The Conte Thread

23 minutes ago, Leif said:

It's only just hit me that Conte's intention's been to set us up like his Italian national side, not his Juventus side.

Not sure, but i think conte's problem this season is the fact that he keeps rotating the players and changing the formation everytime. We had average players last season, but we played the same team, same formation, week in week out. They developed chemistry together, everyone knew how their teammates behaved. This season conte hasnt managed the rotation well, that is why chelsea dont have understanding/chemistry on the pitch. 

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Not sure, but i think conte's problem this season is the fact that he keeps rotating the players and changing the formation everytime. We had average players last season, but we played the same team, same formation, week in week out. They developed chemistry together, everyone knew how their teammates behaved. This season conte hasnt managed the rotation well, that is why chelsea dont have understanding/chemistry on the pitch. 

I think he has managed rotation well. Last season there was no reason to rotate - a game once a week, no injuries, well established players and players who know what it takes to win things. This season? Midfield non-existent without Matic and with an older fatigued Fabregas, strike force toothless without Costa. Imagine him doing the same this season, no rotation, we would be even worse off imo. Just look at how our most reliable players like Azpi and Hazard perform while tired, our passengers would be even worse. If we had a good bench then nobody would make a problem out of rotation, we would still be getting results. City constantly rotate but it doesn't affect them does it? It's because their B team is about the same level as our A team, our B team would get relegated from the championship. People need to understand that this squad is just shit, you can't win by rotating or by sticking to the tried and trusted, there is no way to be taken seriously with this squad whatever way you look at it.

Conte is fine, it's the board that don't care anymore.

5 hours ago, Leif said:

It's only just hit me that Conte's intention's been to set us up like his Italian national side, not his Juventus side.

That's because he just has to come up with a plan with what he's got.  Wish someone was of more quality?  Tough, work around it.

If we still had Costa who fights for the team, we would have beaten Arsenal a lot of times this season including the League Emirates game. 
The reason why we failed to beat Arsenal because Morata is a very poor striker and we are overall toothless in attack.
He's been the reason a lot of games have gotten away from us in the past three months.

18 hours ago, manpe said:

I think he has managed rotation well. Last season there was no reason to rotate - a game once a week, no injuries, well established players and players who know what it takes to win things. This season? Midfield non-existent without Matic and with an older fatigued Fabregas, strike force toothless without Costa. Imagine him doing the same this season, no rotation, we would be even worse off imo. Just look at how our most reliable players like Azpi and Hazard perform while tired, our passengers would be even worse. If we had a good bench then nobody would make a problem out of rotation, we would still be getting results. City constantly rotate but it doesn't affect them does it? It's because their B team is about the same level as our A team, our B team would get relegated from the championship. People need to understand that this squad is just shit, you can't win by rotating or by sticking to the tried and trusted, there is no way to be taken seriously with this squad whatever way you look at it.

Conte is fine, it's the board that don't care anymore.

You have a point with city rotation, but if you look closely at city's rotation, they always play with six out of this nine attacking players (sane, sterling, aguero, kdb, gundogan, silva, fernadinho, bernadosilva,) always. We on the other hand, hazard is the only constant in attack. And he's either playing in the false nine today, playing behind one striker tomorrow, or playing on the wing the next day. Morata plays today, injures tomorrow, 3-4-3 today, 3-5-2 tomorow etc We just havent had a consistent attack lineup this season and our attack has become disjointed because of it. 

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

You have a point with city rotation, but if you look closely at city's rotation, they always play with six out of this nine attacking players (sane, sterling, aguero, kdb, gundogan, silva, fernadinho, bernadosilva,) always. We on the other hand, hazard is the only constant in attack. And he's either playing in the false nine today, playing behind one striker tomorrow, or playing on the wing the next day. Morata plays today, injures tomorrow, 3-4-3 today, 3-5-2 tomorow etc We just havent had a consistent attack lineup this season and our attack has become disjointed because of it. 

True but this also comes down to the rigidness of our squad. We either lack quality or quantity so the coach is forced to work around all the issues somehow, be that with rotation or change of formation. The rotation of our attacking players bar Hazard would not be such a problem if we had better wings and midfield. Wing-backs play great role in attack and they simply MUST be quality to pin teams back and support the forwards, this is a direct failure of our board's recruitment policy. The same thing with midfield, Bakayoko and Drinkwater especially for that money, what the fuck were they thinking? Conte wanted Matic to stay and recently has stressed this again, he also pushed for quality wing-backs... Got a panic buy second summer straight, and only recently yet another injured and unfit player in Emerson. Our emergency stop-gaps (Alonso and Moses) are still starters which is baffling for a club claiming to have ambition.

Pep's and Conte's situations are different. Conte has been dealt a weak hand so he has no choice but to bluff and speculate from time to time. Not everybody might agree with all the choices he makes playing this hand trying to squeeze out maximum winnings, but the ultimate fault lies with the dealer. Pep can go all in every turn and clear the table, because every turn he has a strong combination of cards.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

More fuel to the fire. Hes gonna be gone end of season isnt he? Purely based on the clubs way of taking the previous comments about transfers etc apparently they asked him why he was saying these things to the media. Hes not wrong but hes picking the wrong fight I think now after that previous talk about transfers, if I were him I'd be trying to get somebody in Emenalo's role (if we keep this set up) that he knows personally or has previously worked with to give him a triumph card if there is any chance hes gonna be here next season (although maybe somebody from the clubs past as well could be considered, but personally would that be as beneficial as somebody who is the managers guy?). Give him somebody who will also fight for the players he wants, has the same ideology and will side with him more, I don't think Roman actually sits  and butts heads with Conte directly but his advisors do/did. . 

I think the same happened with Mourinho. Once these extremely ambitious managers realize that the board is incompetent they get depressed, irritated, start making mistakes and want to get out.

It won't take much time after the Barcelona game that he is sacked I believe.

In the summer for the coaches most have you in mind. we will probably have to compete with Real, PSG, Arsenal, Bayern. I don't think those managers will want to work here either.

Conte is obviously right, but if the board gave him 200m he would not attract the attacking players Guardiola attracts. We can get the likes of Barkley and Kante but we are not gonna sign ready made world-class attacking talent over bigger clubs or those with more fancy managers.

2 hours ago, Polo7 said:

He has every right to moan. He won the title with a very average squad (not including Hazard). The board had to support him this year and they failed.

Nitpick, but technically you prob want to say it’s an average squad even with hazard. That hazard alone is not enough to bring the average side to being good.

i slightly disagree though. I’d say it’s a good squad, but not great, and to compete with united and esp city you need great.

4 hours ago, Polo7 said:

He has every right to moan. He won the title with a very average squad (not including Hazard). The board had to support him this year and they failed.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Did you still think that squad was average straight after winning the league? I highly doubt it. 

2 hours ago, Robguima said:

Nitpick, but technically you prob want to say it’s an average squad even with hazard. That hazard alone is not enough to bring the average side to being good.

i slightly disagree though. I’d say it’s a good squad, but not great, and to compete with united and esp city you need great.

Utd do not have a great squad, and City have two "world class" players.