The Conte Thread

Just read this in Calciomercato which basically confirms what we have all said and thought.

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/revealed-what-abramovich-told-conte-about-chelsea-summer-transfe-49049

It is widely known that Chelsea’s board and Conte collided when it came to program the last summer transfer campaign.

According to the Italian paper Abramovich didn’t accept Conte’s request to spend big to strengthen the team with the Russian owner who reportedly told his manager that he didn’t see why he couldn’t continue to win the same team that had just won the Champions League.

52 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Just read this in Calciomercato which basically confirms what we have all said and thought.

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/revealed-what-abramovich-told-conte-about-chelsea-summer-transfe-49049

It is widely known that Chelsea’s board and Conte collided when it came to program the last summer transfer campaign.

According to the Italian paper Abramovich didn’t accept Conte’s request to spend big to strengthen the team with the Russian owner who reportedly told his manager that he didn’t see why he couldn’t continue to win the same team that had just won the Champions League.

If thats the case Roman is a lot more stupider than I thought he would be considering he always seems to pull the trigger on coaches at the right time and salvage things. But again we've seen it in the past with Mourinho too regarding transfers.  Think Italian media could possibly be over exaggerating it but there is a possibility and I for one wouldn't be surprised if Conte thought that the players we got weren't enough to strengthen the squad/first 11 considering what City were signing and also United.

2 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Italian media, who in terms of football is as shitty as spanish media, writing shit to defend an italian manager. Im not surprised at all.

16 hours ago, Henrique said:

Italian media, who in terms of football is as shitty as spanish media, writing shit to defend an italian manager. 

Even if true, tells a lot. One nation behind their coach in foreign country. Huge respect. Some folks can learn from. Antonio Conte, still my coach! 

I'm starting to get a feeling that Conte may keep hold of his job. There aren't any top candidates on the market at present, at least not available without a fight with their current clubs, and I don't see anyone standing out any more than a manager with the pedigree of Conte and what he has achieved.

So many little links floating around without anything concrete. If Chelsea were going to do something you would think there is something in place already because with a shortened transfer window and the World Cup this is the worst possible summer to make drastic changes. Does the club instead look at keeping Conte for his last year next season, and summer 2019 they make more significant changes when they have more time without a major international tournament?

I also find it a little odd that Conte in the last handful of games seems to have got his mojo back and is making bolder and more aggressive tactical decisions both before and during games. You wouldn't usually expect that from a manager who know's hes off at the end of the season and therefore would just go through the motions. You just wonder whether there has been a little thawing of the relations between manager and board. If the Conte of last season is still burning inside of him, I would take that over anyone we have currently been linked with.

4 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I also find it a little odd that Conte in the last handful of games seems to have got his mojo back and is making bolder and more aggressive tactical decisions both before and during games.

Not sure bringing on Baka for Willian  was bolder it was borderline stupid and if you were at the game or watching on the telly the cry of '' What the fuck is he doing'' was everyone's response.

44 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Not sure bringing on Baka for Willian  was bolder it was borderline stupid and if you were at the game or watching on the telly the cry of '' What the fuck is he doing'' was everyone's response.

I too was nervous of bringing on Baka, but my point is more along the lines of being flexible to change things. Against Southampton we reverted to 4-2-3-1 to get back into the game, against Burnley we started with 2 up front which was extremely surprising and in the cup semi the introduction of an extra midfielder at that stage of the game stunted Southampton's momentum when they were getting on top a little and had just brought on an extra striker. Once this was achieved 10 minutes later he changed Fabregas for Pedro and reverted back to go for the second goal.

Whether these decisions are universally agreed amongst us, they have certainly helped us win the last three games and after a period early 2018 where we were crying out for Conte to make changes and be more flexible in his tactical approach (he just looked disinterested). Now suddenly he seems reinvigorated and is making changes and alterations that are making a difference which was a big part of our success last season.

