes were starting to creep into his game, he wasn't punished but he would have been at some point. Conte overplayed Christensen post Barca and the situation got critical, so I can't be too critical of Lampard for pulling Fik out of the firing line.

2. Him and Rudi looked absolute shite as a partnership and at the time Rudi was undisputed number 1.

During the Brighton pre-match presser, Lampard hinted at Tomori not giving his 100% in training. At least that's how i understand the below.

“There’s nothing specific I want him to improve, all I want him to do is work hard, show the work ethic he’s shown me at Derby and for major parts of last season".

• 2 weeks later...

According to the WHU ITK on twitter, Tomori didn't want to move to West Ham because his conversation with Moyes was not very convincing. Moyes did not sound particularly enthusiastic. He didn't give him game time assurance or guarantees about what would happen to him there, nor did he show any interest about wanting to keep him at the club beyond his loan.

He wasn't a Moyes target to begin with and we had a clause in which they would have to pay us 50k everytime he didn't start for them. It's possible he didnt quite like being pressured into playing him.

• 2 weeks later...
The Telegraph

Wednesday October 21 2020

Matt Law's Chelsea briefing

Matt Law
tmg_spacer.gif

Could Thiago Silva be the ideal partner for promising Fikayo Tomori?

By Matt Law,
Football News Correspondent

It is just over a year since Fikayo Tomori made his England debut against Kosovo following an impressive start to last season, but many Chelsea fans have been left wondering what has become of the intelligent central defender.

Tomori has not started a Premier League game since February and almost joined Everton and West Ham United on loan during the summer transfer window.

The 22-year-old would be riding high at the top of the table as part of Carlo Ancelotti’s Everton side had Antonio Rudiger not fallen out of favour with Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard.

Rudiger’s situation meant that Lampard blocked a season-long loan switch to Everton for Tomori and by the time it became clear the German would not be leaving, the Merseyside club had signed Ben Godfrey instead and a potential move to Fulham was blocked by Ruben Loftus-Cheek’s loan switch to Craven Cottage.

West Ham made a last-minute move for Tomori, but the former Derby County loanee did not want to be rushed into something he was unsure about and West Ham manager David Moyes did not give him any guarantees over playing time.

That has left Tomori on Chelsea’s substitutes’ bench for now, but the way in which Chelsea conceded three goals against Southampton once again raised questions over whether or not he should be given a chance from the start.

This column was written before Chelsea’s Champions League game against Sevilla, but, even accounting for the fact Thiago Silva may be emerging as Lampard’s first-choice defender, there is a case to be made for Tomori.

Statistics do not provide an exact science and it should be pointed out that Opta, who crunched the numbers for this newsletter, could not differentiate between when Lampard has played a back four and switched to a back three.

But it is interesting that, since the start of last season, Tomori has been part of two of Chelsea’s three most successful partnerships, whether it be as part of central two or a three at the back.

4A6F0210FB3CC48547C09B03D0F1B5FC.png

He has only played four games with Rudiger, but Chelsea won three of them, losing once, giving them the club’s best central defensive win percentage of 75 per cent. In terms of goals conceded, the duo score slightly lower together with an average of 1.3 per match.

Tomori has played with Kurt Zouma most regularly (17 times) and, in the same team, the defenders have a win percentage of 58.8 per cent and rate as Chelsea’s second best in terms of goals conceded with 20 working out as average of 1.2 per game.

In his six games with Andreas Christensen, Tomori also has a goals-against ratio of 1.2 per game and that is only bettered by Zouma and Rudiger, who, in 14 games, have only conceded at a rate of one goal per game with a win percentage of 64.3 per cent.

These statistics do not account for the quality of opposition or other in-game factors, but they do suggest that Tomori has every right to feel he deserves another opportunity from the start and that was underlined by his performance as a substitute against Liverpool after Christensen had been sent off.

He also kept a clean sheet on his one and only start with 36-year-old Silva so far, and, while it may have come against Championship club Barnsley in the Carabao Cup, many Chelsea fans would like to take a look at how the pair’s youth and experience might complement each other in the Premier League.

As ever, feel free to get in touch at [email protected].

A Telegraph Sport subscription is only £1 a week, or £40 for 12 months

The week at Chelsea

TELEMMGLPICT000242079900_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Catch up with former Chelsea left-back Graeme Le Saux, now working at Real Mallorca, in this exclusive interview

tmg_spacer.gif
TELEMMGLPICT000242424282_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Sam Dean was impressed with Edouard Mendy and Thiago Silva against Valencia: can the clean sheet be a turning point?

tmg_spacer.gif
229951635_Chelsea-FC_Chelsea-v-Millwall-

European Super League: Sam Wallace on why the English clubs should be wary of an expanded competition

tmg_spacer.gif
TELEMMGLPICT000242184245_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Dissecting Chelsea's defensive record: How much is Kepa's fault and how much blame should Lampard take?

6771F2174526012BBFA8D7A544B2CCAE.png

Football Nerd | Don't miss our regular weekly Premier League newsletter

• 3 weeks later...

Lampard on Tomori...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/06/frank-lampard-says-fikayo-tomori-remains-part-of-his-chelsea-plans

“I think there’s arguments on both sides,” Chelsea’s manager said. “Fikayo is our contracted player. We know that West Ham were interested. Fikayo took the decision not to go and that’s well within his rights. That had no bearing on my thoughts at all. He’s still a developing player.

“When I say developing, he’s had a great two years. He got himself in the England team, was one of the best defenders in the Championship and then played 20-plus games for Chelsea. It’s normal for a young player sometimes, in a squad as competitive as ours, where there are periods where you maybe aren’t playing every week.”

Lampard took Tomori on loan to Derby in the 2018-19 season and gave him plenty of opportunities last season. “I’ve got no problem with Fikayo,” he said. “I rely on him. That’s clear from when I took him to Derby and how I handled him last year. He’s been a fantastic player for me. He trains very well and when he gets his opportunity, like he had when he came on against Liverpool and in the Carabao Cup, it’s important he takes them.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chelsea fans have been giving their reaction to the news emerging over the weekend that Fikayo Tomori could be a January target for Newcastle.

The Northern Echo claims that the Magpies could move for Tomori in January, with Steve Bruce set to utilise the loan market as he looks to strengthen his squad at St James’ Park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Lampard's handling of Tomori is something that hasn't been spoken enough.
Probably because big names like Toni start moaning again when they don't play. I don't think that there is a coincidence when Lampard had his talks with Toni, Tomori suddenly became our 5th choice CB.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

• 1 month later...