Chelsea v PSG

Jason
Followers 1

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Tomo said:

You've made me a lot more confident now,any time I have seen the words we are going to get spanked/thrashed/hammered in the pre match thread to a big match we have always pulled a result out, Arsenal away the latest of many examples.

:lol:

I think we'll do enough to get a result on the night, but I don't think we'll prevent them from scoring, which makes it almost impossible to progress - are we really going to outscore PSG?!

I must say that I don't envy Hiddink his position going into this game; the tie is so finely poised, with almost no margin for error.

Speaking from the safety of my 'armchair' (and with no experience whatsoever of actually being in the position that Hiddink currently finds himself in) I think that we should attack PSG from the outset, as this approach possibly allows us the greatest amount of flexibility when it comes to game management. If we score early on, we should press for a second rather than sitting back to defend our slender lead; if we don't score early on, but PSG are struggling to cope with our play, we should also continue to attack (obviously); however, IF we try to attack and PSG show themselves to be more than capable of dealing with our approach (without scoring themselves), we should change to a more pragmatic strategy at around the 20-25 minute mark and try to keep things tight at the back whilst attempting to snatch a goal by way of a set-piece or counter-attack.

Whichever way we decide to play, if PSG score first there is no point in adopting any approach other than all-out attack; we'll need two goals, and we won't get them by playing with caution and fear. Even if we fail to get the goals we need, I would much (MUCH) rather that the players go out fighting (for pride if nothing else) than go out in half-arsed fashion like they did last season. So even if we are losing 0-2 or such like, I want to see the players make every effort to win the game itself, if not the tie. This could be our last match in the CL for some time; let's hope that the team can make it one to remember for the right reasons.

Is the Chelsea of old still alive? The one i fell in love with. If there's even a remembrance of that Chelsea in this team, we're going to send PSG back to france with a baguette between their assess' cheeks.

Team to play PSG: Courtois; Azpilicueta, Cahill, Ivanovic (c), Kenedy; Mikel, Fabregas; Pedro, Willian, Hazard; Diego Costa. #CHEPSG

Kennedy at left back? Good luck kid!!

Great to see Pedro, even better not to see Oscar!

RIP THEM TO PIECES DIEGOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Wow, bit suprising too se Kenedy at Lb for this one. Very interesting line-up, and no Oscar! Feeling more confident! Lets do this!

Hmm. Not sure I like Kenedy starting here up against Lucas or Di Maria. He's not a natural defender and lacks defensive discipline and positional sense. I fear for him here.

Kenedy at LB means that Guus is going all out offensive from the start. Personally I would have probably preferred to see Baba start and then have Kenedey as an extra attacking option but have to respect Guus for having the balls to play him from the start. 

This is possibly the most attacking line-up we can field, I'm just worried that this line-up would struggle to keep a clean sheet against Sunderland let alone PSG.

10 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Kenedy at LB means that Guus is going all out offensive from the start. Personally I would have probably preferred to see Baba start and then have Kenedey as an extra attacking option but have to respect Guus for having the balls to play him from the start. 

It could backfire..i dont think kennedy has defensive discipline

Just now, FabHazard said:

It could backfire..i dont think kennedy has defensive discipline

Yeah of course it could. There are risks with both Baba and Kenedey and I just think that Kenedey is the gamble with a bigger risk but a higher reward potential, and as the underdogs in a European knock out match, this is probably one of the best times to make that gamble. 

• Jason locked this topic