Pep Guardiola To Manage Manchester City

Darogba

Here is  some perspective for people who think Pep has had it easy at Bayern and anyone can do what he has done.

Before last season they have only won three in a row once before, Pep is oncourse to win 3 in a row himself to add to the three in a row Bayern have done (him managing two).

If they hold out to win the Bundesliga this season, it will be the first time they have ever done 4 in a row, yes I know Pep didn't manage for the first of them four but just shows how well he has done to maintain their dominance, its not easy.

And just to add Barca won four in row early 90s but aside from that, they never did more than two until Pep showed up, infact if it wasn't for the genius of José and the sheer determination of our old guard, he would have sweeped up on La Liga and CL titles during his four years.

Luckily he will only be at City for a few years, but its going to be a nightmare for us and the rest of the challengers, the guy is a genius.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Here is  some perspective for people who think Pep has had it easy at Bayern and anyone can do what he has done.

Before last season they have only won three in a row once before, Pep is oncourse to win 3 in a row himself to add to the three in a row Bayern have done (him managing two).

If they hold out to win the Bundesliga this season, it will be the first time they have ever done 4 in a row, yes I know Pep didn't manage for the first of them four but just shows how well he has done to maintain their dominance, its not easy.

And just to add Barca won four in row early 90s but aside from that, they never did more than two until Pep showed up, infact if it wasn't for the genius of José and the sheer determination of our old guard, he would have sweeped up on La Liga and CL titles during his four years.

Luckily he will only be at City for a few years, but its going to be a nightmare for us and the rest of the challengers, the guy is a genius.

I hope I can eat my words, but I honestly don't know who we can get (managers or players) to challenge City next season....but then again, our priority might be to just break into the top 6 again.

If only he had shown up a season earlier...maybe the boys would have shown up at the start of the season a lot more motivated under Jose and wouldn't have slipped so far down the table.

27 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

I hope I can eat my words, but I honestly don't know who we can get (managers or players) to challenge City next season....but then again, our priority might be to just break into the top 6 again.

If only he had shown up a season earlier...maybe the boys would have shown up at the start of the season a lot more motivated under Jose and wouldn't have slipped so far down the table.

Thing is, I think we can return to where we were next season with the right appointment and the astute transfer window similar to 2014 and 2012, unlike when we last dropped out of the top four (for Munich to save us) we still have a lot of quality in the squad.

To compete with Pep can be done but we will have to keep up with the very high standards he will set at Eastland's, Pep teams sweep up against the lesser sides, we (or anyone hoping to compete with him) will need to match that or just be below that then beat him on head to head.

That's why I'm sort off attracted to the idea if Sampaoli, his high energy attacking football is suited to flat track bullying, its a gamble with very high potential rewards.

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

To compete with Pep can be done but we will have to keep up with the very high standards he will set at Eastland's, Pep teams sweep up against the lesser sides, we (or anyone hoping to compete with him) will need to match that or just be below that then beat him on head to head.

Thing is though, I doubt he would find the lesser sides in the Premier League as 'accommodating' as the ones he found in La Liga and Bundesliga.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thing is though, I doubt he would find the lesser sides in the Premier League as 'accommodating' as the ones he found in La Liga and Bundesliga.

I am off the opinion that the lesser sides in this league are very overrated, on the ball most areclueless and lack any real technical skill, if Pep unleashes the pressing game to full effect I just cannot see any team below the standard of Liverpool/Everton coping with them even remotely.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I am off the opinion that the lesser sides in this league are very overrated, on the ball most areclueless and lack any real technical skill, if Pep unleashes the pressing game to full effect I just cannot see any team below the standard of Liverpool/Everton coping with them even remotely.

If the lesser sides are mostly clueless and lack any technical skill, then how come we don't see the bigger sides steamroll them more often? The bottom 5 teams probably fall into that category but those higher than that? They don't considering they have some talented/good players in their ranks and they will likely pose far greater challenge than those Guardiola has faced.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

If the lesser sides are mostly clueless and lack any technical skill, then how come we don't see the bigger sides steamroll them more often? The bottom 5 teams probably fall into that category but those higher than that? They don't considering they have some talented/good players in their ranks and they will likely pose far greater challenge than those Guardiola has faced.

Because no side in England are as good as Real, Barca and Bayern and even then Liverpool and City netted over 100 season before last. Could you imagine Norwich or West Brom at the Camp Nou? Would be massacre.

Out ofthe league teams we have the traditional top seven Saints, Leicester and if we push it Stoke and hammers with a bit of quality, that leaves nine teams that are shite and Pep will take a shit on, 54 points to play for vs those teams and Pep's record suggest he will probably take about or close to 50 against them lot, he will more than likely take at least 13 vs Stoke/Leicester/Saints, which will mean 20 points out of 36 against the big boys will probably win it for him.

