Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Alvaro Morata

Followers 2

13 hours ago, Pizy said:

Speaking of Douglas Costa, if the rumors are true about Bayern going all out for Alexis maybe we should try to get him. Or Müller who doesn't appear to be first choice for them any longer.

No way Muller will leave Bayern and even if he's available, I don't see exactly what he will add to this team.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, The Skipper said:

My problem with Morata is that nothing in his skill set is exceptional. 

Not to mention his lack of personality. Morata is the type to go with the flow. If the team plays well, he plays well. If the team doesn't play well, he doesn't play well and becomes quite anonymous. He won't 'win' you games and carry the team when in trouble.

One of the reasons so many strikers flopped or disappointed for Chelsea is because the service for the strikers isn't the best. Quality attacking play has never been Chelsea's strength. Not on a consistent basis. And Chelsea have often been defensive in big games. This leads to the man up top having to fend for himself quite often and needing to produce individual moments of brilliance. We all know Drogba revelled in this role. Costa has delivered big time on more than a couple of occasions as well. It says a lot how we, as fans, don't even expect the #1 goal-scorer to score 30+ goals per season (in all competitions) even though all top teams possess at least one such player.

Being Chelsea's top dog up top is a very tough job. You need a certain spirit and swagger to truly succeed (you know who would be absolutely perfect for Chelsea, Luis Suarez). Granted, Conte's Chelsea is a bit different, but he's still a manager who relies on defensive solidity above all.

I do prefer Morata over Lukaku though. Lukaku scores his goals but his overall game hurts the collective strength of the team. Surround Morata with top quality and he'll do a fine job. That's how I see it anyway. But I have strong doubts about his potential. A good striker? Sure. A world-class striker? I don't think so.

(I also find his technique to be overrated. Some make him sound like prime Van Persie or Ibrahimovic. Don't see it all.)

For whatever it is the Madrid fans I know are convinced that Morata will play for Conte next season. Believing he has one foot out of the door and his girlfriend already relocated to London.

They seem confident but I am not sure, I am skeptical of such certainty in the transfers market.

8 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

For whatever it is the Madrid fans I know are convinced that Morata will play for Conte next season. Believing he has one foot out of the door and his girlfriend already relocated to London.

They seem confident but I am not sure, I am skeptical of such certainty in the transfers market.

He has outright stated that he's not happy with his playing time and it's not going to change anytime soon so they are probaly right :)

now we just wait for belotti news, lukaku can f*ck off to MU, he doesn't bother to help his team with defending and pressing duties :D 

To be honest even at Juventus he was hugely inconsistent (think a few CL goals made everyone think he was this genuine top player) and has been the same at Real. Honestly would be a mistake to sign him to replace Costa I think. If he was an alternative to Costa from the bench maybe but like I said in another thread is he really good enough to push Costa and create healthy competition with him? Like Batshuayi, I don't think so.

Coming from a Madrid fan, Morata is not considered by Madrid fans as anything special. We would never realistically consider him as a starter, only as a sub, but since the BBC is politically placed to play most games by Perez and since Zidane doesn't seem to like Morata all that much anyways, he's been noticeably ostracized. There's also the fact that Isco, Asensio, Kovacic, and Lucas are better options for multiple reasons as super subs and alternatives, so it's not that he doesn't play because he's terrible, it's not that.

The belief going around is that the end of a cycle is coming at Madrid, BBC is coming to an end, Benzema's expiration date is here, he's turned sour, Bale is a fabricated myth that's often injured, and Mbappe is the future; James and Morata would then be used to collect 100 million euros or near that range that would be used in Mbappe operation (Mbappe is a Madridista and CR7 fan). Mbappe would be played as LF or CF interchangeably with Ronaldo while Benzema sits in the bench as a super sub, and Mbappe would probably have Galactico political privileges in the squad.

Back to Morata, the good thing is that he is a hard worker, he will help defend, press, etc, he has an aerial presence, has great straight line speed, and will feel he has something to prove once he leaves Madrid permanently, once he gets playing to his maximum abilities he should be alright at the very least. Not elite but good. He is a bit stiff like a tree trunk though, so don't expect great agility when surrounded, or great ability to dribble himself out of problems. He can also pass and shoot quite well enough, but he's not particularly nimble or technically gifted. Adequate player if surrounded by a good team.

Looking at current market situation, should cost Chelsea anywhere from 45ish to 55 million euros.

2 minutes ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

We need to get a massive poll/thread going once the season is over..

Lukaku or Morata. 

Griezmann>Lukaku&Morata

10 minutes ago, Liuxas said:

Griezmann>Lukaku&Morata

Well, the club hasn't been linked to Groezmann at all. 

I think it's pretty clear either Lukaku or Morata are the club's main targets to Replace Costa. 

3 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Lukaku or Morata. 

Costa to stay :ph34r:

37 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Costa to stay :ph34r:

Nah fam.. pictures already out there of Costa/Mendes/Chinese Reps having lunch/diner.. 

It's a wrap, as far as im concerned. 

Can morata play as lone striker? I remember he is playing next to tevez in Juve and he barely play any game with real. How about with Spain? How did he perform? 

