Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

The Conte Thread

Followers 3

10 minutes ago, Jype said:

Yeah, and Mourinho probably didn't even need that good of a salespitch to convince him. United are playing with a three man midfield which suits Matic's strengths much, much better than the 3-4-3 so getting a starting role there in a competitive team sounds pretty good compared to fighting for a place in the squad at Chelsea in a role he's not at his best in.

As much as the board have fucked up this summer, selling Matic is not even close one of the things I'd hold against them the most.

Don't think many (myself included) are that upset that he was sold, more so that he was sold to a side that will instantly be improved by his joining and has the ability to directly hurt our chances.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, I am a Juventus italian fan and maybe I can help you to understand which kind of coach Conte is...(sorry for my english, I hope you will understand) When he arrived in Juventus, he fo

I think the fact that we stuck to our principles, pressing them high up the pitch in spurts throughout the game and more importantly, passing out from the back, even with a few mistakes (note - it goe

Posted Images

Tbf for the money offered, I would have sold Matic too. He was piss poor for most of the season. Our midfield was a Kante one man show. Even a half fit Bakayoko can only do better. I'd much rather have Drinkwater, who has a better understanding with Kante anyway than Matic in my squad. Still it is not a good sign that we sell players the manage rhas in his plans and it did not seem that Matic was keen on leaving it felt more like him being pushed out. Luckily this is not a KDB/Salah/Mata/Lukaku/Bertrand etc. case were we sold too soon. economically and probably also from a technical point of view a brilliant decision to sell matic. But strategically it might come to back to haunt us if this deteroriates the relationship with Conte and the board.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Tbf for the money offered, I would have sold Matic too. He was piss poor for most of the season. Our midfield was a Kante one man show. Even a half fit Bakayoko can only do better. I'd much rather have Drinkwater, who has a better understanding with Kante anyway than Matic in my squad. Still it is not a good sign that we sell players the manage rhas in his plans and it did not seem that Matic was keen on leaving it felt more like him being pushed out. Luckily this is not a KDB/Salah/Mata/Lukaku/Bertrand etc. case were we sold too soon. economically and probably also from a technical point of view a brilliant decision to sell matic. But strategically it might come to back to haunt us if this deteroriates the relationship with Conte and the board.

very soon we will see how important was matic for this team.

10 minutes ago, whats happening said:

very soon we will see how important was matic for this team.

Yeah Matic was important in getting overrun in every bloody big game in the entire season. Important in being clumsy and slow on and off the ball, misplacing the simplest of passes and being about the most one-footed person alive. 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yeah Matic was important in getting overrun in every bloody big game in the entire season. Important in being clumsy and slow on and off the ball, misplacing the simplest of passes and being about the most one-footed person alive. 

he wasnt that bad. this whole narrative that kante did all the work himself is pretty annoying and stupid.

and we can be worse next season. no one knows how bakayoko will end up. he can easily be worse than matic.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jype said:

What makes people automatically think those Matic comments are a dig at the board? It might just as well be that Conte wanted to keep him but the player insisted on going with increased competition for his place so the club didn't want to keep him against his will.

"My idea was to use Matic to sweeten in Bakayoko and ultimately to bench him in a few months when the French will be ready. Unfortunately, the Serbian was having none of that and wanted to leave this club ; and, at the same time, Manchester United did bid a significant amount of money. We thus had to sell and to accelerate the process blah blah...."

Indeed. Reading between the lines is cool — but there is not always things to read, between those lines. Sometimes, plain statements are, well, mere plain statements without any hidden meaning. And here, we are most certainly in one of those cases : a mere exposition, a mere statement made by Conte without any masterplan hidden behind it.

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

we won 30 games last year...

3 hours ago, Jype said:

What makes people automatically think those Matic comments are a dig at the board? It might just as well be that Conte wanted to keep him but the player insisted on going with increased competition for his place so the club didn't want to keep him against his will.

conte prefers different types of CM 

i think that a good name could be matuidi 

• Like 1
On 8/8/2017 at 10:44 AM, Tomo said:

This Papy and Hector narrative is getting beyond boring and ignorant.

Because it looks more then likely that is what will do. All summer to get targets and just now they are working hard?

They will default and get just some crappy player like Hector to be sent out on loan. 

• Like 2

General consensus amongst pundits and journalists seems to be that we've taken a step back this summer, that we won't really compete for the title, that we made a ridiculous decision to sell Matic to United, and that Conte isn't long for the job.

Hard to disagree with any of that, sadly.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Because it looks more then likely that is what will do. All summer to get targets and just now they are working hard?

They will default and get just some crappy player like Hector to be sent out on loan. 

It has happened once in how many year's? Why is it more likely to be another Papy/Hector end of window as opposed to another Alonso/Luiz, Willian or Remy type?

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

General consensus amongst pundits and journalists seems to be that we've taken a step back this summer, that we won't really compete for the title, that we made a ridiculous decision to sell Matic to United, and that Conte isn't long for the job.

We may not have had a great window, but as it stands only City have done enough to overtake us.

Same people who wrote us off last season.
There are more sensible people here than on TV, albeit not many. Their opinions are as good as yours... Which isn't right or wrong, but I don't get why you made this an argument.
We got rid of an average player, who once had a very good season in the title campaign a few years back and who was going to sit in our bench, moved him to be a starter in a rival. We might get another average player, who was also solid in a title a couple of years ago, to be our 4th choice in midfield. See the difference?
29 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It has happened once in how many year's? Why is it more likely to be another Papy/Hector end of window as opposed to another Alonso/Luiz, Willian or Remy type?

Well we shall see. 

I'm just getting that notion that this is what will happen. 

They can't close any good target and will just get players to be sent out on loan. 

14 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Same people who wrote us off last season.
There are more sensible people here than on TV, albeit not many. Their opinions are as good as yours... Which isn't right or wrong, but I don't get why you made this an argument.
We got rid of an average player, who once had a very good season in the title campaign a few years back and who was going to sit in our bench, moved him to be a starter in a rival. We might get another average player, who was also solid in a title a couple of years ago, to be our 4th choice in midfield. See the difference?

I don't think we'll really miss Matic but I definitely think he'll improve United considerably. Honestly, selling him is pretty far down on my list of annoyances this summer. Not immedietly going after and nailing down the managers top targets is number 1. Followed closely by waiting until this late and still not having any depth in several key positions.

Their opinions my be just as valid as ours, but in truth it is very difficult to make the case that we've improved our team so far. With Hazard and Bakayoko out along with Diego exiled you'd have to agree that we now enter the new season worse than we ended last. 

• Like 1