The Conte Thread

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I agree but if the standard and profile of player we've brought in the last 2 windows is an indicator (more attainable, lower wages, next level down in quality), then it won't have an effect on our transfer strategy.

I'm with you, I'd rather see us bring in 2 or 3 top drawer players in the summer to add to what we already have here and immediately improve the starting XI. In this scenario it would prove hard (although not impossible as we got Kante when not in the champions league).

It's not often you can find someone like Kante playing for a lesser side and available on the cheap. The club these days would rather splash out 40-50m on piss poor players than on good ones.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's not often you can find someone like Kante.

Fixed that for you.

There are very few Kante's in this world. I honestly believe there has been a decline in players' quality in general these days. That's why almost every player could cost over 50m. Dark times if you ask me.

That's true but that's probably because we have bought mostly duds, except maybe 1-2 players. Gonna find it tougher to try signing top quality players if we're not in the Champions League and even more so when we have become so stingy with money.
It didn't make a difference in the summer. Things won't change in terms of signings until a manager is given more power or the board is reformed.

12 minutes ago, whats happening said:

for me its unbeliveable that only one year ago we were clear pl winners and now we are on the verge to finish outside of top4 and losing two of our best players. 

Because the club didn't' took it serious. And rested on their laurels. 

As always. 

3 hours ago, LAM09 said:
17 hours ago, Jason said:
That's true but that's probably because we have bought mostly duds, except maybe 1-2 players. Gonna find it tougher to try signing top quality players if we're not in the Champions League and even more so when we have become so stingy with money.

It didn't make a difference in the summer. Things won't change in terms of signings until a manager is given more power or the board is reformed.

Lately, I've been thinking "if only things in England are like in Germany or Italy, whereby the director of football or someone from the board always is always available to speak to the media"!

Lately, I've been thinking "if only things in England are like in Germany or Italy, whereby the director of football or someone from the board always is always available to speak to the media"!
It would certainly be interesting to see Marina talk about our acquisitions.

Regardless of the season I would still give him next season. 

It will speak volume of the difference of the club. 

That they do want to give time to a manager and what not. 

I would definitely like to see it but I don't know if that happens. 

Regardless of the season I would still give him next season. 
It will speak volume of the difference of the club. 
That they do want to give time to a manager and what not. 
I would definitely like to see it but I don't know if that happens. 
His attitude is going to get him the sack ahead of results at this rate

To be honest, if we finish inside the top 4 (its still possible), tie Hazard and Courtois down on new deals in the summer and make some good purchases will we still be in crisis?

I think its inevitable regardless of who's in charge, we will sign at least 4 or 5 players in the summer, purely because I doubt that whatever manager and the club is so blind to see that we desperately need to rejuvenate parts of the squad, particularly wing backs/full backs and attack, after the whole I need new players talk from Conte and also the fact we've signed some second rate footballers recently. I think if we get Hazard and Courtois on new deals for the summer it will set a good precedent and the club will hopefully try to build on that because they along with Kante and Azpi are crucial to our team. I don't think we are that much off many of the other teams, certainly the likes of United, Liverpool and Spurs. City maybe we are a bit off but who isn't? Lets say a new right wing back, another winger, a better CM to play with Kante... think the likes of Morata (first half of season was good, second half so far not so good), Barkley, Emerson and (despite my reluctance to say this as he has been a disaster for us so far) Bakayoko will all be better next season (well surely he can't be any worse?). 

Also if we change manager, like we seen with Conte last year, it could also rejuvenate players who have under performed (although I don't think we should be looking to change manager as the first resort, its hardly like Conte has said the players betrayed him or anything like Jose did) but who knows? Any manager who comes in has got a much better platform than we all think at this moment in time if last season is anything to go on (considering how shockingly poor Hazard, Costa, Azpi, Courtois and the rest of the squad was in comparison to their usual standards), even more so if Hazard and Courtois stay and sign new deals. If they don't, its a bit more difficult but they will still have guys like Azpi, Christensen (will be a key player for sure in our future) and Kante to build around and a bit more money to spend. 

I think he has prepared the last few games really well and criticizing him for the results only shows ignorance!

We canceled barcelona (zero chance apart from the goal on an error)
and against UTD we played better the first half even if we then gave in the second half!

with players like moses,  drinkwater, pedro, morata I think he have done enough

1 lose and 1 Drew  that can be 1win and 1 Drew or also 2 win. 

the results were caused by unfortunate circumstances:

2 shoot of Willy vs barca , 1 pass wrong by Christiense.

Vs. United  from non-existent offside

2 hours ago, DDA said:

People are forgetting how average our team really is. Conte done wonders against Barca. He did fuck up against United though in my opinion. 

I don't agree our team is average. We have some quality players, but the system is wrong. Moses I would agree is average, as is Cahill and Alonso. Apart from them, the rest of our team are one or all of  new to the league, young, hampered by injuries, returning from long term injury etc. I think people are expecting way too much, too soon from our new signings. The board maybe can be blamed a little, but they tried to sign the likes of Sandro, Koulibaly, Vidal, Nainggolan, Bonucci, however the chance of signing them was low because their clubs didn't want to let them go or the player didn't want to leave the club/country. It isn't like the board didn't try to sign some top quality players in previous two summer windows.

I think the tactics have gone stale and Conte has been way too stubborn to change things up. He has also been poor in cup competitions, and against a really poor Arsenal side he's been outdone by Wenger god knows how many times. Sometimes the team needs new tactics and formation to keep things interesting, but it hasn't happened. We still have a team good enough to be making top four, no matter what anybody says. Liverpool for e.g do not have a better side on paper, yet Klopp has them putting in impressive performances this season. 

1 hour ago, It's too big said:

I don't agree our team is average. We have some quality players, but the system is wrong. Moses I would agree is average, as is Cahill and Alonso. Apart from them, the rest of our team are one or all of  new to the league, young, hampered by injuries, returning from long term injury etc. I think people are expecting way too much, too soon from our new signings. The board maybe can be blamed a little, but they tried to sign the likes of Sandro, Koulibaly, Vidal, Nainggolan, Bonucci, however the chance of signing them was low because their clubs didn't want to let them go or the player didn't want to leave the club/country. It isn't like the board didn't try to sign some top quality players in previous two summer windows.

I think the tactics have gone stale and Conte has been way too stubborn to change things up. He has also been poor in cup competitions, and against a really poor Arsenal side he's been outdone by Wenger god knows how many times. Sometimes the team needs new tactics and formation to keep things interesting, but it hasn't happened. We still have a team good enough to be making top four, no matter what anybody says. Liverpool for e.g do not have a better side on paper, yet Klopp has them putting in impressive performances this season. 

I understand where you are coming from in terms of tactics but I can't let the list of average players stop there, new signings or not.

Drinkwater, Bakayoko, and Zappacosta should all be on that list.

18 hours ago, DDA said:

People are forgetting how average our team really is. Conte done wonders against Barca. He did fuck up against United though in my opinion. 

i agree with you, the team is not top quality in too many roles and lacks also from a quantitative pov. 

i think that the real mistake conte made this season is trying to compete in every competition

This squad should have lost early in Carabao cup and FA cup, and focuse on PL and Champions imho

Now need to focus on PL (best four placement is necessary) and FA cup ( i think that the stanford bridge result against barca 

is too negative to dream on a passage to quarters final, but still is possible)