3 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I too was nervous of bringing on Baka, but my point is more along the lines of being flexible to change things. Against Southampton we reverted to 4-2-3-1 to get back into the game, against Burnley we started with 2 up front which was extremely surprising and in the cup semi the introduction of an extra midfielder at that stage of the game stunted Southampton's momentum when they were getting on top a little and had just brought on an extra striker. Once this was achieved 10 minutes later he changed Fabregas for Pedro and reverted back to go for the second goal.

Whether these decisions are universally agreed amongst us, they have certainly helped us win the last three games and after a period early 2018 where we were crying out for Conte to make changes and be more flexible in his tactical approach (he just looked disinterested). Now suddenly he seems reinvigorated and is making changes and alterations that are making a difference which was a big part of our success last season.

I know where your coming from but isn't that a worry that he can go months on end looking like he doesn't care and then in the last few weeks appear to be back to his normal self. 

21 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

I know where your coming from but isn't that a worry that he can go months on end looking like he doesn't care and then in the last few weeks appear to be back to his normal self. 

Completely agree it is a worry, and I'll be one of the first to be critical of his attitude this season. I understand he has a right to be angry with the board's transfer business in the summer just like the majority of us are, but he still should have shown more professionalism. It just appears strange that things have suddenly clicked again. Conte even seems a little more bullish about trying to make top 4 in his press conferences than he was when we were in the top 4 a month ago. He seems happier and more relaxed too. You can't help but wonder if this is a sign that maybe the internal situation at the club has improved?

Also there are no manager's we're currently being linked with which fill me with real excitement and all carry some huge question marks in my opinion. Do we have a better manager already at the club? With two miserable seasons immediately after title winning seasons, it can't just be the failings of Conte and Mourinho. There has to be question marks over the attitude and desire of the players and the board too. 

anyone else noticed yesterday that zidane made a change at half time even tho they had a good result (1-1), and it really payed off

yet conte sometimes doesnt even make a sub even if the score is not in our favor...or makes it way too late ~80 minutes...

1 minute ago, whats happening said:

anyone else noticed yesterday that zidane made a change at half time even tho they had a good result (1-1), and it really payed off

yet conte sometimes doesnt even make a sub even if the score is not in our favor...or makes it way too late ~80 minutes...

Zidane made a substitution because Isco was injured.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:10 AM, Superblue_1986 said:

Completely agree it is a worry, and I'll be one of the first to be critical of his attitude this season. I understand he has a right to be angry with the board's transfer business in the summer just like the majority of us are, but he still should have shown more professionalism. It just appears strange that things have suddenly clicked again. Conte even seems a little more bullish about trying to make top 4 in his press conferences than he was when we were in the top 4 a month ago. He seems happier and more relaxed too. You can't help but wonder if this is a sign that maybe the internal situation at the club has improved?

Also there are no manager's we're currently being linked with which fill me with real excitement and all carry some huge question marks in my opinion. Do we have a better manager already at the club? With two miserable seasons immediately after title winning seasons, it can't just be the failings of Conte and Mourinho. There has to be question marks over the attitude and desire of the players and the board too. 

It would be good for us that Conte stays. 

Change the trend of sacking a manager after one bad season.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:10 PM, Superblue_1986 said:

. I understand he has a right to be angry with the board's transfer business in the summer just like the majority of us are, but he still should have shown more professionalism

Conte showed his ambition when he displayed his anger publicly. It was refreshing to see a manager show his discontent with our typical circus like acts before and during a title defending season. It takes a lot of bottle and I feel he carried himself well. He has shown he doesn't take shit from anyone and let's face it, isn't that kind of mentality we want leading us throught all 4 cup competitions!

On 4/25/2018 at 1:42 PM, Iggy Doonican said:

Does this not look like some sort of healing between the board and Conte?

14 hours ago, Jason said:

:lol: 

He's not wrong. The biggest problem is that we had a player last season that was a 20 goal a season striker and Conte didn't want him.

Sometimes the best players are the hardest to handle and manage and at times you just have to accept that, which Conte wasn't willing to do. If Costa was here this season, playing at the level he was last season in my opinion we'd be comfortably in the top 4 and possibly sitting in 2nd place.