The Conte Thread

Needs to come in with an immediate direction, both in playing style and players to be identified. The Euros being on is doing my fucking head in, as I can see him leaving a shopping list with the likes of Emenalo and saying "I want these" only to rock up at Cobham to find he wanted Steak and Chips and got toast.

I hope everyone has sat down, discussed a direction, identified players and a philosophy has been stuck too in terms of who exactly is coming and going from this football club. This for me is the biggest summer ever for this football club after what we have just witnessed, not just in terms of incoming and outgoings but exactly how we dust ourselves down and the manner we do it in.

I've said it before, Antonio Conte has a devils job ahead of him.

I doubt Conte will be that involved in recruitment,  It'll be Marina and co. who'll have to sell that vision, and the buck and emanalo, with Conte having input

The problem is we have moments where Roman allows managers freedom to ask the club to try and buy who they want but then changes tact again by the end of the transfer window or in the next one.

Five things for Antonio Conte to improve at Chelsea

Antonio Conte certainly has a lot on his plate this summer. First he will attempt to guide Italy to Euro 2016 glory. Then comes the small task of trying to improve a Chelsea side which failed so miserably this season.If the former Juventus boss had any vacation plans, then he’s certainly cancelled them. The 46-year-old will have plenty on his to do list when he takes charge at Stamford Bridge.We’ve picked the top five things the Italian must address…

Improve the midfield:This is perhaps the one area of the Chelsea team that needs an overhaul – although you can make a strong case of the defence as well.Too often this season opposition sides breezed through the Blues’ midfield and it left the defence exposed. It’s largely why 53 goals were conceded this season as opposed to 32 during the title winning campaign.Sadly, Nemanja Matic became a liability. He was a colossus the previous year, single handedly controlling the midfield during several matches. But his form has dipped so dramatically you doubt whether he will get back to his best.Cesc Fabregas, as everyone knows, is a fabulous footballer but can’t defend an iota. He makes token tackles rather than making genuine attempts to win the ball. Playing him deep in midfield, especially against strong sides, was a mistake. It’s he featured more as a number ten during the last few months of the season.John Obi Mikel continues to be Marmite among fans. He’s been at the club ten years and has won the lot yet has still never truly established himself. Some managers have liked him, like Guus Hiddink, others haven’t. There is little doubt Mikel is functional and does a good job in tight games, no Blues fan will ever forget his outstanding performance in the Champions League final, but he is limited.That leaves Ruben Loftus Cheek as the other midfield option. He’s got the potential but is he ready to play week in, week out? It’s a tough call but probably not just yet.So Conte needs to dip into the market and bring in a quality midfielder. One who can build attacks and can also defend. Paul Pogba’s been linked but that, with no European football on offer, seems fanciful. Radja Nainggolan is another target but may prove difficult to prize away from Roma.

Add depth which is sorely lacking:Chelsea’s transfer business over the past year has left a lot to be desired. Last summer Petr Cech and Didier Drogba – who may not have been the players they once were but remained huge influences in the dressing room – departed. Felipe Luis also returned to Atletico Madrid after barely getting a look in under Jose Mourinho while Ramires left for China in January.In came the likes of Falcao (let’s not even get into that), Papy Djilobodji (who managed just one appearance), Baba Rahman (youthful but very inconsistent), Pedro (experienced yet inconsistent) and Asmir Begovic (who turned out to be a success but largely because he made more appearances then perhaps anybody expected). Alexander Pato joined in January on loan but did little to convince his signing should be made permanent.This poor business meant Chelsea’s squad was threadbare. They lacked strength in depth. So as soon as the likes of Eden Hazard, Fabregas, Diego Costa, Matic and Branislav Ivanovic spectacularly lost form, there was nobody to replace them in the side. Chelsea and Mourinho suffered hugely as a result.Conte must make sure that can’t happen again. If key players lose form, others must be ready to step up and take their place. The Blues have, unsurprisingly, reportedly been looking at a host of players from Serie A. Conte knows the market well and he knows he must beef up his squad.

Work out what to do with John Terry:The captain, leader, legend is staying and there isn’t a Chelsea fan who isn’t delighted about that. He has become the heartbeat of Chelsea and, perhaps, is the only remaining player who truly ‘loves’ the club.If fit, he wants to play every game, even at 35-years-old. It is an admirable attitude. But Conte will know that isn’t what is best for Terry and it isn’t what is best for Chelsea.The Italian will have to manage the centre-back carefully, picking and choosing which games to play the inspirational skipper while ensuring Terry doesn’t feel side-lined.It’s a difficult balancing act for the Italian. Terry is a big personality and if he isn’t happy then, one way or another, it comes out. Conte must keep him onside.Ensure Eden Hazard doesn’t again disappear into his shell:The winger endured an awful season. Yes, he finished it strongly with that goal against Spurs and then with a magnificent solo strike against Liverpool at Anfield. But it was all too little, too late.Whatever went wrong for Hazard, either mentally or physically, can’t be allowed to happen again. He is too influential, the last two seasons have proved that.When Hazard is at the top of his game, as he was during the title winning season, he wins games single handled. When he is off his game, as he was this season, Chelsea suffer.Conte must make sure the green shoots of recovery Hazard displayed in the final matches of the season blossom next term. A strong European Championships may do just that. But if Hazard struggles with Belgium, Conte must make sure his mind is in the right place when he returns to Chelsea.

