Tammy Abraham

Captain Ahmed

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

If he doesn't want to fight for his spot, then it says a lot more about him than us. 

It most def does......what the fuck can he be waiting for, this is the break you were dreaming about. Go out there and grab your destiny with both hands no matter whom comes in.

On 04/06/2020 at 7:18 PM, Jason said:

If he doesn't want to fight for his spot, then it says a lot more about him than us. 

Partly but I do think that the financial side of it cannot be easily ignored either, as I would reckon its more the issue than playing time or another CF coming in. He wants to match Callums wages and for someone who has 13 PL goals in basically his debut season of playing regularly for the club, he has every right considering how the club bowed to a player who played maybe 10 or 15 games and got the 120k that goes to 180k with add ons and almost gave him the number 10 shirt after that was apparently askes for included in negotiations. I mean this wont be the first time we see player X wants to earn closer/same as CHO in the next few years I reckon. We panicked because of Bayern Munichs interest and caved and for me the jury is still out as to whether this season he has done anything of note bar a few wee spells in a couple of games and the Newcastle one. Personally think he did more under Sarri.

Chelsea want Abraham and Werner in same XI. But No 9 won’t rush to sign new deal

https://theathletic.com/1858515/2020/06/08/abraham-werner-tammy-timo-chelsea-lampard/

abraham-werner-tammy-timo-chelsea-lampard-scaled-e1591532970392-1024x683.jpg

In the summer of 2003, Frank Lampard made a decision that would define his career. He reported to Harlington for Chelsea pre-season training and watched as, one headline-grabbing deal after another, new owner Roman Abramovich’s unprecedented transfer spree transformed the squad before his eyes.

Most worrying for Lampard were the arrivals of Joe Cole from West Ham, Juan Sebastian Veron from Manchester United and Claude Makelele from Real Madrid. Competition for places in Claudio Ranieri’s midfield was ramped up within the space of a few wild weeks, and expectations of what Chelsea could achieve on the pitch grew sky high.

“I thought about the situation and decided that I had two choices: I could leave Chelsea or I could become a better footballer,” Lampard later recalled in his 2006 autobiography. “I decided to become a better footballer.” He finished the 2003-04 Premier League season with 10 goals from midfield for the first time in his career — a taste of what was to follow.

The challenge presented to Tammy Abraham by Chelsea’s impressive move for RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner is not quite the same. Abramovich has bought only one new potential rival, albeit one with formidable pedigree; 25 goals in 30 Bundesliga appearances this season marks the Germany international out as one of the most talented and dangerous attackers anywhere in Europe.

But it is a transfer that invites questions about how Chelsea view Abraham within their broader plans. Their decision to spend up to €60 million on a new attacker has raised a few eyebrows — not just because few other clubs are prepared to commit to such large deals during the pandemic, but also because they already have a striker who the numbers show has scored at a similar rate this season to a 22-year-old Harry Kane.

Sources have told The Athletic that there were no specific conversations with Abraham about Chelsea’s decision to move for Werner before the deal was agreed and then leaked into the public domain. Lampard and his staff will, however, be watching their No 9 closely during training in the coming days and weeks to see how he reacts to the news.

The feeling around Chelsea is that it will be good for Abraham to feel pushed. That is the way it should be at clubs with the greatest resources and grandest aspirations. His idol, Didier Drogba, forged a large part of his Stamford Bridge legacy on devouring other strikers brought in at great expense: hitting 20 Premier League goals in a season for the first time after Andriy Shevchenko’s arrival, then responding to the arrival of Fernando Torres by delivering the Champions League.

Abraham has shown plenty of this kind of determination in his career to date, proving himself as a prolific goalscorer during loans at Bristol City and Aston Villa either side of a deeply frustrating spell at Swansea City that might have derailed a young striker with less self-belief. This season he has done enough to put to rest any doubts about his ability to punish Premier League defences.

Lampard still considers Abraham central to the Chelsea team he is building. He wants his No 9 to be the focal point for the attack, just as adept holding up the ball with his back to goal and linking play as he is leading the team press and running in behind opposition defences. Abraham has shown hugely promising signs since last summer of being able to combine the best parts of Olivier Giroud’s game with his own greater speed and mobility.

There is a reason why the forwards Chelsea have looked closest at over the past six months — Dries Mertens, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Werner — all happen to be converted wingers. They fit the profile of proven goalscorers who can just as easily play with Abraham as instead of him, as second strikers or left wingers encouraged to attack the penalty area at every opportunity.

Werner’s tactical role for RB Leipzig has shifted this season, with Julian Nagelsmann often deploying him in front of the opposition defence more as a left-sided inside forward than a conventional on-the-shoulder striker. It has helped him become a more complete attacking threat, learning how best to exploit deep-lying opponents by drifting intelligently between the defensive lines, as well as using his explosive speed and acceleration to carve them open in transition.

Along the way he has built an easy chemistry with Yussuf Poulsen, the 6ft 4in Denmark international who provides RB Leipzig with a more traditional focal point. It isn’t hard to imagine Werner and Abraham interacting in similar ways for Chelsea next season. If they do it could actually be Christian Pulisic, who began to flourish as Lampard’s secondary scoring threat from the left before missing three months with a groin injury, who faces the bigger fight to keep his starting spot.

