Fikayo Tomori

Captain Ahmed

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 7:57 PM, killer1257 said:

I know People don't rate him but he is for me our best defender. Our only real ball playing defender.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

I rate him

I am done worrying about CB's as long as we sell AC and buy Ake

all the other truly WC ones are not coming here more than likely and there is a shot that one of Ake, Tomori (most likely), or even Ampadu (also may happen at DMF, who can really know, but I really think we go for Declan Rice there in 2021) becomes world class and Rudiger gets even closer, Zouma is Zouma and is more than likely going nowhere

we do desperately need a another winger, a CF, and a LB though, if we literally do nothing at all 3 positions we will end up next season in a bad bad place, there is no way Bats is capable of being our backup, the LB's are a going to still be a huge weak spot barring an odd great game here and there and there is no way we can roll with only Pulisic and a 32yo Willian as our wingers (CHO is not a true option atm due to his horrid injury after-eefects, hopefully that changes)

if we miss out on all 3 of  Sancho, Chilwell and Werner I am going to crushed

and the odds are against us for all 3

and other than Telles there is no LB who is remotely worth what we would pay for them IF we miss out on Chilwell

there are other (worse but not horrid) options if we miss out on Werner

and we all know that if we miss out on Sancho, Zaha is on the way in (and will have INSANE pressure on him for £80m quid, even more than Sancho would at £100-120m or so as Zaha is 28yo next season and time is not on his side to come good, like it is on the teenagers CHO, Sancho, and the just turned 21yo Pulisic)

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2019 at 7:57 PM, killer1257 said:

I know People don't rate him but he is for me our best defender. Our only real ball playing defender.

I don't know, today Forest players marked our midfielders very well and gave all the time and space in the world to Tomori and Christensen to create something, they didn't do anything full match. 

• 3 weeks later...

Love Island star Amber Gill sends fans wild as she leaves flirty comment on Chelsea footballer Fikayo Tomori's Instagram snap... after he liked her racy bikini photo

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7943417/Amber-Gill-leaves-flirty-comment-Chelsea-footballer-Fikayo-Tomoris-Instagram.html

Love Island's Amber Gill and Chelsea footballer Fikayo Tomori have been flirting on social media.

The stunning reality star, 22, left a racy comment under a smouldering shot of Fikayo, 22, posted on Tuesday.

The comment follows a 'like' from the Chelsea player for one of Amber's recent sizzling bikini shots.

Coupling up? Love Island's Amber Gill and Chelsea footballer Fikayo Tomori have been flirting on social media, liking each other's snaps and posting cheeky commentsCheeky: The stunning reality star left a racy comment under a smouldering shot of Fikayo, which he posted on Tuesday, prompting a cheeky reply

On 1/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, Vesper said:

Love Island star Amber Gill sends fans wild as she leaves flirty comment on Chelsea footballer Fikayo Tomori's Instagram snap... after he liked her racy bikini photo

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7943417/Amber-Gill-leaves-flirty-comment-Chelsea-footballer-Fikayo-Tomoris-Instagram.html

Love Island's Amber Gill and Chelsea footballer Fikayo Tomori have been flirting on social media.

The stunning reality star, 22, left a racy comment under a smouldering shot of Fikayo, 22, posted on Tuesday.

The comment follows a 'like' from the Chelsea player for one of Amber's recent sizzling bikini shots.

Coupling up? Love Island's Amber Gill and Chelsea footballer Fikayo Tomori have been flirting on social media, liking each other's snaps and posting cheeky commentsCheeky: The stunning reality star left a racy comment under a smouldering shot of Fikayo, which he posted on Tuesday, prompting a cheeky reply

I wish I was a footballer :(

update

Love Island's Amber Gill 'dating' England and Chelsea footballer Fikayo Tomori

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/love-islands-amber-gill-dating-21398189

Love Island winner Amber Gill has reportedly coupled up with an England footballer.

It's said that the Geordie beauty, who won the show last year alongside now-ex boyfriend Greg O'Shea, has been on a string of dates with Chelsea and England footballer Fikayo Tomori.

The pair had already been linked earlier this week thanks to a suggestive comment Amber left on one of his Instagram posts.

But now it's said that their romance is much more than just a bit of online flirting.

A source close to Amber told The Sun: "They’ve been on two dates in as many weeks in London.

snip

• 4 weeks later...

What has happened to Fikayo Tomori?

https://theathletic.com/1639869/2020/02/28/tomori-fiyako-chelsea/?source=shared-article

As each week passes, more and more Chelsea fans are asking the above question.

This is the central defender who was rewarded for a series of fine performances with a new five-year contract just two months ago and was being talked about as arguably the most outstanding of all the academy graduates to be promoted to the first team this season.

Indeed, back in September Chelsea coach Frank Lampard couldn’t speak more highly of Tomori. “A lot of people would have seen him [Tomori] as number four (in the pecking order of centre backs at the club), he’s now number one or two as it stands.”

But Tomori, who made his senior England debut in November against Kosovo, has barely been seen in 2020. The 22-year-old has not played a single minute in the Premier League and suffered the ignominy of not even being on the bench against Tottenham last weekend or in the 3-0 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

No-one would be voicing their concerns if Chelsea were winning on a regular basis while keeping clean sheet after clean sheet. But their form in England’s top division following Tomori’s omission reads won two, drawn three and lost two, with Burnley the only opponents not to find the net.