Id love to bewrong, I really would, but I can't see past Pep dominating this league for the 3/4 years he is here, especially if he's getting the funds he's reportedly getting.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Because no side in England are as good as Real, Barca and Bayern and even then Liverpool and City netted over 100 season before last. Could you imagine Norwich or West Brom at the Camp Nou? Would be massacre.

Out ofthe league teams we have the traditional top seven Saints, Leicester and if we push it Stoke and hammers with a bit of quality, that leaves nine teams that are shite and Pep will take a shit on, 54 points to play for vs those teams and Pep's record suggest he will probably take about or close to 50 against them lot, he will more than likely take at least 13 vs Stoke/Leicester/Saints, which will mean 20 points out of 36 against the big boys will probably win it for him.

Id love to bewrong, I really would, but I can't see past Pep dominating this league for the 3/4 years he is here, especially if he's getting the funds he's reportedly getting.

You both have good points. Sometimes I ask myself If Premier League is stronger than years ago, or its just the case that we don't have dominant sides as we used to have in the past. The UCL record in recent years leave few doubt: strongest teams in England are not as good as before. United was eliminated by Wolfsburg, a team that at this moment is 8th in Bundesliga, and about the "lesser sides", are Everton better than Málaga or Real Sociedade, are West Ham, Southampton  or Stoke really better than Bilbao and Sevilla? 

55 minutes ago, Henrique said:

You both have good points. Sometimes I ask myself If Premier League is stronger than years ago, or its just the case that we don't have dominant sides as we used to have in the past. The UCL record in recent years leave few doubt: strongest teams in England are not as good as before. United was eliminated by Wolfsburg, a team that at this moment is 8th in Bundesliga, and about the "lesser sides", are Everton better than Málaga or Real Sociedade, are West Ham, Southampton  or Stoke really better than Bilbao and Sevilla? 

When I do watch La Liga and Bundesliga, the lesser sides strike me as more technically able, when I see games in the PL when two bottom half teams come head to head the lack of quality is alarming, take Villa for example, some cock ups theve made this season is beyond ameteur stuff, its just horrible.

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

When I do watch La Liga and Bundesliga, the lesser sides strike me as more technically able, when I see games in the PL when two bottom half teams come head to head the lack of quality is alarming, take Villa for example, some cock ups theve made this season is beyond ameteur stuff, its just horrible.

None of teams in England are as good as Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern Munich but if the lesser sides are as bad as you paint them to be, you would still expect the bigger ones to take points off them consistently. But no. So many of the smaller sides have taken points off their bigger counterparts on a regular basis over the years. And seriously Tomo, using sides like Norwich, West Brom and Aston Villa to justify your views about the lesser sides is clutching at straws because those teams are really poor. Easily fall into the bottom 5 sides category and you know that.

I still stand by the fact that Guardiola is taking over the easiest job in England due to the fact that City have the best squad in England. Now, Guardiola is good as his record speaks for itself but let's not make him sound like a God, who is just going to come to the Premier League and streamroll everyone for the next 3-4 years. Let's see what happens in the summer transfer market and how he does in the first month or so before jumping to any silly conclusions.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

None of teams in England are as good as Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern Munich but if the lesser sides are as bad as you paint them to be, you would still expect the bigger ones to take points off them consistently. But no. So many of the smaller sides have taken points off their bigger counterparts on a regular basis over the years. And seriously Tomo, using sides like Norwich, West Brom and Aston Villa to justify your views about the lesser sides is clutching at straws because those teams are really poor. Easily fall into the bottom 5 sides category and you know that.

I still stand by the fact that Guardiola is taking over the easiest job in England due to the fact that City have the best squad in England. Now, Guardiola is good as his record speaks for itself but let's not make him sound like a God, who is just going to come to the Premier League and streamroll everyone for the next 3-4 years. Let's see what happens in the summer transfer market and how he does in the first month or so before jumping to any silly conclusions.

Well I'll use two other example's, Palace and Watford, been carried by Bolasie/Cabaye and Ighalo/Quique Flores respectively and in recent weeks both teams are being exposed.

Tbh, even if he does take easy jobs, his outstanding work at Barca has earned him that right.

11 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Well I'll use two other example's, Palace and Watford, been carried by Bolasie/Cabaye and Ighalo/Quique Flores respectively and in recent weeks both teams are being exposed.

They might be reliant on certain individuals but at full flow, they are some of the better sides in the division while some are just generally poor, like Villa, West Brom etc. You've seen it yourself.

And if you want to talk about teams being carried by individuals, you could say the same for us really. Without Hazard/Fabregas/Costa, we'll likely get exposed.