Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

The Conte Thread

Followers 3

3 hours ago, Dahnald said:

2011... the year after you got knocked out by Fulham in the Europa League... showed the state of Juventus and how much Conte did for them.

The year after we do a good CL being eliminated at the quarter finals against the super Bayern. In the third and last season of Conte we were eliminated the last day of the group against galatasaray playing on a field impractical and reached the semifinals of the EL going out against Benfica. Considering the team we had were good results. Probably last year of Conte we could have done more in CL but we were also unlucky.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, I am a Juventus italian fan and maybe I can help you to understand which kind of coach Conte is...(sorry for my english, I hope you will understand) When he arrived in Juventus, he fo

I think the fact that we stuck to our principles, pressing them high up the pitch in spurts throughout the game and more importantly, passing out from the back, even with a few mistakes (note - it goe

Posted Images

2 hours ago, The Skipper said:

They just did a 343 against Monaco though... Completely controlled the game.

It wasnt realy a typical 3:4:3. 

When Juve had ball, Chiellini and Bonucci were CBs, with Sandro and Barzagli on wide sides as fullbacks and Alves Mandzukic further up on wings. There were multiple rotations indeed with Barzagli moving inside and Alves going to wingback role. But from the get go, you could see Barzagli as fullback which was brave decision from Allegri.

Possibly Allegri only did this because Khedira wasnt available.

Once again, last night Conte has refused to answer if he will be Chelsea's manager next season.

Don't wanna scare anybody or sound too pessimist but it's clear Antonio is playing hardball with the board and he might do what he did in the past with Juventus.

The matters are well known: players recruitment (he wants to compete with the top European clubs) and backroom staff.

Roman, Antonio might be one of the best thing happened to Chelsea, don't be penny pincher!

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

It wasnt realy a typical 3:4:3. 

When Juve had ball, Chiellini and Bonucci were CBs, with Sandro and Barzagli on wide sides as fullbacks and Alves Mandzukic further up on wings. There were multiple rotations indeed with Barzagli moving inside and Alves going to wingback role. But from the get go, you could see Barzagli as fullback which was brave decision from Allegri.

Possibly Allegri only did this because Khedira wasnt available.

On the ball it was a 3-4-3 similar to ours, off the ball it was a 3-5-2 with an assymetrical 3 man midfield (Mandzukic, Marchisio, Pjanic). Sandro was able to stay more in position because he had Mandzukic screening in front of him. Dani Alves didn't have that luxury so he needed to be more aggresive when defending.

I think Allegri switched to a back 3 because of Monaco playing a 2 striker system. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, simonez said:

Once again, last night Conte has refused to answer if he will be Chelsea's manager next season.

Don't wanna scare anybody or sound too pessimist but it's clear Antonio is playing hardball with the board and he might do what he did in the past with Juventus.

The matters are well known: players recruitment (he wants to compete with the top European clubs) and backroom staff.

Roman, Antonio might be one of the best thing happened to Chelsea, don't be penny pincher!

Don't worry. If we do the double, he will then get all the backup.

1 hour ago, simonez said:

We do not deserve Conte if the board ignores his requests.

And I expect things will turn for the worse next season if he goes. Because he's right. Even though somehow we won (well, 3 points away from winning) the league, this team ain't good enough. We are playing CL next season which brings a whole new dimension compared to this season. This squad ain't good enough to cope both PL, CL, LC and FA Cup. Nowhere near. And I don't want Conte to take the blame for our failures if he barely got any backing.

3 minutes ago, Mana said:

We do not deserve Conte if the board ignores his requests.

And I expect things will turn for the worse next season if he goes. Because he's right. Even though somehow we won (well, 3 points away from winning) the league, this team ain't good enough. We are playing CL next season which brings a whole new dimension compared to this season. This squad ain't good enough to cope both PL, CL, LC and FA Cup. Nowhere near. And I don't want Conte to take the blame for our failures because he barely got any backing.

And thing is you know if things go wrong rather then blame themselves for not supporting him in the first place the blame will lie with him and then if doesn't improve off he goes and round and round we go. Agree being out the Champions League has had a huge impact this season but all be different next season and hopefully they'll realise that..but with the board being the way they have been can go either way..hopefully the better way

5 hours ago, simonez said:

He will leave us if it happens. He left Juventus for that reason.

Juventus is HIS team. The club he played for the majority of his life and the team he brought back from them on the brink of becoming like Inter and AC Milan. Juventus got knocked out by FULHAM in 2010 and won the title in 2011 when Conte stepped in. He has done wonders for them and for us.

If the board don't back Conte and he leaves us, I tell you this: We will never have a manager who will bring us to incredible heights

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Inter have sacked Stefano Pioli...