Decide who’s ready to make the step up:  Chelsea’s Academy could save the club millions yet no manager has been ready to trust the kids. Next season could be the perfect opportunity. If, and it’s a big if, Chelsea are struggling to attract top talent because they are not in Europe, then there’s not point settling for second best.Instead Conte should weigh up which players from the army of loanees and the hugely successful Under-18s side are ready to make the step up and then he needs to trust them.Andreas Christensen has excelled at Borussia Mönchengladbach this season, Nathan Ake’s performances at Watford earned him the club’s Young Player of the Year award, Lewis Baker and Dominic Solanke have gained valuable experience at Vitesse, Charly Musonda too at Real Betis. The list of potential first team players is endless.They just need the opportunity to prove themselves at the highest level, like Dele Alli had at Tottenham this season.

chelsea-news.co

can someone post some/ point to good article stating what kind of manager is Conte. Frankly I have no clue about this guy. 

And Mourinho is getting all the headlines here even after almost everyone in the forum supported his sack. 

What kind of football does Conte like to play? how good is he with subs, his tactics? His take on Youth policy?

Why are we so concerned about United's youth getting chance? Personally I just want to see us back to winning the title and getting CL action. 

4 hours ago, bluephoenix said:

can someone post some/ point to good article stating what kind of manager is Conte. Frankly I have no clue about this guy. 

And Mourinho is getting all the headlines here even after almost everyone in the forum supported his sack. 

What kind of football does Conte like to play? how good is he with subs, his tactics? His take on Youth policy?

Why are we so concerned about United's youth getting chance? Personally I just want to see us back to winning the title and getting CL action. 

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/serie-a-showcase/conte-2/

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/conte-the-transfer-market-between-past-involvements-future-expectations/

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/features/2016/2/25/11116880/antonio-conte-chelsea-profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCjeGbHZe0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUxPWY8ZI_Q

EURO2016: Conte has “no doubts” about squad and asks “players to dream”

The second phase of preparations for the Euro 2016 finals is now under way in Coverciano. The day has been dedicated to the Azzurri’s sponsors and the players will take to the training pitch in the afternoon under the watchful eye of Antonio Conte, who has just picked his training squad ahead of the tournament. “I have no doubts.”, declared the Italy manager in the press conference at the beginning of the training camp, “I already have a clear project in my mind. There will be an absolute maximum of two or three changes, my ideas are very clear and I am quite relaxed from this point of view.”

Thirty players assembled in Coverciano with the team still waiting for assessments on injuries sustained by Thiago Motta and Montolivo. “These circumstances were considered in the initial selection. We came to this number because of a few injuries and because of tactical choices. I made the decision based on selecting the best available players and on my own personal philosophy and by considering our qualification campaign and what we want to do at the finals. We need fit players, who will work hard and prepare well for these championships. We can’t expect anything from anyone.”, said Conte, “Motta and Montolivo are here precisely because I don’t want to leave anything to chance. I want to understand the nature of their injuries and know how long it will take for them to get back into training with the squad.”.

The manager also revealed that he had spoken with Andrea Pirlo: “I needed to hear from him and I sent people to America for a week in order to assess both Andrea and Giovinco. I looked at everything and made my choices tactically.”. It’s inevitable to take stock of the injury list, even if the Azzurri head coach isn’t looking to make excuses: “We’ve certainly not been very lucky recently, let’s hope that we get the rub of the green during the tournament. I’m asking my players to be dreamers, to dream of something that is wonderful and achievable.”.

Friendlies against Scotland and Finland will help clear up any remaining questions in the days leading up to the team’s departure for Montpellier but it will also be excellent preparation to play two teams with similar characteristics to Italy’s group-stage opponents in France. “We’ll be playing a very physical side, similar to Ireland, whilst Finland will also be a useful test ahead of the Sweden game. We’ve looked to avoid teams that we might have come up against at the Euros.”

vivoazzuro.it

On 5/24/2016 at 9:07 AM, Melanicus said:

Conte on Giovinco and Pirlo not being called up : "if you choose to go and play in MLS then you can pay the consequences in footballing terms".

Also, look at this press conference:

Pirlo was right. His words truly assault you. He is a natural speaker, makes you pay attention to every word he says.

I'm just wondering whether he can transfer the same level of intensity and passion when he is speaking English. Hopefully it's no barrier by the time he comes since this seems to be one of his strengths.

