Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

The Mourinho Thread

Followers 3

I think one of the reasons Jose has stuck with the 4-2-3-1 is because you can have a more attacking counter setup, my point being that with a 4-3-3 you always have three midfielders, you have more midfield tools to pass, block, intercept, etc, with the 4-2-3-1 yes you can drop off but that also comes with a bit of a connotation that, that is not their main purpose, which is different with a 4-3-3. With 4-2-3-1 you can arguably notice the lack of forward tracking, something that was seen from hazard against atletico for example.

Atletico game isn't really a good example considering we played more of the 4-3-3 you're describing (like we do in most of the bigger games anyway).
  • Replies 38.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jase

• Fernando

• xPetrCechx

• Tomo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm genuinely surprised by how some don't seem to realize how bad the situation really is. This is by far worse than any of the 'bad runs' by any of our previous managers. It's our worst start to a se

Posted Images

Atletico game isn't really a good example considering we played more of the 4-3-3 you're describing (like we do in most of the bigger games anyway).

chelsea-atleti_zpsa42cb394.jpg

Not really when it comes to tasks. 4-3-3's how i see them have specific tasks for much of the game. A drop off doesn't mean true 4-3-3 at all.

A midfielder in Hazard's place would have probably tracked the run. Defense was also quite stretched, to have an attacker defend a diagonal like that is a bit of a stretch.

chelsea-atleti_zpsa42cb394.jpg

Not really when it comes to tasks. 4-3-3's how i see them have specific tasks for much of the game. A drop off doesn't mean true 4-3-3 at all.

A midfielder in Hazard's place would have probably tracked the run. Defense was also quite stretched, to have an attacker defend a diagonal like that is a bit of a stretch.

Fair enough - but tasks/roles are different from formations set. You can still deploy a more defensive 4-2-3-1, it really just depends on the role you give your players.

I'd still argue that that formation against Atletico was a 4-3-3.

FOr me what makes the true difference between the 4-3-3 are the players not the way we play. If you have a Matic, Ramires and Oscar no matter how they play this is a 4-2-3-1, if we play with Lampard (OScar out) it would be a 4-3-3.

If you have players that are no.10's you won't play in 4-3-3 because for that you need players like Lampard, Gerrard, Schweinsteiger, VIdal. Players less offensive, but a lot more complete than a true number 10 like Oscar, Kaka, Ozil, etc.

That will depend on the quality of players, but in football we have more great players similar to Oscar, than similar to Lampard.

FOr me what makes the true difference between the 4-3-3 are the players not the way we play. If you have a Matic, Ramires and Oscar no matter how they play this is a 4-2-3-1, if we play with Lampard (OScar out) it would be a 4-3-3.

If you have players that are no.10's you won't play in 4-3-3 because for that you need players like Lampard, Gerrard, Schweinsteiger, VIdal. Players less offensive, but a lot more complete than a true number 10 like Oscar, Kaka, Ozil, etc.

That will depend on the quality of players, but in football we have more great players similar to Oscar, than similar to Lampard.

mate, Oscar excels in Brazil NT's 4-3-3... I don't know what you're talking about when you say he makes the system a 4-2-3-1. He's much more suited for a 4-3-3 than for a 4-2-3-1 at this point in his development curve.

• Like 3

mate, Oscar excels in Brazil NT's 4-3-3... I don't know what you're talking about when you say he makes the system a 4-2-3-1. He's much more suited for a 4-3-3 than for a 4-2-3-1 at this point in his development curve.

Brazil plays exactly the same way Portugal did for more than 10 years (including with Scolari, right now is a little different because we don't have Deco anymore), the same way Chelsea does it, or last year Madrid. A 4-2-3-1 with Oscar as number 10.

It's something different from what right now Portugal do with Moutinho, or Spain with Inista and Xavi when Alonso is not in the field. That's a 4-3-3. Not Brazil.

