The Conte Thread

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Couldn't agree more with that and did a little bit of searching and compared the number of goals scored + points won after the 80th minute last and this season

2015/16 - Scored 8 goals, 6 of them helped to gain 7 points

2016/17 - Scored 5 goals, with 4 having helped to win 6 points (and we're only 4 games in!)

To me it looks like the guys are giving their all every game and that is something ex players have praised Conte for, for instilling such a mentality and being a great motivator. You never felt the players really giving their all last season (until Hiddink arrived).

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I would imagine the figure last season was similar every season since I remember, going back to 14/15 even we only won 4 points in the last ten minutes and that were the Everton and QPR games.

Drove me nuts so hopefully this newly found figting till the end at The Bridge is here to stay, because even our 04-10 bunch didn't win many points late on, could be the difference from being a dominant league force to a mere cup team.

Yeah. Can't remember the number of times I've complained (and have seen others do the same) United getting late jammy winners under Fergie. It's annoying to watch but one can't fault them for giving up. It always played on oppositions' minds in every game.

7 minutes ago, manpe said:

To me it looks like the guys are giving their all every game and that is something ex players have praised Conte for, for instilling such a mentality and being a great motivator. You never felt the players really giving their all last season (until Hiddink arrived).

Indeed.

Under Mourinho

2-0 v Arsenal (1)
2-2 v Newcastle *1 (1)

Under Hiddink
3-3 v Everton *1 (1)
1-1 v Man United *1 (1)
2-1 v Southampton *2 (1)
2-2 v West Ham *1 (1)
4-1 v Bournemouth (1)
2-2 v Spurs *1 (1)

* points won - (goals scored)

13 minutes ago, manpe said:

Nah and what seemed to happen a bit last season was score..switch off..then watch as the other team scored..then give up and watch them score again.

Least this time round they've so far kept going for it..even if our finishing yesterday was so so frustrating

2 hours ago, Melanicus said:

Great interview. Those two get along very well. Talking about bad behaving player: "I prefer to kill him." :lol:

1 hour ago, CHOULO19 said:

^^

Was just coming here to post that interview. This is why I love Antonion Conte :wub: 

Lol i wanted to post it too :D

54 minutes ago, AlesJuve said:

Too many memories :( Conte was the perfect coach for Pogba.

Which one in that pic has gone to United? To me it looks like it's the one on Conte's left :lol: Your club has hidden the real Pogba somewhere safe in Torino and sent one of his brothers to Manchester :lol: 

*-To have and have not-*

conte--to-have-and-have-not.img.png

Many are anticipating an exciting game of attacking football under the lights and in front of the live TV cameras at the Bridge tonight, and that presents opportunities and challenges according to Antonio Conte.A Liverpool side that has scored four goals in two of their Premier League games this season but also lost 2-0 to Burnley are the opposition, and they have a clear pattern of play. Unbeaten Chelsea too are establishing our principles of play under our new boss and there is a balance to be struck.

‘We pay great attention to this game because Liverpool attack with two wingers and a forward playing very narrow in a line, and they put the full-backs very wide,’ Conte explains.‘They attack with five, six or seven players and this is difficult [to face], but there is a great possibility when you win the ball to find good space. When you are without the ball it can create many problems if you don’t find the right solution.’

One of the players who has been important to Conte’s Chelsea so far is Oscar, who started all four league games played so far.

‘I always thought this team needed to find a good balance when you have possession of the ball and when you have not, and last season Chelsea conceded 55 goals,’ says the head coach.‘Oscar is a good player with great technique and can do both phases, offensive and defensive. Now I ask him to always stay focused in the game because he is an important player for Chelsea. He is a good passer and he can score goals. He is in my plan and in Chelsea’s plan.’

Oscar’s form so far is one of the reasons why Cesc Fabregas has been beginning games on the bench. Conte spoke about the Spanish playmaker yesterday and he adds that he sees him as an example to others.

‘Cesc is working very well and improving a lot in many aspects in the defensive situation. I have to choose 11 players but if it happens that I decide to play with Cesc, another player will be on the bench and I want to see the same attitude and behaviour as Cesc.’ 

chelseafc.com

(Half time vs Liverpool as of the time of comment.) Very disappointing. Very conservative, which means he learned nothing from Mourinho's tenure. It doesn't work with this group of players. There's no Drogba. There's no Essien. No Ballack. We can't bulldoze our way through teams with mechanical football. 

He's failed his first big test and now the honeymoon is over. If Alonso and Fabregas are not integrated immediately into the starting XI, then I don't know what else to say other than the fans are being robbed.