There will likely need to be a rebalancing of Chelsea’s attack whatever happens. Werner has averaged 4.1 shot attempts per 90 minutes in the Bundesliga this season, second only to Robert Lewandowski and more than Mohamed Salah (3.9) averages for Liverpool. Poulsen averages 2.4 shot attempts per 90 minutes — the same as Giroud in the Premier League this season — underlining his role as more of a facilitator than a true threat.

Abraham averages 3.4 shot attempts per 90 minutes, ranking him fifth in the Premier League among regular starters. Playing with Pulisic this season has given him a taste of what to expect if paired with Werner; the USA international has managed to average 3.3 shot attempts per 90 minutes without either of them feeling sidelined within Chelsea’s attack. Regardless of which combination he picks, Lampard will expect his forwards to figure it out on the pitch to the benefit of the team.

The complicating factor in all of this is the unresolved state of Abraham’s contract talks. He has two years left to run on his current deal. His scoring form has done much this season to strengthen his negotiating position, though apparently not quite enough yet to convince Chelsea that he is worth a package comparable with Callum Hudson-Odoi’s £120,000-a-week basic salary.

Werner’s deal, which sources have told The Athletic is likely to rise to around £170,000-a-week plus bonuses, could well establish a new benchmark for Abraham’s camp. Lampard is understood to remain confident that Chelsea will convince their No 9 to commit his long-term future to the club, but it is fair to say that the process has already taken longer than most anticipated.

Those around Abraham say he is keeping an open mind about Werner’s arrival. He always expected Chelsea to sign a new attacker in this transfer window, and he will back himself to win any battle to be Lampard’s starting striker. Don’t be surprised, however, if he decides to wait until he has a better idea of what the new arrival will mean for his game time before revisiting the contract question.

Recent history shows Abraham the path Chelsea would like him to take. Lampard used the Abramovich revolution to drive himself to become arguably the greatest player in the club’s history. As well as seeing off Shevchenko and Torres, Drogba formed a prolific partnership with Nicolas Anelka which helped Carlo Ancelotti win an historic Double in 2009-10.

Whether he becomes a rival, a running mate or a combination of the two, Werner could be exactly what Abraham needs to take his game to the next level. What happens next is up to him.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Johnnyeye said:

Now that Werner has signed, we will see what Abraham is really about, lets see if he is willing to push himself to the next level.

Reckon the new man is No 1 striker (prob a bit of the contract we don't get to see) and as you say will gee up Abraham. Exciting times ahead....

19 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Reckon the new man is No 1 striker (prob a bit of the contract we don't get to see) and as you say will gee up Abraham. Exciting times ahead....

its shaping up to be a great transfer window, we already secured Werner and Ziyech, with maybe 2 more signings still to be done, exciting times indeed bro :) 

53 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

This kind of suggest Timo will play as a striker.

This is what Lampard said in full...

https://www.goal.com/en/news/lampard-explains-how-chelsea-won-race-for-475m-werner/eukkia73njal134ndjllf1a81

Lampard also explained how he has discussed the need for competition for places with Tammy Abraham, who has impressed in his breakthrough campaign and currently sits at the top of the club's scoring charts.

He said: "Yes, I have spoken to Tammy before on the idea of competition and I don’t feel the need to have to address every player after one comes in at a club like Chelsea because that’s what it is about.

"It has been about that in its most successful years in recent years in the Roman Abramovich era mainly. Tammy has had a really good season for us and he has to sustain and improve on that because at Chelsea we have demands.

"I am happy to have options and we have options in forward areas and we must have competition for places. I am pleased with the idea of that."

The less said about this guy the better. I really hope we put everything we got into getting Havertz and this guy doesn't get the contract. Hopefully sold to Everton or some midtable team.

11 minutes ago, Judy said:

The less said about this guy the better. I really hope we put everything we got into getting Havertz and this guy doesn't get the contract. Hopefully sold to Everton or some midtable team.

…… him coming us helped us big time. He was the reason Fernadinho got sent off.

…… him coming us helped us big time. He was the reason Fernadinho got sent off.

Tammy is one of the most hated players at Chelsea .

He had a big impact and did way more than Giroud, which was obvious because we were counter attacking. He also was the reason why Fernandinho got red and he won us a penalty. I would say that he was immense today. His pace also helped us so much

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

I think Tammy is a capable striker, but not convinced he can be a main striker. Strikes me as one who could be like Dzeko from his City days. Decent striker, but not good enough to be the main and sole striker at the club. 
If he was able to get anywhere near as many goals as Dzeko got, we'd be lucky.

Will be interesting to see where Werner lines up next season in that regard.

4 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

If he was able to get anywhere near as many goals as Dzeko got, we'd be lucky.

Will be interesting to see where Werner lines up next season in that regard.

Dzeko best league goal scoring season was when he scored 16 goals in 1990 minutes, Tammy this season has 13 in 1983 minutes. I would think Tammy best years are ahead of him, and currently more or less matching Dzeko outputs.

My point is Dzeko was not sufficient to be a main and lone striker at City, similarity how i feel about Tammy. 

5 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Dzeko best league goal scoring season was when he scored 16 goals in 1990 minutes, Tammy this season has 13 in 1983 minutes. I would think Tammy best years are ahead of him, and currently more or less matching Dzeko outputs.

My point is Dzeko was not sufficient to be a main and lone striker at City, similarity how i feel about Tammy. 

unless you are only talking EPl, you are way off

league goals

2008–09    Bundesliga    32    26   
2009–10    Bundesliga    34    22

2016–17    Serie A          37    29