The Mourinho Thread

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/02/jose-mourinho-chelsea-eden-hazard-not-for-sale

"We had lots of matches, and long periods this season, where we produced excellent football but we weren't the killer profile"

Seriously jose?

Maybe not lots, but regarding the first half of this season he does have a point,..

The first match against Hull which finished only 2-0, the loss against Stoke away and the loss against Everton away....good football, good chances, but lack of composure in front of goal produced disastrous/lackluster results.

Regarding the youth I replied on the other thread.

Are you actually serious? We were completely utterly shit against Swansea and basically scraped a shitty goal against a TEN man side.

I stated earlier that we played good football in the 1st half against Hull and the 1st 20 mins vs Villa this season.

4-0 AGAINST SPURS!!?!?!? We didn't even create a decent chance all game and scored of 4 of the most comical possible errors in football.

3-1 against United? The 1st goal was ridiculously lucky and the other two were just horrendous defending of set pieces. Then we just parked the bus.

The Arsenal game was alright, even though we were playing against A TEN MAN Arsenal and most of our goals were because of Arsenal's basically allowing us to play though balls splitting their midfield.

Away to Schalke we just parked the bus in the 1st half after scoring of a set piece and then the 2nd half was just easy. Galatasaray were nothing short of horrendous in defence (they lost 4-1 to a 10 man Madrid which was without most of its key players).

Remember our two goals against PSG? The 1st was just a long throw in which we scuffled in and the Ba goal came after our CBs HOOFED the ball into the penalty box at least three times. That's Jose Pulis right there.

I agree though the 1st half against Liverpool was terrific. Incredible stuff, but if anything that proves what Mourinho said was wrong.

Mourinho claimed he had to sacrifice good football for results yet right here we beat Liverpool at home after playing stunning football? Isn't this kinda self-contradictory?

And this is where you've interpreted it wrong...what Mourinho really said was that to marry good football with good results, you need good composure and ability to make the most of the chances the team creates, or else the team would get licked time and again...just Arsenal have against United and Chelsea from 2008-2012 (the current Arsenal can't even create quality chances against these sides). We played against Liverpool that way because we went behind and had no choice. Plus we had a better line-up for that day.

He never said he was going to abandon good football permanently, just to get results

I'm using your post, but I could have quoted many others.

Mourinho said himself early in December, before the Arsenal game (I don't remember in which post-match conference, I guess against Sunderland in the COC or against Stoke) that he felt like he needed to change the style and go a little more defensive and pragmatic because the team wasn't ready for the kind of football he wanted them to play otherwise it'd jeopardize the goals in the season and he was saying constantly the main goal this season was qualifying to next UCL (as well as qualifying to round of 16 in the UCL, I just don't remember if this specific interview was before or after we confirmed our place in round of 16).

So why are people acting surprised now (don't mean you)?

He said it BEFORE he did it and he justified it and a few of us have been reminding everyone about it for a few weeks now. But people are so ready to blame someone, to disregard the manager that changed us a lot this season. We weren't lucky winners (or losers) through the competitions we played. We reached UCL semifinal deservingly getting passed Gala and PSG and we lost deservingly too when a team was better than us.

We won the double of the two possible EPL champions and we played better than them in half those matches. we were competitive against the other 'big sides', but our inability to break down defenses led us to drop points against smaller sides. That's also a problem Mourinho, Hazard and others addressed and I'm positive they're aware something needs to be done.

Mourinho wanted us to play a more attractive or at least offensive style, we weren't ready for that, he took a couple of steps back and set up in a way we would reach the seasons' objectives that have been broadcast by him since the season started which I mentioned above.

But there's also another thing he's been saying for a long time now and we are entitled to ask for results not only based on his words, but also because it means we gave him time to settle and assess the real situation: he's been saying next season we'll fight for the titles, we'll be favorites, we'll be big horses, etc... Mourinho said that and therefore we can come here this time next season and question him if he doesn't reach it (even then we need to be sober enough to know that sometimes you just lose for a small detail, some races are tight). If we present the same football a year from now, he's failed to his own words. If we still struggle against smaller sides, he's failed his own words too. But if we make progress and become real contenders for EPL and UCL (even if for some tragedy we don't win), then it's mission accomplished and titles will come (I'm positive they'll already come next season).

So he announced to the whole world what were the club's goals this season, when he realized he had to stop the work to move to the style he wanted otherwise those objectives would be jeopardized he again announced to the whole world he was taking a step back (what's the point of continuing the evolution of having a more attractive football if we miss our spot in the UCL and can only be able to show such style in Europa League? Arsenal just didn't miss their UCL spot because Everton chocked hard). And lastly, he's been putting a lot of pressure on himself and in the team admitting and taking the role of protagonist next season. He's saying his team will be one of the top dogs next season. His communication has been clear and fine and I think he's been very fair in the objectives he set for the team this season and the next as those objectives seem coherent,realistic and attainable.

I guess people are forgetting that even AVB had to change his tune after his few months here....too bad he wasn't experienced in setting up his team with anything other than a high-line..

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/03/jose-mourinho-chelsea-oscar-dip-form?CMP=twt_gu

Mourinho, who expects the club to secure the Spain striker Diego Costa from Atlético Madrid for around £32m this summer, had complained after losing to Crystal Palace at the end of March that many of his younger players lacked the required mentality, but he is convinced he can still coax consistent form from the creative players at the club. "You can help them to build 'them'," he said, referring back to the word "balls" he had scribbled on a journalist's notepad to describe what his players were missing at Selhurst Park. "I'm not saying I'm going to succeed with every one of them.

"But, for example, I have Dr Paco Biosca, the doctor at Shakhtar Donetsk for many years with Willian, and he says he doesn't recognise Willian now: the professional, the player, the commitment. The only thing he recognises is the talent.

"You can't succeed with everybody. You try to help but it's up to them. Every one who is in an age of improvement needs to improve. You can't improve John Terry, Ashley Cole. If you keep them in the position where they are, it's fantastic. All of the others have to improve. Has André Schürrle had a good season? Not bad but next season must be better. Mohamed Salah, Oscar, Willian, Eden Hazard … all of them are in an age of improvement."

Nice to see Azpil giving a mention as a 'spine' as well as Kalas.

I am really 'giddy' about the future, for the first time in some many years i might add, under a manager and what we can become. We have the potential (been there for a couple of years) and now we have the mastermind!

Bring on summer preseason :)

"plus the stability that Matic and Ramires can give"

I guess we will be seeing more of Ramires next season as a starter to my disappointment. The dream of a DLP to partner matic can die for now.

So according to this article, because of what Mou said in the PC our new untouchables are "Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Matic and Ramires and, possibly, Willian". Couldn't be anymore wrong IMO. There aren't any untouchables in this team yet.

And neither should there ever be. More rubbish from the journos