The Conte Thread

12 minutes ago, manpe said:

You know, I am actually glad he hasn't been sacked mid-season. It's a clear change of mentality from the club, he would have been sacked months ago some years prior. We have been crying out for the board to show patience with underachieving managers for some time, and they have done so with both Jose and Antonio. Jose of course was sacked, but there was no alternative, he was held on longer than we all thought he would be after being shit from the start. The reason may of course be monetary, but still, I like the way the club are putting more faith into managers now while more and more stories are popping up of them holding players accountable for failures, which they hadn't done before.

Whatever happened this seaseon happened, but I will still remember him fondly. He wasn't faultless of course, but the ultimate blame lies with the board's transfer strategy and I've been saying this from the start of the season, that if we do fail the penny drops at the board. Conte's first season here was exciting and refreshing - it rejuvenated my love for watching Chelsea when I'd become sick and tired of it from the shitcreek season before. I simply cannot hate the guy and I'm glad we had him, but the failure this season was mutual.

I think the mentality with managers has always been there. Carlo lasted the season despite a catastrophic title defense and they clung onto AVB and Jose longer than nessesery. I would rather the manager's get fired once it's clear somethings not working as opposed to the United model of giving managers even more extended time for some romantic idea of stability.

As for Conte, he may not have been dealt the best hand, but whatever the board did or didn't do can't excuse 3 wins in nearly 4 months alongside some horrific tactical blunders.

On 10.5.2018 at 0:10 PM, Superblue_1986 said:

Whilst I agree that it wasn't the time to make so many changes to the starting XI, it also puts into perspective just how poor the overall quality within our squad is that we can't make a few changes and beat Huddersfield at home.

Zappacosta, Pedro, Willian and Morata were brought into the side - that is about £150m we've spent to bring these players to the club. 

I agree with the consensus that Conte's era has run its course but changing the manager is just the tip of the iceberg at the moment.

Yeah ofc it shows the overall quality of the squad, Conte made that abundantly clear with that selection. But no matter the quality of the team, who leaves out his best player in an all important match in which there is no need to rest? Also Emerson and Cahill might have been much better selections given without them we pose no aerial threat or penetration from the left. Conte's continuedly bad selection has deflated the whole season. 

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Carlo lasted the season despite a catastrophic title defense

We finished 2nd, that's literally just 1 place below champions. If that was "catastrophic", then how would you categorize Jose's title defence?

13 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yeah ofc it shows the overall quality of the squad, Conte made that abundantly clear with that selection. But no matter the quality of the team, who leaves out his best player in an all important match in which there is no need to rest? Also Emerson and Cahill might have been much better selections given without them we pose no aerial threat or penetration from the left. Conte's continuedly bad selection has deflated the whole season. 

Poor Emerson. Played well for 3 straight games, got dropped back to the bench and then not included in matchday squad. 

2 hours ago, pHaRaOn said:

A press trying too hard to create another conflict between Conte and Jose before FA Cup final.

Putting that aside, it's really BS from Conte though. Yes, finishing 5th is obviously better than 10th but he's made it like some sort of achievement to finish higher than Mourinho in 15/16. Plus, he talked about the creating foundation at the club. Has he really achieved that? We have so many uncertainties going into next season. 

12 minutes ago, manpe said:

We finished 2nd, that's literally just 1 place below champions. If that was "catastrophic", then how would you categorize Jose's title defence?

An unprecedented all time collapse.

After calming down I have to say that I still want him to continue next season. 

I really want us to change our trend of sacking so easily and despite all the shenanigans with Conte this season he is still good enough for me. 

I hope he at least finish his contract. 

3 years would be a good time. 

12 minutes ago, Fernando said:

I really want us to change our trend of sacking so easily and despite all the shenanigans with Conte this season he is still good enough for me. 

And miss out on Sarri? I could not condone this action if it were to happen. I reckon Sarri is off this summer and I want him to be here for the next campaign. 

18 minutes ago, Fernando said:

There's a fine line between stability and stability for the sake of it, look at Arsenal and to an extent United (Moyes and LVG should have gone months before they did).

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

There's a fine line between stability and stability for the sake of it, look at Arsenal and to an extent United (Moyes and LVG should have gone months before they did).

I think you have to look at the context. 

For the money they spend and the way they played it was not good. 

For Conte and Chelsea the last two seasons has not been bad, giving how woeful we been in the transfer market. 

Peeps are talking like they know for certain what is going to happen in a week or so's time.

Nobody knows if the Don is offski. And IF he is nobody has said Sarri is def coming have they? We was linked with Allegri for far longer than Sarri.

Peeps have such short memories tho. This time last season Conte couldn't put a foot wrong afte us playing some of the best football I have seen us play. Now we have interweb lynch mobs after him.

The players this season have failed too. By rights the teams thats been selected have more than been capable of inning the games they were chosen for. And whether thru shit luck or playing like shit they havent done their jobs well enough.

But its much easier to make 1 person the scapegoat isn't it. Lets hope the board actually gets togerher with our next one and they can agree about transfers. Thats why the managers position will be sorted out quick I hope. It would be sods law tho that the players he wants get nobbled in the WC lol

Lets get the next 2 games sorted 1st tho. Nothing is written in blood.

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Is it a giving we are getting Sarri?

If he comes then fine. But I much rather continue with Conte otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Peeps are talking like they know for certain what is going to happen in a week or so's time.

Nobody knows if the Don is offski. And IF he is nobody has said Sarri is def coming have they? We was linked with Allegri for far longer than Sarri.

Peeps have such short memories tho. This time last season Conte couldn't put a foot wrong afte us playing some of the best football I have seen us play. Now we have interweb lynch mobs after him.

The players this season have failed too. By rights the teams thats been selected have more than been capable of inning the games they were chosen for. And whether thru shit luck or playing like shit they havent done their jobs well enough.

But its much easier to make 1 person the scapegoat isn't it. Lets hope the board actually gets togerher with our next one and they can agree about transfers. Thats why the managers position will be sorted out quick I hope. It would be sods law tho that the players he wants get nobbled in the WC lol

Lets get the next 2 games sorted 1st tho. Nothing is written in blood.

My theory of us being in for Sarri is based on one, timing and two, suitability. He ticks all the boxes, looks likely to be leaving Napoli, reportedly doesn't like to get involved with transfers and lastly he gets his teams playing attractive attacking football (based on his time at Napoli). There is nobody better suited for the role in my opinion. Wether the cheifs at The Bridge are thinking along a similar train of though is yet to be seen but in regards to recent reports, there is no smoke withouf fire. 

Having said all that, if Sarri isn't available then I would prefer Conte to stay another season and see what he can do to bridge the gap between us and a high flying City. 

I really hope it doesn't come to that. I shudder at the prospect of watching 3 at the back acompanied by lacklusture wingbacks and 80minute substitutions for a whole season again.

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

I think you have to look at the context. 

For the money they spend and the way they played it was not good. 

For Conte and Chelsea the last two seasons has not been bad, giving how woeful we been in the transfer market. 

Problem is this season has been bad and the only chance of Conte sticking about and his head being fully in the game is if we have a near perfect transfer window, and even then were be just one so so one away from things going to shit with his attitude again.

I am very much a fan of Conte, but the club should expect to be competing for the title every season with top 4 being the minimum. It is almost certain that he will fail to meet these expectations. Even then though,it wouldn't be unreasonable to keep him on for another season given that we won that title with him last year. One thing is certain though, if he is to stay, he and the board have to get on the same page regarding transfers. Either the board need to invest more, or Conte has to drop his expectations and make due with what we have and not complain about it.