Alright...this is going to be interesting.

Their Chinese owners won't mess around. I think they're going for Simeone...or Conte. 

Thinking Conte would go to China is like thinking Tim Duncan would move to Europe just because some no name team who play in a school gym quadruple his contract.

Forget that - him going to Inter? TO JUVENTUS'S RIVAL INTER? Is someone funneling crack smoke in here? The day I see Guardiola manage Real Madrid.

Simeone several times said that he wants to coach Inter one day. I think that day has come.

Yeah, and the timing of the announcement is weird.

After tomorrow, when Atleti are officially out of the CL, Simone will announce his departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 minutes ago, 11Drogba said:

Simeone several times said that he wants to coach Inter one day. I think that day has come.

...and Inter allegedly want him -but it is a 'source within the club'  (Sports illustrated)

• Like 1
Just now, Ledgi said:

Yeah, and the timing of the announcement is weird.

After tomorrow, when Atleti are officially out of the CL, Simone will announce his departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would make it a bit too clear no? But I think Simeone and his play-style would be perfect for Inter.

Conte once said he could manage Inter one day, even with his Juve past, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. He has to stay with us but it's all in the hands of our board. If they don't give Conte the players he wants, I'm lost for words at which direction Chelsea wants to go in terms of competing in Europe. You can't swap managers every 2 years and expect to compete in Europe anytime soon. 

But yeah my money definitely is on Simeone to Inter. Atletico Madrid got their new stadium next season but I doubt it'll be a reason for Cholo to stay in Madrid. Has been with them for some years now and I don't think he's able to reach higher with them.
(And his best players, Griezmann (United), Oblak (City?), will be gone in the summer)

Just now, Leif said:

I think Conte's next job will be with Madrid.

Well...let's hope Zidane will either win the UCL or La Liga because Florentino Perez is as trigger happy as Roman is. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Leif said:

I think Conte's next job will be with Madrid.

Or he goes back to Juve. He'd have no reason to move on to a rival of ours; he's won the league and made the bond with us. It'd be really cool for him to go back if he had to leave us.
He isn't the PSG type, or Paris type, at all.
Barcelona wouldn't go for him.
But, Madrid won't have many options when Zidane's gone - who can we name right now? If i was their board and mulling over Zidane, the
only managers out there I'd like the look of & trust would be Conte and.. i'm struggling to think of anyone else at all.
He won't manage a Juve rival, and while he's romantic I doubt he'll manage a tiny team in Italy.
Then the only other club on this tier to choose from really is Bayern. It'd be a sensible but lacklustre move.

Regardless, he's got the greatest odds of any coach to last here up to 8 or so years imo.

6 minutes ago, Dahnald said:

Well...let's hope Zidane will either win the UCL or La Liga because Florentino Perez is as trigger happy as Roman is. 

1+ just because I'm pretty sure I had that Donald picture as my avatar about a year ago.

On 2017-5-7 at 8:07 PM, Tautvix said:

I have to defend Mourinho here. You also forget that almost the same team won the title in 2014/2015. I don't want to take anything away from Conte but everyone who watched Jose's Chelsea of 2004-2007 will agree that team was a different class. We should still be thankful that we had Jose at his best, when he was probably the best manager in the world. Of course it's now gone for him. Next season will be a huge test for Conte also playing in Europe. 

I don't think so. Mourinho best work was with Inter Milan. Easily. When Mourinho took over, Chelsea was already a semi final UCL side and PL 2nd placed side. That team wasn't "a different class". A strong team, definitely, but not "a different class". 09/10 Ancelotti's team was in my books a better side than any of Mourinho's teams from 2004 to 2007. The best he could to with that 04/07 team in Europe was the same semi final Ranieri achieved months before he arrived claiming he was the Special One, and in both semi-finals he was defeated by a much more weaker side in Liverpool. In 390 minutes of football against Liverpool, that "different class" Chelsea scored only one goal. Months after he left the team finally achieved a UCL Final and finally defeating Liverpool with perhaps one of the most brilliant pieces of football I've seen from Chelsea in the first 15 minutes of the Extra Time. The team went for the victory. Even after the goals scored by Lampard the team kept pressuring Liverpool until scoring another one with Drogba. That was the kind of performance that the team would never achieve with Mourinho in such stage of such decisive game. Mourinho would ask the team to not lose the game...

Mourinho was good in 04/07, but not as good as english press made him look. When he took over, Chelsea was supposed to win the league, just like people expected Guardiola to win the league this season. When Conte was appointed months ago, this team prospect was to struggle to even get a top 4 finish.

• Like 4