The Conte Thread

I think this one will last. I'm happy he's coming.

It's time for change at Chelsea FC. I think the intentions were there with Mourinho coming back, but the squad wasn't good enough back-to-front and Mourinho was arguably not cut out for managing a club that desires to play for more than just the immediate and wishes to play some high tempo passing build-up play.

Conte will get some signings, but I'm hoping that, like a good italian, he'll be building from the back and the middle of the park with his selections. Personally, it doesn't bother me that the manager may have limited control over signings at Chelsea; the main thing is that we get more quality and depth from back, to middle, to front.

why the hell Oscar and Mikel might last any longer in London is beyond me... but I'm hopeful.

Welcome, Antonio!

20 minutes ago, Spike said:

Cap this post.

Conte will keep Terry. Because after all the fat is trimmed, Chelsea will still need a leader with passion and experience and JT is the only man fit for the job.

As angry as I was when we initially heard about JT potentially leaving, the more I've thought about it and how Conte needs his defenders to play I'm just not sure he fits. That is unless we play in a 4-3-3 or stick with the same tired 4-2-3-1 we've been playing.

If we shield him from midfield with a couple of beats then it could work I guess. Keeping him would also mean there's no top class CB signing, right? Unless Conte has the balls to keep him or Ivanovic on the bench for the majority of the time.

Out by Christmas, due to 'palpable dischord' but it'll be the fault of the individual.

Not the fifty agents buzzing in Roman's ear, not the chancers on the board he employs to run the club, not the 100 odd players we've got on our books or anyone else, definitely not

Time to move on....

Conte could be a special one perhaps you know take a championship winning team into relegation fodder in a matter of months. Or like another Italian manager take a team who just survived relegation and is full of rejects and journeyman and turn them into almost definite champions without spending a fortune and alienating and pissing everyone off he comes in contact with.

21 minutes ago, kmk108 said:

If calling him "head coach" isn't just a matter of semantics, I can see this blowing up very quickly. He seems like the kind of guy that wants to make the big decisions, and if he's got the board poking around his office the entire time, I can see this getting ugly fast.

This club needs to realize that what's happened this season isn't down to the manager alone. It's on everyone at the club.

Wenger is the last of a dying breed of manager's having full control romance, it just simply doesn't happen anywhere anymore.

I just hope he does well. The fact that emenalo is still around makes me fear for Conte´s job. Regardless of what might happen, welcome to the greatest clun in london! Here´s for the titles that many of us hope you´ll bring along! Let the party start:drunk:

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Wenger is the last of a dying breed of manager's having full control romance, it just simply doesn't happen anywhere anymore.

Maybe I'm wrong and he'll be given more control than I'm imagining. I'm not against higher ups with knowledge of the game (not just interest in big star shirt sales and interest) making decisions, but if Conte has players he wants, they should be a priority. A competent board with a good vision is ideal, but I'll take any step up from what we've got going on now. The board need to look internally instead of externally when considering the future. Conte will come in and create a philosophy on the pitch, but that has to be supported by the decisions made by the board in order for it to be successful.