The Mourinho Thread

Mourinho's philosophy has always struck me as:

"I've already shown you guys how to stop "x" team from hurting us. Go out and beat "x" team. After all, we have more quality than they do and that eventually will tell"

It was instructive to listen to Mourinho wax lyrical about all the preparation he had done to ensure our players knew about all the means Leicester could score and win, as he's done several times this season.

But was what alarming about Chelsea was not Leicester's goals against us, but how clueless we looked in their final 3rd till they scored! Mourinho hardly ever speaks about that side, aside from some basic stuff here and there. "I told him to make some movement" How can players make movements when there is no space? Or when no one is attacking space? Or when the passing is so slow and ponderous? That's training ground stuff and we have to ask why we hardly ever saw it in almost 3 years.

Mourinho's philosophy has always struck me as:

"I've already shown you guys how to stop "x" team from hurting us. Go out and beat "x" team. After all, we have more quality than they do and that eventually will tell"

It was instructive to listen to Mourinho wax lyrical about all the preparation he had done to ensure our players knew about all the means Leicester could score and win, as he's done several times this season.

But was what alarming about Chelsea was not Leicester's goals against us, but how clueless we looked in their final 3rd till they scored! Mourinho hardly ever speaks about that side, aside from some basic stuff here and there. "I told him to make some movement" How can players make movements when there is no space? Or when no one is attacking space? Or when the passing is so slow and ponderous? That's training ground stuff and we have to ask why we hardly ever saw it in almost 3 years.

and yet Steve Holland said they worked hard in training on movement in attack.

Another betrayal by players perhaps?

And that movement is evident in a lot of play....except for Costa. I have no idea what went wrong with him but his movement has been atrocious in every regard this season.

I get that some people want to paint Jose as being pragmatic to the point of not wanting to score goals, but I don't think anyone can have his level of success without knowing how to do things at both ends of the pitch.

Maybe he 'closed us down' too early last season so we coasted to the title (certainly holds some merit) but we simply didn't get going this season and a lot of that has to do with us not improving the squad in the summer. No team can stand still off the pitch and expect to get better on it.

The club stood still in the summer and Jose never had the tools necessary to mount a title defence. It shouldn't have gotten this bad though.

And that movement is evident in a lot of play....except for Costa. I have no idea what went wrong with him but his movement has been atrocious in every regard this season.

I get that some people want to paint Jose as being pragmatic to the point of not wanting to score goals, but I don't think anyone can have his level of success without knowing how to do things at both ends of the pitch.

Maybe he 'closed us down' too early last season so we coasted to the title (certainly holds some merit) but we simply didn't get going this season and a lot of that has to do with us not improving the squad in the summer. No team can stand still off the pitch and expect to get better on it.

The club stood still in the summer and Jose never had the tools necessary to mount a title defence. It shouldn't have gotten this bad though.

Costa came back with a muffin top. As wee Pat said, if hed stuck in half the one on ones hed had with keepers we'd be talking about the top four. Substitute the lairy one with Lewandowski and we'd be in the top four.

And what does "movement" have to do with being able to build an attacking philosophy? Not much. Movement isn't going to break down a team playing low block for 90 minutes. And besides, movement is but only one facet of building an attacking philosophy like for instance, keeping the defensive line in building an organised defense.

Idiots. Atmosphere next Saturday will be fucking choking, lots of booing; lots of Mou chants; probably irrational but considering who Jose is to this club completely understandable, whereas nearly all of the players couldn't care less at the end of the day. Many will be booed, completely deservedly - the players can't win whether they perform well or badly now.

I'm still disgusted. Fucking vilified even, because it should be on the players, but no we took the easy way out and got rid of the manager instead. He oozes blue, unless we appoint a former player no other manager will come close to that and even then not to the same skillset as Mourinho and quite frankly we're rotten to the core as a club now, just another plastic facade with no identity.

Chrismada9; exactly what I feel, cheers for the video.

And what does "movement" have to do with being able to build an attacking philosophy? Not much. Movement isn't going to break down a team playing low block for 90 minutes. And besides, movement is but only one facet of building an attacking philosophy like for instance, keeping the defensive line in building an organised defense.

Its what you were on about it your post I answered.....so I remained specific to that point.

Steve Holland mentioned other stuff they worked on in attack as well

Hahaha well it had to be something enormous to bring you back here.

A CL final or a relegation would have worked just as fine. I feel like I'm too old to be bothered about managerial BS anymore. That's modern football I guess.. It could only get worse if JT moves to the MLS or something instead of retiring here.

Its what you were on about it your post I answered.....so I remained specific to that point.

Steve Holland mentioned other stuff they worked on in attack as well

Holland can say what he wants. It's all words if you can't show if Mourinho and his management staff can't show it on the pitch. We're the most turgid team to watch despite having a collection of the best attackers in the Premier league. So then what the hell are they "working on" exactly? Maybe he's just not good enough at "working on" it and that's one of the reasons he's no longer the manager.

A CL final or a relegation would have worked just as fine. I feel like I'm too old to be bothered about managerial BS anymore. That's modern football I guess.. It could only get worse if JT moves to the MLS or something instead of retiring here.

Club is slowly running out of 'leaders'..