I love how the media have even managed to brainwash even a section off our own supporters with this bus parking bollox, it's truly unbelievable.

The games in question mainly were Old Trafford, The Emirates, The Calederon, Anfield. The first two we approached with the tactic Fergie use to employ a lot in big away games, try and win but also be mindful that a draw away at a title rival (or in United's case who we thought would be one) isn't the end off the world. The latter two we were severly weakened and heading to the home's off the 2 most in form team's in Europe, any one who doesn't go defensive under those circumstances is an idiot and would get the hammering their stupidity deserves (Wenger at Anfield and The Bridge).
Sometimes it's like people don't have their own unique opinions and are just copying and pasting from the daily star website or John Cross's twitter account.

We did play some attacking futbol, but after the Sunderlan defeat in the Capital One we revert to a more defensive mind approach (coincidentally this is when Oscar disappear as well).

In fact Mounrinho said this, that he had to change that style to a less pragmatic approach in order to secure top 4.

I wonder, will we be struggling again to qualify for top 4 this season if he goes to what he was trying at the beginning of the season?

• Like 1

Wanna hear what my friend, who thinks he knows football, said about Chelsea's playing style? Here ya go:P

" Mou played with 6 in the back and one striker for like 3 months, he doesn't even use midfielders besides Matic. He didn't even play a natural CAM anymore it was a 7-2-1. Ramires, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Luiz, Azpi, Hazard, Matic/Mikel, Torres."

He then said Mou "plays" with a 4-2-3-1 but not really.

"Its a 4-2-3-1, but everyone drops back except Torres. Mou was even bitching at Hazard because he didn't know how to mark. Hazard, Willan drop all the way back and played as wing backs, the midfielders form a line of 3 and Torres stays on top, when its a counter Hazard and Willan run up, unless they are playing a shit team. Then they attack."

I told him everyone has to track back on Mou's teams, but on the counter they attacked like normal. Our wingers just didn't creat chances, or have anyone to create for.

Please someone say something to stop me from laughing.

He also said we parked the bus against City, Pool, Atleti.

He also said we parked the bus against City, Pool, Atleti.

ScoreBoard!!!

All you have to do is say what was the score against those 3 teams. He will realize that CFC came out on top in two of those cases. He must be a manure supporter :rolleyes:

ScoreBoard!!!

All you have to do is say what was the score against those 3 teams. He will realize that CFC came out on top in two of those cases. He must be a manure supporter :rolleyes:

He is! And Real Madrid. Silly plastic fans.

• Like 1
I agree re Jose but the myth that Pep walked into an already great Barca team just simply isn't true.

He did walk into a great situation but he helped build it as well. The thing that people forget to acknowledge is Pep changed the philosophy and made Barcelona a Spanish team again. Previously they relied on a lot of Dutch and Brazilian talent to achieve success, Pep brought through a lot of Spanish talent and while he won at Barca he also help the national team win as well.

He will go down as a Spanish legend for this.

• Like 1

He did walk into a great situation but he helped build it as well. The thing that people forget to acknowledge is Pep changed the philosophy and made Barcelona a Spanish team again. Previously they relied on a lot of Dutch and Brazilian talent to achieve success, Pep brought through a lot of Spanish talent and while he won at Barca he also help the national team win as well.

He will go down as a Spanish legend for this.

He is already one of the greatest Spanish manager in football history thanks to his Barcelona 09-11. They are immortal forever now, nothing can change that. Even if he retires from management in 2 years he will still be remember for winning every single trophy in 2 seasons and winning 2 CL in 3 years. Same with the likes of Jose, Del Bosque, Heynckes, Ancelotti...etc

Fernando loves Stevie

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fernando-torres-felt-like-king-3618472

Torres is going nowhere, and I could honestly see Mourinho having a tissy fit and leaving because of it, somewhere down the line

Can you really see Jose leaving over it? Jose is the kind of guy who just won't play him if he doesn't want him in the team.