-TOP FOUR THE TARGET FOR CONTE

Antonio Conte faces a near-impossible job at Chelsea next season.The no-nonsense approach that the Italian has exhibited during spells in charge of Juventus and now as manager of Italy will put him in good stead for the task facing him, but after a lacklustre 2015/16 season, it will take something special to help the club bounce back from their disappointing title defence.Rewind twelve months, and everything was rosy in the Chelsea garden. The club had just negotiated a near-perfect season. Despite a disappointing exit on away goals from the UEFA Champions League and a capitulation at the hands of lowly Bradford in the FA Cup, just four defeats in all competitions had resulted in a Premier League and Capital One Cup double.However, the departures of long-serving stalwarts Didier Drogba and Petr Cech signalled the beginning of the end for Jose Mourinho, who, by December, lost his job for an unforgivable league showing which saw the champions occupy 16th position with just fifteen points on the board.Even a semi-respectable run of results under interim manager Guus Hiddink failed to kick-start Chelsea’s season, with the West London club eventually having to settle for mid-table mediocrity. 10th position represented the Blues’ worst league showing since 1995/96.As to how a side that dominated English football during the first two seasons of Mourinho’s second spell in charge could succumb to such an ignominious demise within such a short space of time remains the ultimate mystery of a peculiar Premier League season. Whether there was something endemic in the division in 2015/16 – of all the teams, only Leicester resembled anything close to consistency, as Arsenal, both Manchester clubs, Liverpool, and, eventually, Tottenham all imploded at various stages of the campaign.Whilst Chelsea lost a number of key individuals in the summer of 2015, the arrivals of Pedro, Radamel Falcao and Asmir Begovic ensured that there would be stiff competition for places in a squad looking to defend the two titles won in the previous season.Yet, even after such a poor season, this is not a Chelsea side in total chaos – but serious work needs to be done by the incoming head coach. Conte’s challenge is not so much centred on rebuilding the squad, but is rather a need to rejuvenate a team that looked short of confidence and inspiration in 2015/16.Most of the tools required for a successful campaign are already in the Stamford Bridge toolbox. In Thibaut Courtois, you have one of the world’s greatest goalkeepers; Cesar Azpilcueta and Kurt Zouma can form the spine of a reliable defence for years to come; Cesc Fabregas, on his day, can unpick any defence; and in the formidable forward triumvirate of Diego Costa, Willian and Eden Hazard, Conte has plenty of creativity and firepower to call upon.

But beyond those players, the squad is in need of an injection. New life needs to be breathed into a stagnating squad that has an over-reliance on moment of individual brilliance as opposed to collective fluency. Take even the second half of the 2014/15 season: Chelsea needed moments of brilliance from the likes of Fabregas, Hazard and Costa as they negotiated their way to the title.In order to challenge next season, Conte needs to centre his team around those players named above, and bring in a number of players who can add competition for places. There is already talk of Juan Cuadrado returning from his loan at Juventus, with Conte allegedly a fan of the Colombian. Similarly, with the departures of Falcao, Alex Pato, and seemingly also Loic Remy, the Italian will want to add a striker or two to his repertoire, with Romelu Lukaku being amongst those names touted to be joining Costa on the frontlines of the Blues’ assault on silverware. With these huge deposit bonuses, it may be worth a flutter on the transfer market, with Chelsea being linked with a number of star names.The biggest challenge facing Conte is whether or not he can repair the fragile confidence of many players in the Chelsea squad. Courtois and Hazard were perhaps the two biggest casualties of the last season, though the latter certainly upped his game in the final weeks of the campaign. Ensuring Chelsea have a dependable shot-stopper and a supply of creativity behind the strikers is paramount to their success next season, and Conte will certainly have to work his magic to manage that.Realistically, next season is a rebuilding spell for Chelsea. A season out of European competition can go some way towards helping the Blues back into the Champions League in 2017/18, as they will face a less congested fixture list as opposed to their fellow rivals for a top four finish. Nevertheless, this will not necessarily give Chelsea an advantage in the title race, but will perhaps go some way towards helping their top four aspirations.That – and perhaps a good cup run – is the absolute minimum as Conte looks to restore both Chelsea’s reputation and a bit of pride. It’ll be a long and arduous process. Don’t expect an immediate return to former glories, but Chelsea fans should look as the coming season as the club laying the foundations for the next decade of success.

TalkChelsea.net

5 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

We will not overreact to Conte's performance at the Euros. We will not overreact to Conte's performance at the Euros. We will not overreact to Conte's performance at the Euros. We will not overreact to Conte's performance.....We will not overreact....

In fact we should just lock this thread during the Euro's because the overreaction either positive/negative will be insufferable. As LvG showed after the World Cup, national team success isn't an automatic carryover to club success. 

He could win the tournament with the most spectacular football ever witnessed in the history of the championship and it would have absolutely zero bearing on his following stint as Chelsea head coach. I don't even understand how one would make such a link.

3 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

All 5 of Contes backroom boys have stepped down from their Italian duties. So we're getting the whole ensemble with him.

That'll cost the club, when Contes sacked after Christmas.....

What does this mean for the likes of Holland and co.?