I personally want a striker that provide similar quality to Costa. Be physical, press their back line and make selfless channel run but with better touch. I don't want us to play 3 small guy up top. It is going to be poor man  MSN

11 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Lukaku or Morata. 

IMO, for this team and Conte's system, Lukaku is a much better fit because he has so much more of a presence than Morata. It's almost like for like swap with Costa. Lukaku would've scored a hattrick at least vs. Boro yesterday.

5 hours ago, The Skipper said:

IMO, for this team and Conte's system, Lukaku is a much better fit because he has so much more of a presence than Morata. It's almost like for like swap with Costa. Lukaku would've scored a hattrick at least vs. Boro yesterday.

I actually agree.. and you know that's coming from a guy with a massive Lukaku Agenda. 

13 hours ago, The Skipper said:

But Morata has performed against every top team he played against. While Lukaku is invisible against every better opponent. 

Lukaku is tailor made to destroy bottom half teams of PL, but top teams and CL is where Morata proved to be more useful. 

The problem with these strikers we are linked with is everyone has one major weakness. 

I would gladly pay 80m for striker if I knew he is the real deal. Or small fee if there is quite a risk. But everyone we are linked from Lukaku, Belotti to Morata would cost above 60m and neither is the real deal.

And I bet my ass our next season, striker will prove the difference. Average striker and we are done, good striker and we can win anything. I think its quite obvious we NEED top striker.

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

But Morata has performed against every top team he played against. While Lukaku is invisible against every better opponent. 

Lukaku is tailor made to destroy bottom half teams of PL, but top teams and CL is where Morata proved to be more useful. 

The problem with these strikers we are linked with is everyone has one major weakness. 

I would gladly pay 80m for striker if I knew he is the real deal. Or small fee if there is quite a risk. But everyone we are linked from Lukaku, Belotti to Morata would cost above 60m and neither is the real deal.

And I bet my ass our next season, striker will prove the difference. Average striker and we are done, good striker and we can win anything. I think its quite obvious we NEED top striker.

Morata played for Juventus and Real - teams with real quality. Lukaku in the mean time has played for West Brom and Everton. The difference is basically one plays with quality team mates, the other doesn't. 

Lukaku hasn't been tested in the CL so you can't say for sure that he won't have Morata's impact either. 

Morata genuinely reminds me of like a Negredo or Soldado. Decent striker, nothing more. If we're going to pay £50/60m for a striker, I'd rather see it go to Lukaku tbh. Morata will never truly be worth that money - he's peaked as a player already, he won't improve much. What is there to improve on? He's already a well rounded player, but doesn't offer anything exceptional whatsoever. 

Lukaku has some unique traits about him at the very least, and is also in my opinion a much better presence than Morata. When both are on form, Lukaku is a much bigger threat, because he has a unique skill set that can trouble even the best of defenders. Morata does not possess anything unique. Genuinely think he's just another Soldado. 

11 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

I actually agree.. and you know that's coming from a guy with a massive Lukaku Agenda. 

I used to have a Lukaku agenda too so I feel exactly where you're coming from. 

3 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Morata played for Juventus and Real - teams with real quality. Lukaku in the mean time has played for West Brom and Everton. The difference is basically one plays with quality team mates, the other doesn't. 

Lukaku hasn't been tested in the CL so you can't say for sure that he won't have Morata's impact either. 

Morata genuinely reminds me of like a Negredo or Soldado. Decent striker, nothing more. If we're going to pay £50/60m for a striker, I'd rather see it go to Lukaku tbh. Morata will never truly be worth that money - he's peaked as a player already, he won't improve much. What is there to improve on? He's already a well rounded player, but doesn't offer anything exceptional whatsoever. 

Lukaku has some unique traits about him at the very least, and is also in my opinion a much better presence than Morata. When both are on form, Lukaku is a much bigger threat, because he has a unique skill set that can trouble even the best of defenders. Morata does not possess anything unique. Genuinely think he's just another Soldado. 

To me from what I seen, Lukaku is alot more Negredo than Morata is. Scores shitload of goals, but doesnt have what it takes to make step forward. Lukaku got 3 years of regular football and tbh he only added even more goals to his game. Yeah he is striker, its what he must do, but his overall and mentality hasnt changed much. 

Morata is very good player in general. Maybe doesnt score that much, but his play is realy good for striker. He is still relatively young and with regular playtime he can improve his finishing. 

I start to believe Lukaku could be hit here only to then see a match against better opponent like Pool or Chelsea and see he is still very very poor. And it has nothing to do with squad. Dybala was playing for Palermo and he played well. We cant have another striker that is average on ball and needs all the service. In that case I rather stick with Diego who is at least consistent regardless of opponent. 

I dont think Morata is perfect striker either. Lukaku is better finisher and more consistent,  Morata is better technician and more intelligent. We would need someone who is a mix of both. 

If we buy Morata there might be a problem of goals, but his link up and hard work wont be a problem. Meanwhile with Lukaku, he offers goals and goals only. And even then not against top oposition.  

Hopefuly Conte makes right decision.