The only opportunity Tomori has had to impress since the turn of the year has come in the FA Cup ties against Championship clubs Nottingham Forest and Hull.

Considering this is a young man who stood out in some of Chelsea’s finest wins this season — the 5-2 victory at Wolves, the 1-0 triumph in Amsterdam against Ajax and the 2-0 success over Spurs away from home — it is some fall from grace.

Inevitably, there are people speculating what the possible reasons are and whether something untoward has happened behind the scenes.

Multiple sources have told The Athletic though that nothing of the kind has taken place. There has been no big altercation, exchange of words, no breaking of rules regarding going out or being late for training. Tomori isn’t that kind of character as his pursuit of a business degree, as first revealed here, demonstrates.

There was no sign of complacency setting in when Chelsea decided to give Tomori a new deal and a hefty pay-rise in December either. As he said after agreeing terms: “He (Lampard) is telling me I have to keep on working hard, keep on maintaining my standards and raise the levels I set for myself. It’s a big step, a lot more people are watching. There is a  lot more scrutiny, a lot more praise. On the pitch, a lot more focus is needed. One split second and you can be punished.”

Nor can his absence be put down to a niggling injury. It is just a simple case of team selection and at present coach Frank Lampard prefers Andreas Christensen and Antonio Rudiger at centre back.

Things can soon change of course. Tomori wasn’t in the first XI at the beginning of the campaign and due to the manner of the loss to Bayern Munich, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the line-up is altered for the Premier League contest at Bournemouth on Saturday or the huge FA Cup fifth-round match with Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night. However, there must still be reasons for why the England international fell out of favour in the first place.

As 2019 was drawing to a close, it was noticeable that he was making a few more mistakes, particularly in possession. Being trusted to play in the Champions League group stage, as well as the Premier League on the weekend, meant an extra strain physically and there is a suggestion in some quarters that tiredness was a factor. After playing four successive games in Europe, he was left on the bench in Valencia and sat out the final group fixture at home to Lille with a minor hip problem.

Yet Lampard has been concerned from the outset about Chelsea’s struggle to defend balls in the air and statistics show that of the four centre backs at his disposal, it is an area of the game which is perhaps Tomori’s weakest.

When it comes to winning aerial battles in the Premier League Kurt Zouma has a record of 75.7 per cent, Rudiger 58.3, Christensen 57.7, and Tomori 55.

The list of headed clearances shows a similar theme. Tomori has achieved the fewest with 15 despite playing two more games than Rudiger (19 clearances), Christensen is next on 21 and Zouma is well clear on 46.

One source highlighted how in his last appearance in England’s top division against Arsenal, Tomori was outjumped by Calum Chambers at the near post and the ball was flicked on for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to score. Significantly he was replaced before the hour mark and Chelsea went on to win.

But there are so many other stats which show Tomori in a positive light compared to his rivals for the position.

The former Derby and Hull loanee has the second-highest amount of recoveries (91), interceptions (21), passing accuracy (87.17 per cent), touches (1,266) and blocks (7) between the four centre backs. He is second only to Christensen for tackles (28 to the Dane’s 29) and helped keep the most clean sheets (4).

But rather than being punished for not performing well enough or failing tactically, perhaps it was inevitable his run in the side would come to an end. Many of his appearances came when Rudiger and Christensen weren’t available due to injury.

There is also the argument that he is just an unfortunate victim of Lampard’s desire to promote Reece James at right-back in recent months. It is understandable why the Chelsea coach may have reservations about having two youngsters in defence and wants to lean on the greater experience of Rudiger and Christensen in the middle.

And when it comes to leaving him out of the matchday squad altogether, it is normal for a manager to have only one centre back as a substitute and save the rest for more advanced positions. Zouma’s greater physicality has earned the spot in this instance.

So how has Tomori reacted to the setback up till now? The Athletic has been told by sources the club that he is still training as well as ever and while naturally disappointed, hasn’t shown a negative reaction.

As he first revealed in an interview with Chelsea TV he still turns to Zouma, one of his closest friends at the club, for help and advice on how to cope and improve.

Tomori values the thoughts of Zouma, who has also found himself suddenly out of favour after being a regular under Lampard, because he has experienced many highs and lows since joining Chelsea from Saint Etienne in 2014.

Yet he is mature for his age anyway. After being named man-of-the-match in the 2-1 victory against Hull City in January, Tomori said: “At a club like Chelsea, there’s competition for places everywhere. You have to be on top of your game and then the manager has to make decisions.

“He (Lampard) has chosen to leave me out for some games. I have to respect his decision and try and work hard on the training pitch so when my chance comes, I can hopefully take it.”

Time is of the essence. The way he was playing before Christmas, there was credible talk that he could be a part of England’s squad at Euro 2020 this summer.

The manner in which he marked Mohamed Salah out of the game, albeit in a 2-1 defeat against Liverpool last September, showed the incredible potential and ability to play at the highest level. But England’s head coach Gareth Southgate won’t select him in the current circumstances.

Right now though, just getting back in the Chelsea team is the main priority. With Chelsea struggling for consistency, surely it won’t be long before Tomori gets his wish.